I have a legit question

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that was the biggest reason why my ancestors left Europe. They just wanted to be free to walk on the right side.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
most of the europeans drive on the right
lecture.gif
for the walk, i think no one cares whether they should walk left or right,
don't care either,

DJ Hobo

Trophies
XP
Country
Here in Australia, it's a general rule of thumb that you walk on the left of the walkway. While it's not a big deal when there's nobody around, it's an idea that is almost always followed if it's a really crowded footpath in the middle of the city. Not everyone does it, but it does make things easier on crowded footpaths, or in crowded buildings.

And yeah, it's because we drive on the left over here.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here in new york is good costume to walk on the right on the sidewalk.
Streets are very crowded here, and there are a lot of tourists as well, but for us who live here, and got to go to the office or in a hurry, it's important to keep on the right side of the sidewalk to prevent bumping into each other all the time thus slowing down the flow of pedestrian traffic and with a great chance to increase interracial middle-of - the street fights......
wink.gif

I am European, but I still get pissed off when I try to go to work ( always late, always at the last minute ) and bloody tourists block my way ! ( I love tourists by the way, especially females tall and blond from the north
wink.gif
).
But when there are no sidewalks, and you are forced to walk on the street side, I've been thought in the driving school that it's always good to walk in the opposite direction of the traffic, so if the cars keep on the right you should walk on the left and vice verse .
The reason for that is that by keeping an eye on the upcoming cars toward your direction, there is a chance you might prevent an accident if the drivers doesn't see the pedestrian, while if the car is coming from beyond you, there's very little you can do if you are going to get run over.
So as you can see, side matters !

Stiff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually thought this is a cool question. Americans def tend to stick to the right if pathways are crowded. Although you do always have the assholes that like to go against the flow.

I have to assume this mimics driving and that people tend to walk on the left in places that drive on the left. right?

NeSchn

Swag.
OP
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Stiff said:
I actually thought this is a cool question. Americans def tend to stick to the right if pathways are crowded. Although you do always have the assholes that like to go against the flow.

I have to assume this mimics driving and that people tend to walk on the left in places that drive on the left. right?
Yes! Thats exactly what I am trying to get at lol

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At lower school it didn't matter, but in most of middle and secondary (not upper; the schools changed from three-tier to two-tier during my time, and I was in the last year to attend three schools) we stuck to the left.

In my last school though, there were two walkways on the first and second floor and for a while some of the teachers wanted to include a ridiculous one way system, but only in the English/Humanities section.

I'll see how well I can describe it text only...

The second walkway on the first floor was in the middle of one side, where the English section ends and the rest of the rooms are Humanities. The one way system started there, so if I had to go to Maths, I was expected to go to the stairway, go across and then back up the stairs again.

I often didn't.

It's sad when a pupil is more logical than the teachers, although I did get on well with many of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I bet he looks at my record and thinks "he fell off."