Hacking i loaded the wrong region system menu and.....

thestudent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys i had a buddy that brought me his sons modded wii that had no system files partial update gone bad i think . i loaded Black Wii Console System Menu 4.3U.wad using multiwad i believe was the app and it works great but when they click the settings menu they get a cant access this webpage message. i figured out that the 4.3u is what got it as its ntsc machine and should have had the e version . so my question is can i load System Menu-4.2E-v482.wad with multiwad like before and fix this i dont want to brick the wii as its playable now just has no internet access cause the settings menu isnt reachable. thanks in advance for any help.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You need to install the system menu that matches the current settings of the wii. So if the settings are Euro you would install a 4.xE system menu. Also you must install the system menu and system ios, you don't just install 4.2e over 4.3u as this will brick the wii since 4.3 runs on ios80 and 4.2 runs on ios70. So you could install 4.3 + system ios80, or 4.2 + system ios70, best to just install all system ios just to be safe. Modmii will set you up with all the needed files, just download it, tell it your wii is 4.1e and you wish to update to 4.3e, this will give you instructions and all needed files. Or just load wiimod, select the system menu installer and install 4.3e.

Also, as I said the menu must match the settings, you can view the settings in wiimod under advanced, region settings. Then install a matching system menu or change the settings to match the desired installed menu.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You said the machine is NTSC?
NTSC should be either a U or J. E is for Pal

May be your machine is on 4.2 or earlier. IIRC, 4.3 requires IOS 80. A syscheck log helps.

edit
I'm a slow typist. LOL

thestudent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i need to check some things i guess . the wii was modded when brought to me but they had somehow messed up the system menu it would only boot to the black screen and said something like error loading system file .i used a gamecube controller because a wii one wouldnt work i could boot home brew so i used multiwad and loaded Black Wii Console System Menu 4.3U.wad and it fixed it had all the channels back and everything the writing is in english and all the only thing is they cant access the settings menu at all when clicking it they get the webpage error they can pick home brew play games and everything just cant access any settings to turn on wifi or anything. i want to help them fix it but dont want to brick it as its playable now. it is an ntsc console.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
So, it works but the settings menu doesn't work?

Then you haven't loaded the wrong region, as that would brick it completely...

Try re-loading the version you have (Use U - U (or J in Japan) is for NTSC, E is for PAL.)

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The OP has a region mismatch semi brick. This is easily verified by viewing the current region settings and installed menu in a region manager, like ARC or in wiimod.

thestudent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so how would i go about verifying what info you guys need to see how to proceed ? like i said the wii is fully functional except the settings menu.

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can download NUS downloader.EXE from Filetrip.
If you downloaded it choose to update the databases.
Goes to system-> System menu and choose the right region this time.
Click on START NUS download. It should normally give you a .wad file. Install this .wad file with the .wad installer of your choice en install it.
The region will be fixed and the problem should normally being solved!

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now... I dont mean any disrespect, but... Why are you softmodding/repairing a Wii if you have no clue what you're doing? From what I read so far, it seems like you have 0 clue about what youre doing and why youre doing it. Are you following one of the popular FailTube videos or Fail guides posted on the internet? What you really shouldve done was done some research on the Wii in question and at least use ModMii to redownload all the necessary files to attempt to bring it back.

thestudent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i modded my sons a while back just not up on the current lingo i followed a guide here to mod his and it worked and is still working fine. this wii wasnt modded by me and was brought to me with an error loading system files so i loaded a system menu. the mod process wasnt a problem for me but the repairing process i know nothing about. i didnt take offense to what you said because you are right i know nothing about the repair process i did mine right the first time and its still working fine. xbox360 is my game not wii just trying to help out a friend without messing up his box.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
first thing first, CHECK the region of the Wii with "AnyRegionChanger" or "WiiMod". I have not use WiiMod before so I can't offer any help. Just make sure you don't install any wad you are not sure of.

or if you can live with the Wii in this semi-brick state and only want to change settings, use "gui_setting_editor" but you won't be able to transfer game saves or other things in the Wii Menu not setting related.

All these have been mentioned in earlier posts. So take a shot and get back with as much info as possible so others can help you.

Anyway, once the region is confirmed, ModMii should be able to take care of the rest

thestudent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok cool thanks so much for your help yeah he is happy with the way it works now just wants internet so his usb loader can pull covers for the games. i tried the gui_setting_editor and when i hit exit to internet settings i got the picture below
IMG_20121215_131331.jpg
ill try the AnyRegionChanger and report back the info it gives me. thanks so much for the help. that pic above is also the same screen i get when i click wii then wii settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1