i think ds4windows is gonna end

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
i asked ryochan about what's gonna happen now that vigembus is dead and they said this:
1698612421976.png

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i asked ryochan about what's gonna happen now that vigembus is dead and they said this:
View attachment 401759
The whole thing is rather unfortunate.

screwed over by coders working for Meta, HP, and reWASD.
I admit I was surprised to see ViGEmBus show up when I installed the Oculus software for use with Revive, but at the same time:
>Puts source code under a permissive license
>People and companies exercise their rights under the permissive license
>:O

This is at least the 4th incident of significantly destructive license remorse I've encountered this year, and it's quite exhausting.
Most cases of license remorse I've encountered are from the GPL, but... you put your software under an extremely permissive corporate-friendly license and didn't expect companies to use it?

Between Nef's apparent shift towards proprietary software, seemingly with minimal concern for the wide range of FOSS projects built upon it, and my past interactions with him, it leaves me with the sentiment "wow, I'd really prefer to avoid this guy's software as much as possible".

Ultimately it's the same way I'd avoid products/services from companies who change their licensing model on a whim in a professional setting (RHEL/CentOS, MongoDB, Terraform, Unity's still kinda uneasy, etc).

And Like I get it, it's free, yadda yadda yadda, but at the same time, it unfortunately serves as the foundation of many other FOSS projects in which people have invested countless hours, and to pull the rug out from under them to seemingly build some competing proprietary software, that can't possibly serve all the same niches as the former, leaves a bad taste. That and the evident lack of useful communication between Nef and arguably one of the largest/oldest FOSS projects using ViGEmBus.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch