PS1/2 I need help identifying my PlayStation 2 Mod chip (pics included)

iHumzah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

Like the tile says I need some help identifying the mod chip in my PlayStation 2. I've been using it for 5 years without even knowing what make it is. It can boot up ps2 game without button combinations.

The reason I want to know what mod chip it is, is because my ps2 laser has gotten really bad now. For some games I spend 10-15 minutes pressing reset to finally get the game to work. I am interested in booting my games from a HDD. I am about to invest in a network adapter and IDE HDD. I researched methods on how to boot the Hard drive loader and I found out that for mod chips you can boot external software using button combos (to get into a developer or boot? Menu).

So could someone please identify my mod chip and tell me if I will be able to boot external software.
image.jpg
image.jpg

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
You are better off getting IDE HDD/Network adapter and Free MC Boot.
did you read anything he said? he wants to load games from a hard drive, but he doesn't know if he will be able to like, load the software from a disk due to his modchip.
the answer is yes :) doesn't matter what modchip you have, pretty sure. still, sorry, i'm not sure what modchip you have :)
then yes, either copy fhdb to the hard drive from your pc, which means you don't need to load any disk to set this up, or, you could load the software from a disk, via your modchip.
anyway, it's possible, find some guides to do what you want :)

Reactions: iHumzah and migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
all info i could find, i did a google search about dvd 9 ps2 chip i found 1 picture then used google image search on that picture which did get me just about 5 websites or something...

heres the info i had found: http://www.asia.ru/en/ProductInfo/1004730.html

heres a website with info suposely from the chip company...

http://www.tradeim.com/product_2114725_DVD-9-Mod-chip-mod-chip-for-PS2-Game-accessories.htm

edit for curiosity : in the asia link it does have a website link from the company. but after a google translate it seems is an antivirus company.... or old domain was sold\the website is incorrect or the company followed a strange path from modchip manufacter to antivirus company... maybe they did learn skills of reverse enginner?

Reactions: iHumzah and cearp

iHumzah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Upon further inspection of the chip I found a smiley face.
Magic III
Auto detect v1-v7

So I guess I have a magic III mod chip.

Reactions: cearp

iHumzah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you could load the software from a disk, via your modchip.
anyway, it's possible, find some guides to do what you want :)

By software do you mean fhdb, or the external software I was planning on using (OPL) to launch the games from the hard drive?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
By software do you mean fhdb, or the external software I was planning on using (OPL) to launch the games from the hard drive?
honestly, i'm not great with ps2 hacking stuff, but, once you have your hard drive, if you have an ide able to connect it to your computer, you can install fhdb, amonsgt other things, which will let you run whatever software you want. doing it this way, you install the exploit to the hard drive. i shouldn't have mentioned this really, since it's a tricker version to do what you need, and you have a perfectly fine way of doing what you need, easier than this :) (fhdb is just a versoin of fmcb, free memory card boot, but for the hard drive - so, you don't need the hacked memory card in the ps2, since the hard drive has the exploit on, but honestly, having it on the memory card is no issue at all, it means you can take it to other people's houses etc etc)

the 'normal' way, is to run a hacked game or something, which will then load up the fmcb installer, so you can install the hack to your memory card.
from that, you can run whatever software you want. you will be able to run whatever disk you need to install fmcb, because you have a modchip.

so, basically, what i would do is, go here - http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=launchers.html
download the latest cd or dvd version of ulaunchelf (app to load software).

normally, a ps2 would not read it, but since your ps2 is modded, it will load (hopefully, you have a bad laser lol)

then, on a usb stick, you can put on fmcb. browse to the usb stick and launch the installer of fmcb.
http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/noobie.php

this will install the exploit to your memory card, then, when you boot up your ps2, you will be able to select the ulaunchelf app (so you don't need that disk for it anymore)
with this, you will be able to copy OPL to your memory card, then, you can set up your HD when you get it, put games on it etc etc.. :)

good luck

Reactions: iHumzah

iHumzah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
honestly, i'm not great with ps2 hacking stuff
You seem like you know a lot

i shouldn't have mentioned this really, since it's a tricker version to do what you need
I'm actually really glad you did :) I had no idea this existed and it was just the kind of thing i was looking for

so, basically, what i would do is, go here - http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=launchers.html
download the latest cd or dvd version of ulaunchelf (app to load software).

normally, a ps2 would not read it, but since your ps2 is modded, it will load (hopefully, you have a bad laser lol)
I tried this one time in the past but it didnt work :( I might try it again though just to rule out any errors. If it doesn't work then I still have the fmhd to fall back on.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
haha well, i know a bit since i was in a similar situation a few weeks ago :)
i still didn't get opl set up with games on the hd, i'll do that when i have more time.

hmm... i think the disk should work, try both cd and dvd versions... i'm not sure.
but, yes, as long as you can connect the ide hard drive to your computer (like, if you have an usb ide housing, a usb ide cable, a spare ide slot to plug it in in your desktop etc) you will be able to do what you want without any disks, i'm pretty sure :)

iHumzah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure if i should make a new thread (some advice would be appreciated) but here it goes.....

My HDD and Network adapter arrived today. At first I tried to install fhdb using WinHIIP (to format the drive) and HDDRawCopy Tool(to install the fhdb image). But it wouldn't work. So then I opted to install HDDOSD (browser v2.00) using the same method (WinHIIP and HDDRawCopy Tool) which was successful. The image I used contained a few apps (including ulaunchelf, OPL and some others which I cant remember).

Then I wanted to install some games using WinHIIP. So I selected my drive added the image only one game for now (which was already ripped and on my pc) and it copied over to the drive. I then unplugged the HDD from the PC and plugged it into my PS2, but this time the loading part (where the music and animation of the cubes plays, the one when you boot the ps2) hangs about (not frozen) animated and playing music for a REALLY long time (even longer than when there is no disc inserted in the PS2). I checked my system version it reverted back to 1.20, my broswer no longer displays my HDD, although curiously I just checked my Memory card and it says that OPL configuration file is there.

I'm not sure how to get the games to install to my HDD. My current plan of action is
1. Connect Drive to PC and remove the game using WinHIIP
2. Connect to PS2 see if this fixes the problem (no games but brings back HDDOSD)
3. Install fhdb
4. Check on Ps2 to see if HDDOSD and fhdb are both installed
5. Try to install ps2 game again
6. See results on PS2

So can anyone please help or 'fix' my plan of action

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It usually means there is a problem with the burn (assuming the chip is working right) when it stays on the PS2 screen for a long time before showing the red screen or browser screen. Try another burn of the disc.

iHumzah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It usually means there is a problem with the burn (assuming the chip is working right) when it stays on the PS2 screen for a long time before showing the red screen or browser screen. Try another burn of the disc.

I don't think its to do with the burn of the disc, because I completed step 2 from my plan of action(removed ISO from hdd). But the results were disappointing it still doesn't show browser 2.0 or my hdd, it seems like my softmod has gone entirely.

I think I'll try to reformat it using 48 bit. (But maybe tomorrow *yawn* )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30