OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First off, Hey!
laugh.gif

I'm new here, as you can probably see from my low (read: zero) post count.
But regardless, I wanted to join a DS homebrew and game community forum, and GBAtemp looked like the most reliable choice.
Cutting right to my question - I bought, played, and loved both Nanostray games for the DS, and now I'm jonesing for some more semi-3D games in that style (playable on the DS). Any games come to mind?
Thanks in advance!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a couple homebrew games that are good.

Tyrian (http://vespenegas.com/tyrian.html)
WarHawk (http://www.headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=warhawk)
DScent (http://blog.dev-scene.com/kayvenm/)
Touhou (bullet-hell shooter) (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82727)

As far as retail DS games.....there aren't many...
Geometry Wars
Konami Arcade Classics compilation has the arcade Gradius game and another I can't rem the name of at the moment.
XG-Blast (sorta like Geometry Wars)
Retro Game Challenge has a couple shmups in there. They are generic and not based on real games, but they are decent shmups in their own right.
Time Ace is a sort of 3D airplane shooter. It's not too bad.

There may be a few more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to GBAtemp!
toot.gif

Swamp7hing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, thanks a ton for the quick replies!

I've got Tyrian and WarHawk, both great games, nearly done them, but DSCent looks fantastic! I'll just need to dig up my old Descent disk to get the needed files. Great game.
As for retail, I've got Geometry Wars, and I'll defiantly check out the other ones.

Thanks again! Good to be here.
cool.gif

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try out Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie Barbecue and Ketsui Death Label, it's in Japanese with no translation but you'll be able to play it as almost everything is in English.

Off-Topic @ProtoKun7, How do I make DScent work on Cyclo?

Swamp7hing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried running through DSOrganize?
If you've got all the appropriate files in the right directories, usually you just need to wait a while and before the DLDI kicks in, allowing you to play the game.
Try it out. That's how I got my other homebrew to work.
smile.gif

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swamp7hing said:
Have you tried running through DSOrganize?
If you've got all the appropriate files in the right directories, usually you just need to wait a while and before the DLDI kicks in, allowing you to play the game.
Try it out. That's how I got my other homebrew to work.
smile.gif
Em..explain it to me step-by-step like I'm an idiot..partly because i am
smile.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to get mine working straight through the Cyclo's GUI.

You do have the original Descent files right? You'll be needing those. I've not had it on any of my microSDs for ages, but I think I had the DScent folder in the root. I had very few problems although some have reported that it's notoriously hard to get working.

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I had the original files when I tried it, on the root in the folder.

@Swamp7hing, You can also try Big Bang Mini, it's a. very different kind of shmup but you should still enjoy it.

Swamp7hing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ halfore
I'll try to give you a step-by-step when I get back from work, but I'll check that game out too!

@Ultralex
Tried command, didn't like it, thanks for the suggestion though!
smile.gif

@ anyone
Does anyone know how I can change my forum picture/avatar?

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swamp7hing said:
@ halfore
I'll try to give you a step-by-step when I get back from work, but I'll check that game out too!
Ok, thanks!! I hope you like it.

QUOTE(Swamp7hing @ Feb 4 2010, 02:40 PM) @ anyone
Does anyone know how I can change my forum picture/avatar?
Yeah, just go to "My Controls" under the GBATemp Logo, then click "Edit Avatar Settings".

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're looking for Shmups, which there are a ton of on the NES and SNES, although emulation on the latter is sketchy. Gradius 3 works great however, and I would highly recommend it.

Swamp7hing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gradius 3? Sure thing, I'll check it out. Thanks!

@ Halfore, I found these. No point in re-typing.
rolleyes.gif

(http://blog.dev-scene.com/kayvenm/instructions/)

Instructions
To run DScent you need :

A DS
The original registered Descent
A Flashcart for your DS
Steps :

Patch your Descent files to 1.4a atleast
Patch the dscent.nds file with the appropriate DLDI
Copy dscent.nds on your flash cart
Copy descent.hog and descent.pig in either the root of your flash cart or a subdirectory named dscent
You may optionnally copy .dem (demo) files and additional missions (.msn with a .hog)
Once you’ve run the game once and created a profile, you may follow the instructions in the readme.txt file found in the dscent archive to customize your HUD

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some tips about DScent.....turn the music off and the game will run better and won't be as likely to crash or corrupt your microSD. Yes, this game CAN corrupt your microSD.....turning the music off can help eliminate that problem. The game constantly battles the 4meg memory cap in the DS and that's where the problems start. Saving the game seems to be where most corruptions come from, save conservatively.

I run all parts of DScent straight out of the "dscent" folder created on the root of the card, that includes the dscent.nds file. I didn't have to DLDI patch anything because the CycloDS (and just about every other flashcart on the market) auto-patches DLDI anyway, but you can patch the file manually if you want to, shouldn't make a difference.

Supposedly, having a slot2 cart while playing this game should make no difference, it's not programmed to use the extra memory. But it is recommended that you remove the slot2 cart while playing this game to avoid possible crashes and/or corruptions being caused by the slot2 cart.

You'll also want to edit the controls.....keep your control set to the bare minimum necessary to play the game. There are more actual controls than there are buttons on the DS. Setting the controls to work for you can be tricky, Choose carefully, trial-and-error. Eventually you'll come up with a setup that works for you and you can enjoy the game.

Make sure to use the latest version of DScent, alpha 4.2. I personally haven't had 4.2 corrupt my card yet, but it has crashed a couple times, usually during heavy action.

Backup your microSD to your computer before playing this game at any length, just to be safe, because of that possible corruption issue.

kayvenm suddenly just stopped communicating after releasing alpha 4.2 August 7th, 2007 and hasn't been heard from since, apparently. So the game does still have bugs. Just remember that. He was so close too. The game runs near perfect. If it wasn't for those random crashes and especially the corruptions, I'd play this more.

Anyway, just thought you should be aware when playing this game.

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Er..I just tried running it and it came up with: "ERROR: Cannot open file DESCENT.TEX or DESCENT.TXB", what should I do?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
haflore said:
Er..I just tried running it and it came up with: "ERROR: Cannot open file DESCENT.TEX or DESCENT.TXB", what should I do?
Take your Cyclo out and throw your DS against a wall in the manner of this GBA thusly:
hate2.gif

You have the proper Descent files in the DScent folder on the root?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.