Hacking I just received my friends old PSP1000

supersaiyajin900

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now he has firmware 3.51. im thinking of upgrading it to get features im missing, but i read somewhere the latest upgrade makes it hard to hack it. is there some way i can partially upgrade the firmware? which version is optimal?

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Please do not attempt anything without understanding what your doing first. There are lots of tutorials by Rydian that are very useful. Look them up. They're on this site.

al5911

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
6.60 me 1.6 and 6.60 pro b 9 is the latest cfw.

It depend on one preferences. As I read, they said pro is good over M.E. But I still choose M.E :creep:

Yep, as Hydro-sama suggest, read on Rydian tutorial about it. You'll get the clear explanation.

Good luck.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
First thing you should do is update to 5.00 OFW. There were large changes made to the firmwares which may cause problems if you do one massive update.

Then it's a choice of where to end up. 6.60 as a final point offers no advantage as it was essentially a security fix and has no additional functionality. Therefore i'd recommend 6.39 OFW as a base as there are a plentiful supply of themes for that CFW base (should you want them) which may indeed work on 6.60 but generally if something is made for your firmware then it's a better option.

PRO or ME? Take a look at the changelogs and it's apparent that ME firmwares are generally bug infested and it takes about nine revisions to fix them. PRO is far neater in that regard and since they offer pretty much identical features it comes down to personal preference. If you pinned old PSP users to a wall they'd much rather go for functional than scattershot.

Therefore i'd say 6.39 PROB9 with a CIPL flash to make it permanent would be a good bet for you.

Run 5.00 OFW update => Run 6.39 OFW update => Run 6.39PROB9 installer then run 6.39 CIPL flasher.

You may need additional steps in firmware updates as 3.52 is where things became standardised.

supersaiyajin900

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you need any USB cables for this? My friend says his PSP never came with one, so im wondering if i have to spend even more money on one (after $30 on pandora battery and 8GB memory card). Or is it okay to just plug the memory card in the computer and transfer the files from there?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need the Pandora...and is that a legit MS? Does it show as Magic Gate supported when you push the triangle button on the Memory Card sub menu on the main XMB? (seems cheap for an 8GB stick although that's based on UK pricing...)

Anyhow you also don't need a USB cable if you have a Pro Duo memory stick slot in your PC - it's fine to transfer that way.

supersaiyajin900

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it hasnt come in the mail yet, but i bought the card from amazon so i assume its safe. also, i read that you need pandora to install CFW. is this not true?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
it hasnt come in the mail yet, but i bought the card from amazon so i assume its safe. also, i read that you need pandora to install CFW. is this not true?
You will need it if you're trying to un-brick your psp or trying to install an old cfw like GEN or M33. I recommend you follow Rydian's tut and install PRO, which doesn't need a pandora + MMS.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

Amazon is unfortunately no longer a reliable MS vendor....you'll need to check whether it is indeed genuine. I'm assuming that you read a guide which was very old if it insisted a Pandora was required. These days it's literally as i described for you....update your firmware to 6.xx (where xx is where you want to land, so i'd guess 6.39) then just run the PRO installer available from their google code page and flash the permanent IPL.

supersaiyajin900

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more question. Where are you supposed to get the latest cheat.db? the one in the sticky seems to be dead. im looking for a cheat that will let me unlock all the UMD recognition stuff in tag force 5, and since i cant find any .isos of TF1 and 2 that are USA for sure, im going in this direction instead.

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country
Try Cheats.gbatemp.net. Or Google. I just manually update my database.

(Note: I know of a site... but they post links to ISOs so can't tell you the site. :( )

supersaiyajin900

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it okay to use a PM?

also is there any point to use the data install? the .iso is already on the memory stick, besides it takes up 500 megabytes, which is pretty large.

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country
I am not sure if you can use Data install for ISOs. I tried it for Kingdom Hearts and it failed because it was looking for the UMD. (Luckily I owned the English UMD so that worked out.) Someone who is more knowledgeable then me could tell you more on that subject. For example, Rydian. You wouldn't need data install IMO because running off of the Memory stick itself is pretty fast.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It'd be good if we had a confirmed list of games which had Data Installs and those which had any benefit for CFW users since none exists as far as i'm aware. However, i'm guessing that such a small idea would get little uptake... :(

As for Data Installs that are generally common knowledge as useful for CFW users - in Peacewalker it enables codec audio and in Monster Hunter (whichever iteration it is) it speeds up the menus.

If you've received a PM telling you to go to a site with PSP in the name and an image format....avoid that cesspool....almost every other PSP forum is a better community. Grab a decent cheat database from someone who actually has a clue....Raing3.
http://raing3.gshi.org/psp-utilities/?action=cheatdb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone