i have a confession

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have started on final fantasy for the nes then i will go one to #2 for the snes and soo on

FF2 is also for the NES. The SNES game is FFIV, they just changed the name in the US because they hadn't released the first two in the US. If you use an emulator with a speed-up option, you can blow through the first three in a week. IV+V are OK, but painfully grindy. VI and VII are probably the best in terms of pacing. VIII-XII are mixed bag. Each are significantly different from the others.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF2 is also for the NES. The SNES game is FFIV, they just changed the name in the US because they hadn't released the first two in the US. If you use an emulator with a speed-up option, you can blow through the first three in a week. IV+V are OK, but painfully grindy. VI and VII are probably the best in terms of pacing. VIII-XII are mixed bag. Each are significantly different from the others.

There is Final Fantasy 2-6 on the SNES, but they only made 1 of them into English (I think?) if you want to play them all you have to use patches :(

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is Final Fantasy 2-6 on the SNES, but they only made 1 of them into English (I think?) if you want to play them all you have to use patches :(

Final Fantasy 4 and 6 were English, but the real 2, 3 and 5 were never translated for a long time.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
(Bare in mind that this all my own opinion but here goes)

1-2 are too dated and dont have very good stories
4 has way too much grinding in both the original and the remake and the remake has way too much missable stuff and isnt very fun to play without a guide. Good story tho.
5 has a very weak story and probably the worst cast of characters in any of the games. Altho the job system is cool, it isnt enough to save it. (original only, havent played remake)

I think for someone who hasnt played any of the games, these are the ones i would skip. The other games all have enough to keep a non-fan interested because of the story or gameplay elements. I think you have to remember that all of these games are easily 30 hour+ games and i dont think its worth playing any of the ones i mentioned, simply because there isnt anything that memorable about them (aside from possibly 4's story) The rest of the games will make you feel you accomplished something and you will most deff remember some aspect of them.

Personally if i was going to start final fantasy over again, i would start at 6 and go up to 10 and stop. Those for me are the golden era of final fantasy.
I agree that 1 and 2 have little to no story but the gameplay isn't too bad and it does have its own appeal if you want to see where the series came from, the PSP remake is quite fun. 4 isn't as bad as you make it out to be since I was able to get through most of it without a guide and I can't really disagree with your opinion of 5 but I found the gameplay to be quite good.

I get your point but I still consider the older FF made when it was made by Squaresoft and they knew how to make the games, now the newer games are just plain horribly made and has mostly lackluster stories and characters but has good graphics. Personally I would only play 1 to 9 skipping 8 because it has the worst of the battle system and then stop, none of the newer games are worth the effort.

I agree that ones below 4 are too dated.

If he's going to play 4, it should be one of the recent remakes, like the DS one.

Yeah 5 has almost zero character development (it has like one cutscene for each character), but the whole world story is interesting.

6 is where it gets a nice blend of development everywhere. 7 is 7, 8 is nice but doesn't fit the tastes of many. Haven't played 9+ yet.
No. No. No. The DS remake of 4 is horrid and tries to mix a serious story with cute character models which doesn't work, the PSP remake of 4 is much better keeping the classic look and having the After Years included as well.

I have to disagree with you in this one. You just have to look at the FFV story introduction to see that they cared very much for the story in this game. (imho FFV story introduction is much better than FFVI introduction, I don't know FFV introduction kind of deal with your emotions right in the beginning of the game...)

I agree, FFVI is a great title, it broke many cliches in the FF franchise and have many merits! But I feel people discredit older titles too much because of that, it doesn't mean they don't have any credit.
I'm playing 5 SNES on my PSP and to be honest it is very difficult to get into at the start since I found it has such a slow start to the better parts of the story.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before, I don't know, 1998:
USA = JP
FF1 = FF1
FF2 = FF4
FF3 = FF6
FF7 = FF7

We later received FF5 in a PSX collection, and then much, much later, we got the FF2 and 3 remakes on DS. This accounts for the whole series.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never played them... Now that I'm grown, don't think I ever will. I dont have the patience nor the time since I work and have personal obligations... Last RPG I played was Pokemon Blue and Red and that was back in 2000... or maybe that was Link's Awakening DX...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up