I just can't choose between iPhone and Droid

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by dib, Mar 11, 2011.

Mar 11, 2011
  1. dib
    OP

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm going to buy one tomorrow morning, but I'm having a hard time. I was pretty set on just getting the iPhone (Verizon) but they have a few others available like the Droid 2 and I'm trying to be open to alternatives.

I abhor virtual keyboards, so the Droid 2 has a huge plus for a real keyboard even if it's not as good as some of the ones HTC makes (or used to make, I haven't seen any decent ones in a long time). If I get the iPhone I'll almost certainly be using a bluetooth keyboard.

I also want to be able to use my phone as a modem for my laptop, and after research it seems this is possible on the iPhone. Verizon wants to charge extra despite my unlimited internet plan for the feature, and slap on bandwidth caps. But it seems this can be circumvented by jailbreaking it. I have no clue if I could do this on the Droid.

I'm wary of purchasing a Droid because I don't know how much of the OS is gimped by the provider. Cell phones are so often artificially limited any time they have power over the software. While I hate many things about Apple, at least I know what I'm getting with them. I'm wondering just how much of a Droid OS can be tailored by the provider for a specific phone, because I don't want tons of shitware on my mobile set up by Verizon and their select 'business affiliates'.

I'm also wary of Droid because it's an OS and not a hardware model, so it's been business as usual with a new phone coming out every couple weeks sporting it. At least with an iPhone I know that the model specs are fixed and I can use what's on their store as-is, and future apps sold on iTunes will take it into account for backwards compatibility. Is it even possible to upgrade the Android OS as it's developed, or is that left to the providers like Verizon? I don't trust them to support a product that's obsolete two months after I buy it. I had a Windows OS phone running something like like 6.1, then they came out with 6.2 with no way to upgrade. Fortunately it was right after I had it so I was able to trade it in for a newer model a few days later.

2. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My friend has both and he loves his Droid a bit more than his Ipod Touch, can't really say much more.

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I can't remember where I heard this, but if I'm recalling it correctly the manufacturers have to pay the cellular provider for non-critical updates (ie. updates which don't fix non-functionality or security concerns). I cannot remember which providers this actually is referring to, so Verizon may not be one of them.

Mostly though, it just comes down to which you prefer. The two devices utilize very differing UI paradigms, and the two companies have very differing ideologies. If you're not familiar with Android or iOS, take some time to actually use the devices and experience the software.

4. dib
    OP

United States
    What is it that makes him more satisfied with the Droid?

There are other factors for me. I do resent Apple's control over iTunes and the selection process that is totalitarian and often arbitrary. But I'm already determined to jailbreak it anyway, so that seems a little less relevant.

I appreciate Droid being a more open platform, but that doesn't inherently make it the superior platform. It seems like most developers have gone with Apple. I'm just not certain what that openness will actually do for me.

I'm also a little wary of buying an iPhone right now because I'm reading rumors that a new model is imminent within the next few months and I would be pretty pissed if it turned out that way. I got stuck in the same position when I bought my Alienware laptop and it ended up being one of the worst things I ever purchased.

The guys at Verizon were also making a big deal out of the native Flash support on Droid. I think it's patently stupid that Apple is boycotting Flash--even if it really were about openness they're simply neglecting their own customer base and what they want. But I don't know that I need Flash all that badly. iPhone has native Youtube support, and there aren't any Flash games that I care for.

But that's the problem--I don't know which I prefer. I can sit in the store and play with them but I'm not certain that counts as real experience which is why I'm deferring to outside opinions. Hopefully I'll avoid buying something I end up hating within a few months, like my previous phone.

Also thanks for the link, I completely neglected to check Ars even though it's one of my favorite sites.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    New iPhones are released every year in June/July.

EDIT: Although whether or not that model will have a CDMA radio is yet to be determined. They could leave Verizon releases on a separate time table, although it seems unlikely.

6. dib
    OP

United States
    I don't want to end up one of those people obsessing over every Apple release, so I decided to let go of worrying about a pending update.

Went with the iPhone. Couldn't find anything compelling about the Droid phones to change my mind.

7. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    well i see i came too late but i'll still post this

Right now is a horrible time to buy a cellphone, new ones will be announced in a few weeks and there are a bunch of good phones coming out soon (plus the inevitable iphone refresh)

but i guess i'll respond to your post anway

8. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    Droids for me always

i was the only one at my work with one at one point and all the rest had iphones

now id say its about 50/50 because iphones breaking or ot working
    some excuses where that they got bored with iphones
    some complained maintaining them cost tooo much moneys

i personally think the apps are much better
    specially as you can install whatever you want without jailbreaking

one of my fav apps at the moment is the n64 emulator
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a...e=search_result

9. Bunie

Member Bunie #1 Princess

United States
    Before i start, i will say i am both anti-apple, and an android lover.

the droid 2 allows for both physical and virtual keyboard, depending on what layout you use (if the keypad is extended or not)

"I also want to be able to use my phone as a modem for my laptop" There is a program known as PDANet that allows you to share internet through your droids service, meaning it uses your phones data. so with an unlimited plan, this is really neat.

"I'm wary of purchasing a Droid because I don't know how much of the OS is gimped by the provider" the Droid 2 is currently running what i beleive to be Android 2.2, and motorola isnt too quick to ditch updating it. even the original Droid is running 2.2 officially. Also, Apple is also quick to leave behind their products. for Android devices, there are custom roms so that you can continue to update your phone even after the developers stop.

"I'm also wary of Droid because it's an OS and not a hardware model"
    It's the same as the 3G and 4G iPhones. all that really matters is your phones chipset and cpu, wich most high-end applications will show. Android devices handle more like PC's than the iPhone, wich to me is a good thing. the restrictions on creating apps are alot looser on the Android.

Lastly, You won't look like a noob carrying an iPhone around.

10. Terminator02

United States
    you can wirelessly tether on your iphone for free too if you jailbreak (and for android it doesn't require a program so it works with ipods etc. if you root and use wireless tether for root users)

android 2.2 is already outdated, 2.3 has been out for months, OG droid shipped with 2.0 and it's doubtful that it'll get 2.3

apple isn't quick to drop their products, they usually support devices 2ish years old and start phasing out their older ones so app developers can work with better hardware

Lastly, iPhone's are a status symbol and everyone is guaranteed to be jealous and drool all over your device. Although verizon recently popularized android with its whole Droid campaign, now once the public sees an android device they ask "what kind of Droid is that". While inaccurate it's brought about a much more positive view about android, much better than the previous "wth is that thing? that's not an iphone." So now there are the cool kids who have iPhones and the kids who have "Droids". (point = only nerds think ppl with iPhones are lame)

11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    No need to root the phone to get tether - there's been a tether app for non-rooted phones for years and Android 2.2 has native support for tethering (no 3rd party app required, just look in the settings for it - there's even a widget for it).

Anyway, iPhone vs Android phone... simply a matter of preference. I've messed around with an iPhone 4 in a phone shop for a few weeks before deciding that I just prefer Android, so I stick with a HTC Desire HD for Christmas.

12. Terminator02

United States
    but you need specific programs on something that can run them (such as for pdanet) while wiresless tether for root users just spits out ad-hoc which can be used by anything

yes froyo (2.2) has native tethering but all carriers remove it and put in their own which they charge extra for (thus why you need the aforementioned app)

13. Originality

United Kingdom
    I wasn't charged extra for either USB tethering or WiFi AP on my HTC Desire HD. The HTC Wildfire can do it too, once it updated from 2.1 to 2.2. Maybe it's just HTC Sense that has the feature built in...

14. Terminator02

United States
    maybe it's ur UK carrier

15. Originality

United Kingdom
    Probably not the carrier, since it is in their t&c that I'm supposed to pay £5 more if I use it to tether laptops to the internet. I've gotten used to ignoring that by using pdanet on my G1, and now my DHD and my dad's Wildfire can turn into WiFi APs so it's become even easier.

16. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    I bet you use it to play ocarina of time all the day xD
    Btw i hope you are doing good over there in japan and not are mutating from the fusion reactor leak.