Hacking I have a crazy theory. only a crazy theory though

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suppose we...ok stay with me here. Suppose we first use the NUS downloader...hey, you staying with me here? We use the NUS downloader to first download an update. We then mod it somehow...but thats not the point, this is just a theory on how to install the mod.

Ok. then we update while filtering and editing packets sent from the router to your ds with some random router tools. Swap out the files downloded from the nintendo servers with the modded ones on your computer.

That is my theory.

Of course, I haven't tried it yet, but a friend tried installing a normal update that way and it worked. I don't know if modded firmware installed the same way will work or not, because I thought the 3ds had good security.

Marlonguppy

Trophies
Website
artoftrolling.memebase.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
someonewhodied said:
Suppose we...ok stay with me here. Suppose we first use the NUS downloader...hey, you staying with me here? We use the NUS downloader to first download an update. We then mod it somehow...but thats not the point, this is just a theory on how to install the mod.

Ok. then we update while filtering and editing packets sent from the router to your ds with some random router tools. Swap out the files downloded from the nintendo servers with the modded ones on your computer.

That is my theory.

Of course, I haven't tried it yet, but a friend tried installing a normal update that way and it worked. I don't know if modded firmware installed the same way will work or not, because I thought the 3ds had good security.
No, the update must be signed. That's the only problem; if we had the key... we could hack the DSi/3DS
, but a friend tried installing a normal update that way and it worked
Yeah... and my Mac OSX downloaded some Windows 7 updates.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He didn't use NUS downloader though. He just tried Filtering the packets to his computer.
And then used those files in the update after starting a second one. I think anyways. Its what he told me. Ofcourse I didn't see him doing it so I have no way to confirm it.

Marlonguppy

Trophies
Website
artoftrolling.memebase.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
someonewhodied said:
He didn't use NUS downloader though. He just tried Filtering the packets to his computer.
And then used those files in the update after starting a second one. I think anyways. Its what he told me. Ofcourse I didn't see him doing it so I have no way to confirm it.

That's just stupid because you're just retransmitting it (and duh, of course it is signed then).
Nice try.

marcosxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Suppose we...ok stay with me here. Suppose we already have a thread for these random theories...hey, you staying with me here? We use that thread to post all our random bs. We then keep the discussion over there somehow...but thats not the point, this is just a theory on how to post in a thread for these things

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
marcosxd said:
Suppose we...ok stay with me here. Suppose we already have a thread for these random theories...hey, you staying with me here? We use that thread to post all our random bs. We then keep the discussion over there somehow...but thats not the point, this is just a theory on how to post in a thread for these things
Yeah, a friend of mine tried posting in there and it worked.

marcosxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
He didn't use common sense though. He just tried opening a new thread to his own needs.
And then used those random theories after starting a second one. I think anyways. Its what he told me. Ofcourse I didn't see him doing it so I have no way to confirm it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Havent this idea been posted before and the thread became a "stupid idiots you have no clue how the 3ds works" thread?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RoyalCardMan said:
It is because those people believe "If the hackers can't do it, neither can we"

Let me remind you though, this is my favorite quote:

QUOTE said:
Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
Yes, but in this case it won't work. The updates must be encrypted with the common key, and signed with the private key. AFAIK, no one has either at the moment, and the most anyone is ever likely to get is the common key unless Nintendo made a Sony-esque failure with the security. The only chance of a modified update is via an exploit in the security system, akin to the Trucha Bug on the Wii (which negated the need for the private key). And obviously they won't have put the trucha bug back in. They're not that stupid.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
RoyalCardMan said:
It is because those people believe "If the hackers can't do it, neither can we"

Let me remind you though, this is my favorite quote:

QUOTE said:
Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
Yes, but in this case it won't work. The updates must be encrypted with the common key, and signed with the private key. AFAIK, no one has either at the moment, and the most anyone is ever likely to get is the common key unless Nintendo made a Sony-esque failure with the security. The only chance of a modified update is via an exploit in the security system, akin to the Trucha Bug on the Wii (which negated the need for the private key). And obviously they won't have put the trucha bug back in. They're not that stupid.
It seems people like to sophisticate the problem so they sound pretty professional.

Look, if you don't know the whole truth, than just say "Well, it is encrypted, but I don't know if it will be that hard or easy to exploit"

Why can't people just admit that it might or might not work. It sounds like you know it won't work. But, that is just my opinion.

Also, it is called trial and error.

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone could try to do a brute force attempt on the encryption key it would only take around 100,000 millennia or something but if we found someone who had a bot net of like 4million computers it wouldn't take as long only like a 25 years

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
fergieboy10 said:
Someone could try to do a brute force attempt on the encryption key it would only take around 100,000 millennia or something but if we found someone who had a bot net of like 4million computers it wouldn't take as long
yea, it would then only take 1 billion years.

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I doubt anyone could do this but I you had gnarly RAM analyzing skills you might be able to find the decryption code on the 3ds hardware but that would be really hard core and I'm not a computer expert but I know the decryption code has to be stored on the RAM(during the time of decrypting) so if you could get something to monitor the RAM You could dump all the values from it (during the time of decryption) and run the values through cracking software I don't know how you would be able to do this or if it's even possible but I wanted to add my stupid idea to the mix

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
fergieboy10 said:
Well I doubt anyone could do this but I you had gnarly RAM analyzing skills you might be able to find the decryption code on the 3ds hardware but that would be really hard core and I'm not a computer expert but I know the decryption code has to be stored on the RAM(during the time of decrypting) so if you could get something to monitor the RAM You could dump all the values from it (during the time of decryption) and run the values through cracking software I don't know how you would be able to do this or if it's even possible but I wanted to add my stupid idea to the mix
You would have to rip apart the 3DS, but still have it running.
Plus there is A LOT of code to analyze, and i mean a ridiculous amount.
@OP Ok sounds good, just go get the keys and come back to us.
>.> This is like talking about breaking into a house, but when you get the key to the front door.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs