I have a question that I'd like answered regarding GBA and emulation

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by LordMark, Sep 1, 2014.

1. LordMark
    OP

LordMark Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2014
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Why would anyone want to emulate Gameboy/Color games on the GBA/SP(using Goomba Color for example)?

I just found out about this emulator through another source and it totally caught me off guard because as soon as I got my SP I stopped using the GBC since the SP was superior in just about every way.

2. libertyernie

libertyernie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2011
    United States
    The biggest reason is to support the DS, DS Lite, and Game Boy Micro, since these systems can't play GB carts.

3. LordMark
    OP

LordMark Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2014
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    But I specifically asked about Gameboy/Color emulators that support only the GBA handhelds, not the DS or GB micro.

4. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    GB games won't run natively on a GBA flash cart. Different hardware mode.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The GB/GBC support of the GBA and GBA SP is all hardware (the little switch inside the slot activates it) and no GBA flash cart supported it (mainly as it would have needed to handle the 5V of the GB/GBC vs the 3.3V of the GBA). There was a so called GB bridge for a small handful of GBA era flash carts ( http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/index.php?title=File:Fa-bridge.jpg ) but most then went in for emulation.

Rocc0 likes this.
  6. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    It's not that simple, clearly the switch has some kind of effect on which code the hardware is willing to run. After all ROM files have no circuitry to care about voltage.

7. LordMark
    OP

LordMark Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2014
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    So basically it was for ROMs and hacks only. I thought there might have been another reason but it doesn't matter. I guess this thread can be closed now.

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    it is basically for people who own a gba hardware and gba flashcart without goomba you need to get a gb\c flashcart to be able to play gb\c games, and people who have a ds or a gameboy micro can't even use a gb\c flascart because it only supports gba cards

and i had seen a lot of people wanting\asking to play gb\c games with a gba flashcart....