ROM Hack I want to explore the contents of a .cia file, but I'm having trouble. Help would be appreciated!

Subscriber0101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I, since it's like one of my top 5 games of all time, really want to explore the contents of the Virtue's Last Reward game. I own the game on VITA (played it on a borrowed friend's 3DS on the past), and since VITA homebrew is a... work in progress ATM, it seems my only hope of exploring this game's secrets is in the 3DS version.

My goal is to explore the contents of VLR on my PC, but I currently do not own a 3ds.

How can I explore the contents of this .cia file using only my PC? I tried to use 3DS explorer, but it read that I had an error concerning the ticket. I've tried using ctrtrool but it flashes on my PC for a second then closes.

I have the .cia file of the game. What should I do? Should I download the .3ds version and see if that works with 3DSexplorer? Is there a ctrtool tutorial out there?

Thanks!

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must own a 3DS with custom firmware, then install Decrypt9 on your 3DS, and create a folder named, "D9Game" on the root of your SD card.
After that, you need to drag that .cia file you have into the "D9Game" folder, turn on the 3DS, navigate to Decrypt9 by using either Luma payloads or Homebrew Launcher.
On the Decrypt9 menu, click on Game Decryptor Options, and then navigate to CIA Decryptor (Deep).
Wait until it's finished decrypting the .cia file, then take the SD card out your 3DS and plug it into your computer. After that, the file you placed in D9Game should be decrypted.
From there, what you want to do is download the PackHack made by Asia81 in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-a-cia.388677/
Once downloaded, extract the folder to anywhere you want, and open it. Once opened, You should see 3 files. One of them is named, "PackHack". Open that, and run Setup.exe file. After that, drag your decrypted .cia file into that PackHack folder, and click on HackingToolkit3DS.exe.
What you want to do, is extract the .cia, so type in CE. After that, it will ask you to type in the name of the file without the extension, so type it in. (I recommend you to rename the .cia file so that it does not have a space in it. Also, make it short.)
After that, it should ask if you want to decompress the code.bin. This is optional, since you don't really need it for much.
So either type in "n" for no, or "y" for yes, and wait for everything to be extracted. It should take a few minutes, but after that, you should have a DecryptedRomFS folder in the PackHack folder. That folder, contains everything in the game from graphics, codes, sounds, etc.

Anddd congratulation, if you do everything I said, you should have successfully extracted your game and you're now free to edit anything you want in the game.
Hope this helps

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you do not own a 3DS with custom firmware, then your only luck of exploring the files is to ask someone to decrypt the .cia file for you, or find a decrypted .cia version, then you can use the PackHack to extract the game.

Last edited by Pokem,

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up for OP-- the only things I've been able to obtain from the VLR rom are the still scene images (which are in .png format for some stupid reason) and the music. Everything else (models, etc) is in some arcane archival format that hasn't been supported by anything for over six years.

If anyone can prove me wrong, please do so.

Edit: I've proved myself wrong, this thing is a godsend

(Also, if you actually want to rip the Vita rom, it is now technically possible, but not currently supported, to do so on the latest firmware.)

Last edited by ultramario1998,

Subscriber0101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up for OP-- the only things I've been able to obtain from the VLR rom are the still scene images (which are in .png format for some stupid reason) and the music. Everything else (models, etc) is in some arcane archival format that hasn't been supported by anything for over six years.

If anyone can prove me wrong, please do so.

(Also, if you actually want to rip the Vita rom, it is now technically possible, but not currently supported, to do so on the latest firmware.)
Really? That solves it then xD

I've been looking for VLR's slightly remixed version of "Riddle and Puzzle" (you have to be a ZE aficionado to tell, but it's slightly improved from 999). Any chance you can rip it for me (if you still have the decrypted files)?

Also, could you pull the voice files?

Last edited by Subscriber0101,

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? That solves it then xD

I've been looking for VLR's slightly remixed version of "Riddle and Puzzle" (you have to be a ZE aficionado to tell, but it's slightly improved from 999). Any chance you can rip it for me (if you still have the decrypted files)?

Also, could you pull the voice files?
Yeah. Give me a little bit, I'll see what I can do :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!