I installed a while ago a CFW on my 3DS and used FBI to install games. How to update my CFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by CallMeMorningstar, Sep 18, 2018.

1. CallMeMorningstar
    OP

CallMeMorningstar Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Germany
    Hey,
    I installed my CFW a while ago on my 3DS, installed some games with FBI Version 1.4.17, played for a week and kinda forgot about it. Busy times. Now I got back into gaming and I'd like to bring everything up to date. CFW wise I mean. I honestly don't even remember how to open the Homebrew (some key combination, right?). I also remember being able to switch between original FW and CFW somehow. My 3ds always boots into cfw. I am completely out of the loop. Were there other Important things to remember about the CFW? My 3DS wants to update. I currently am on 3ds 10.7.0-32e. Can I safly update or shouln't I? What are some must have applications other then FBI?

Could you maybe point me to a good tutorial, considering I already have a CFW? But I don't know what kind of CFW I have. I think I was on FW 10.3, when I installed my CFW and 10.7 was probably the newest FW back then, but I am not sure. If there are multiple custom firmwares by now. which one should I use?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    What is your current setup ReiNand? A9LH? some info or photo of your SD would help.

CallMeMorningstar likes this.
  3. CallMeMorningstar
    OP

CallMeMorningstar Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Germany
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You might have A9LH I believe, do you have an arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of your SD card?

5. CallMeMorningstar
    OP

CallMeMorningstar Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Germany
    yas

Attached Files:

6. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Look like you have an AureiNand and Cakes CFW instead of Luma3DS that everyone is using now a day.

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v7.0.5

You can try to see if this version of Luma3DS work for you, what you get currently when you hold on to select while powering on?

7. CallMeMorningstar
    OP

CallMeMorningstar Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Germany
    I don't have a single clue how to do that... honestly.
    and this:

Attached Files:

8. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Okay put the v 7.0.5 of Luma3ds arm9loaderhax file on the root of your 3DS, replace the old one you have, see if you can get this configuration menu.

Attached Files:

1.png
      File size:
      3.3 KB
      Views:
  9. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Omg, you have seriously old custom firmware.

10. CallMeMorningstar
    OP

CallMeMorningstar Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Germany
    Maybe i should note, that i have the New 3DS Xl. I'll try what you told me later. It's like really late here.

Hayato213 likes this.
  11. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Model doesn't matter anymore now a day.

12. CallMeMorningstar
    OP

CallMeMorningstar Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Germany
    Yeah, Im thinking 2015-2016. So I should follow that tutorial?

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
  14. CallMeMorningstar
    OP

CallMeMorningstar Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Germany
    Ok I think I am done. I followed the Guide and everything seems to work. Did anything change? Now i have two FBI's on my homescreen. The old one which used to be the Health warning and the new one I just installed. Do I still just install CIA's like I used to for new games? Are there some must have or nice to have application, emulators or something, that you would recommond I look at?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think I am up to date now. Thanks again. I don't understand half of the new features, but I just wanna play. Or is there a useful function, that I should read more about? I'd also like to ask you if you have some applications you'd recommend. Whatever it is. Told youI am out of the loop lul.

15. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_3DS_homebrew

Here is a list of homebrew for the 3DS, for me I only pretty much use NTR CFW for cheat and streaming , JKSM and Checkpoint for save input and output. As for CIA, yes you still stick with CIA, anything that has to do with tickets like Ciaangel, tikshop, tikdevil, freeshop etc stay away from them, as 11.8 implemented the way they detect if a game was legally bought during installation, freeshop no longer work so you can ignore that.