ROM Hack I need help with 3ds not booting

Cdiddy1122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was attempting to get my 3ds to patch Majora's Mask 3d with the restoration mod, but it was being stubborn. I attempted to downgrade my Luma to see if that fixed or affected anything, and I did this by updating the boot.firm on the 3ds system itself, not just the SD Card as that was not working. My system then crashed with the Arm11 undefined instruction error. Now all that it does is display the error code when I attempt to boot my console. I am able to launch into the Luma menu, but if I try to boot into my home menu from there the system crashes. I cannot boot into gm9 to load a NAND backup. The Luma on the SD Card is the latest version, and I have tried reinstalling gm9 to no avail. Please Help!

Reactions: Shadow#1

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was attempting to get my 3ds to patch Majora's Mask 3d with the restoration mod, but it was being stubborn. I attempted to downgrade my Luma to see if that fixed or affected anything, and I did this by updating the boot.firm on the 3ds system itself, not just the SD Card as that was not working. My system then crashed with the Arm11 undefined instruction error. Now all that it does is display the error code when I attempt to boot my console. I am able to launch into the Luma menu, but if I try to boot into my home menu from there the system crashes. I cannot boot into gm9 to load a NAND backup. The Luma on the SD Card is the latest version, and I have tried reinstalling gm9 to no avail. Please Help!
if you got firmware 11.14 you cannot downgrade luma as you will always get a crash error. You need the latest 10.2.1 to get past that error.

Reactions: Cdiddy1122

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems your 3DS cannot use the file on the SD and falls back to the CTRNAND copy.

Backup your SD to a computer and check it for defects and fake with h2testw. Apply Quad format to it before providing latest Luma3DS boot.firm on it again.

Another quick test would be trying a secondary, FAT32 formatted SD containing only boot.firm and nothing else. The version on SD always has the priority and if it is not loaded something is wrong with the SD or (very bad) the SD reader.

Good luck!

Cdiddy1122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems your 3DS cannot use the file on the SD and falls back to the CTRNAND copy.

Backup your SD to a computer and check it for defects and fake with h2testw. Apply Quad format to it before providing latest Luma3DS boot.firm on it again.

Another quick test would be trying a secondary, FAT32 formatted SD containing only boot.firm and nothing else. The version on SD always has the priority and if it is not loaded something is wrong with the SD or (very bad) the SD reader.

Good luck!
Ok so I did the quad reformat method and scanned with h2testw and it detected no issues. I attempted a boot with all of the files on my SD card (emulators, roms, ect.) and I had the same crash. I tried using only the boot.firm and same result.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Ok so I did the quad reformat method and scanned with h2testw and it detected no issues. I attempted a boot with all of the files on my SD card (emulators, roms, ect.) and I had the same crash. I tried using only the boot.firm and same result.
Oh... Perharps, the SD card slot of your console is failing, dirty or damaged, then.

Try now to use another SD card (with the appropiate format given by quadruple format technique) and with only the latest Luma boot.firm on its root (as @KleinesSinchen said).

• If also that fails, then check for any kind of hardware failure on the SD slot itself.
  • But, if it works, then perform the entire Finalizing setup guide from here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup.html (before to perform it, copy the boot.3dsx file from Luma latest version on the SD card root)
PS: Do you have an OLD (3DS/2DS) model console? Are you perharps using a microSD-to-SD adapter/converter? Because, in that case, the adapter perharps could be failing/damaged.

Last edited by fmkid,

Cdiddy1122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh... Perharps, the SD card slot of your console is failing, dirty or damaged, then.

Try now to use another SD card (with the appropiate format given by quadruple format technique) and with only the latest Luma boot.firm on its root (as @KleinesSinchen said).

• If also that fails, then check for any kind of hardware failure on the SD slot itself.
  • But, if it works, then perform the entire Finalizing setup guide from here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup.html (before to perform it, copy the boot.3dsx file from Luma latest version on the SD card root)
PS: Do you have an OLD (3DS/2DS) model console? Are you perharps using a microSD-to-SD adapter/converter? Because, in that case, the adapter perharps could be failing/damaged.

The quad formated second SD resulted in the same error, but I don't see any visible damage inside the SD card reader. I am going to take apart the system just to be sure, as I can't see very well inside the SD reader as is. i am using an O3DS, and am not using a micro SD adapter.

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Just for clarify:
  • Before to get the error, do you know if you update your console to the latest FW version (11.14)? Or what another system version it have (that you know)?
  • What's the Luma version that is shown when you boot your console while pressing SELECT? And, on the bottom screen, what of the following text chains is shown (on yellow): "Booted from CTRNAND via B9S" or "Booted from SD via B9S"?
  • And, it would be good if you put an image or the exactly error that is shown by the console on booting, anyway

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: Cdiddy1122

Cdiddy1122

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for clarify:
  • Before to get the error, do you know if you update your console to the latest FW version (11.14)? Or what another system version it have (that you know)?
  • What's the Luma version that is shown when you boot your console while pressing SELECT? And, on the bottom screen, what of the following text chains is shown (on yellow): "Booted from CTRNAND via B9S" or "Booted from SD via B9S"?
  • And, it would be good if you put an image or the exactly error that is shown by the console on booting, anyway
The version that is on the system is 10.0.1 - 50f5826. the version that the system can boot into is 10.2.1 from SD via Firm0. Here is a picture of the error.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 235

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
the version that the system can boot into is 10.2.1 from SD via Firm0.
Oh, I see now. That's the reason because any file on your SD (and the SD itself) "is not recognized". Apparently you install the Luma boot.firm payload directly on FIRM0 (replacing the boot9strap payload).

Edit: What if you now create on the SD a folder called "luma" and open it. Then create another folder called "payloads" into the "luma" one. And finally, perform this: https://3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s

If you do this, then you restore boot9strap installation to the FIRM0 (in change of Luma). And your console will back to the normally again with luck!

Last edited by fmkid,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-