Hacking I seriously need some help with my 4.0 Wii

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off I know there are a TON of sticky and post about how to get shit up and running on a 4.0 Wii and I've read them all and tried them all and nothing is working.

I use to be on 3.2 and I had the Homebrew channel and all sorts of apps that I would use to get a little extra excitement out of my Wii. One day the apps just stopped working and the Wii would either hang on a black screen or give me the DSI exception screen from there I used all sorts of programs to try and fix it like AnyTitleDeleter and NANDClean but that never worked. I uninstalled the homebrew channel and reinstalled it but still the same thing. Long story short, I deleted IOS 22, my hombrew channel 8 disc needed it so I updated to 4.0 because of the new hacks that were out but nothing is working.

Tried the Trucha Bug Restorer and that didn't work. Tried some stuff from a website I can't post and that didn't work. I can't install the hackmii beta 2 because it hangs on a black screen with the Wii disc light flashing. I can't run WADManager, I can't run GeckoOS, cIOS rev X Installers, nothing. I can get an old ass version of Ocarina to boot up through bannerbomb but it hangs on the "looking for codes" The only thing it seems I'm able to run is Trucha Bug Restorer but that never helps me.

I really want to go back to the days of Animal Crossing Map Editor and Savegame extracting and I want to hear that awesome Homebrew channel music again. I'm hardmodded with a WiiKey 1 so I can still play all my backups and retail games but thats only have the fun
frown.gif

Please please please someone has to know what the fuck I have done to my Wii to help me get it back into some homebrew glory days. If you need any more information I can tell you I suppose. Thanks to anyone who can help me.
cry.gif

EDIT: I'm on a launch day Wii if that matters at all

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased a Wii on ebay that had some odd issues (black screening on games, etc), and it was a 3.1U. What I did was I used the official Nintendo update (through your Wii settings) and updated it to v4.1U (latest). Afterward, I rebooted and then used the format system option (again, in Wii settings) and rebooted. This brought me right to factory fresh...with initial setup on reload. From there I did bannerbomb/HBC install..etc. I did this on two Wii systems to bring it back to "out of the box" condition, so that might be something you may want to try.

When you do get it back to stock, try the "Ultimate 4.0 Guide" here in the forums. I used the offline install and it worked out beautifully.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
try another non-sdhc sd card and try to run the hackmii installer.
try different versions of bannerbomb.
if you eventually get the hackmii installer running, make a nand backup asap to see if you have any bad blocks [possibly the source of your problems]

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. your Wii boots up just fine, right? But it wigs out when trying to do anything that involves the SD card? What errors are you getting? Try a different SD card, or full formatting the one you have now?

I'd definitely recommend Zektor's post for doing a clean sweep of the system. It will atleast get you back to basics where you can start over. In the end, seeing as you have a release Wii, install BootMii to boot2 and call it a day.

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of the NAND backup back before I updated my wii I did do a NAND backup, in fact it still may be on one of my sd cards. And I did run a NAND check and there was one bad block. I wrote down what sector it was in but I think I tossed it out a while back.

So I guess maybe thats whats fucking up my wii and I guess I'll give installing bootmii later in the day.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, this is the *best* time to get your system to factory fresh condition. The reason being is that even when you use the official update and then format, the bannerbomb method STILL works on this system menu. If Nintendo were to fix it in a v4.2 tomorrow, it would be much more difficult to do this.

What I did was the update and then format, and when the system shut down I used bootmii (already installed as boot2) to back up the "clean" nand. In other words, I have a nand backup that (when restored) would bring me immediately to the initial setup of the system! No better backup than that
smile.gif

Of course I also created a "softmodded" backup that is simply a backup of the nand AFTER performing the softmods.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YumYumSauce said:
Speaking of the NAND backup back before I updated my wii I did do a NAND backup, in fact it still may be on one of my sd cards. And I did run a NAND check and there was one bad block. I wrote down what sector it was in but I think I tossed it out a while back.

So I guess maybe thats whats fucking up my wii and I guess I'll give installing bootmii later in the day.

Almost every Wii has some bad blocks (both of mine have multiple..they are marked bad at the factory)...no need to write anything down. Just get a backup and make sure you let it VERIFY or the backup will be useless.

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so what I need to do is this:
Get bootmii
Launch it through banner bomb
back up the NAND
and then I get lost I'm not completely sure about what I need to do

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YumYumSauce said:
OK so what I need to do is this:
Get bootmii
Launch it through banner bomb
back up the NAND
and then I get lost I'm not completely sure about what I need to do

Follow my first post after creating your backup. You are just making this backup as a "just in case" feature. If all goes well in the update-format-reinstall, you can then make a new nand backup afterward (with everything running ok)

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I already formatted my Wii once before i updated to 4.0 and that didn't really help me the way I was hoping, but I guess I'll give it another try, I'm kinda running out of options.

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I've been really busy these past few days with work and stupid fucking parties that I should have never gone to. Anyways I'm still a little aprehensive about updating and formatting my Wii because I just did that like a month ago and I have some saves that can't be copied. I'll try running savegame extractor and see what happens and then I'll go from there.

Also is there just a way to get bootmii without having to go through the huge installer that comes with the homebrew channel?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
its not huge, its like 2mb.

you dont have install nothing else just go to the bootmii part.

use savegame manager instead of the extractor.

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well savegame manager requires cIOS249 and everytime I try to use the cIOS patchmii installer all I get is a black screen but it doesn't really matter because even just the extractor doesn't work. Nothing but darkness is always the end result. OK so I'm off to update and format and we'll see how that goes.

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to extract savegames
tongue.gif
Some saves can't be copied or moved so I wanted to keep them but whatever. I can always play through The Conduit again.

WELL JUST GREAT. I updated and I reformatted and I tried to install the hackmii beta 2 and nothing. I still get the black screen, I still get a blink blue disc drive. I tried 2 sd cards and not a godamn thing has changed. This shit is driving me fucking nuts. I just want to go crazy on Animal Crossing with the map editor and cheat at Exitebots. My Wii seems doomed to play nothing but games without any fun homebrew shit on it.

YumYumSauce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the thing is I can't boot GeckoOS. I can't do a damn thing homebrew on my Wii. Thats kinda what this thread was about; to help me be able to get gecko OS and the homebrew channel and all that other awesome shit up and running

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1