Hardware I got an N2DSXL

Homebound

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still on the fence about getting one. N2DS XL doesn't support charging cradles/docks, potentially easily scratchable, hinge are supposedly extremely wobbly, uses O3DS battery, hard to dismantle.

My N3DS XL has a charging/fuse issue it'll cost me $125 to get it fixed. I would attempt to fix it myself but I have no soldering experience. I'm really not sure if it's worth investing in this N2DS XL or just paying to repair my N3DS XL.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
so when I buy my 2DSXL, I just have to follow this guide then, right?

https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware)

I have a old2DS with boot9strap so I'm good to go then I guess...
Yep!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm still on the fence about getting one. N2DS XL doesn't support charging cradles/docks, potentially easily scratchable, hinge are supposedly extremely wobbly, uses O3DS battery, hard to dismantle.

My N3DS XL has a charging/fuse issue it'll cost me $125 to get it fixed. I would attempt to fix it myself but I have no soldering experience. I'm really not sure if it's worth investing in this N2DS XL or just paying to repair my N3DS XL.
I decided I'm not going to resell this one, it's going to be my main forever more. So the scratching thing does not bother me. The wobbly thing is just plain made up. It's exactly as forward-back wobbly as any other hinged 3DS console, so it's no reason not to get one. And it is not side-to-side wobbly like the N3DS, so it's actually an improvement. The battery seems pretty good to me - I leave it on sleep mode, play about half an hour a day and only charge it every two days, or less. The charge cradle thing also is of no concern to me because I don't use one. But no doubt there will be one released at some point, I mean we all know how much Nintendo loves selling accessories separately.
If I was in your situation, I would buy an N2DSXL (either right away or a second hand one a few months after release to save money), system transfer to it, then try to fix the N3DSXL myself and if I fail then so be it (you could probably buy a second hand one for $125 so it is not worth paying. And if the console is a special edition or something, then get one with the same inside colour and swap the plates over).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Homebound

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^^ Yeah you're right about all of that except for the charging dock. The N2DS XL lacks the two gold strips by the charging port so it's impossible for a charging dock/cradle to ever come out. Regardless, I'm definitely going to get the N2DS XL. Going to miss the 3D feature though.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh.... It's not that ugly. Japan got an exclusive Dragon Quest one and I'm soooo jealous.

new2DSslime.jpg
I don't even play Dragon Quest and I want one of those!!! Those look sexy af!

Jordan Wessley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

If you're really careful, you can just bypass the fuse...

TOMJOHN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just buy a second hand 2DS for like $50, install CFW, use it to install CFW on yours, then sell it. No need to wait.
Guess I'm confused. So, in order to intsall CFW on my new 2DSXL, I need a 3DS or 2DS that already has CFW on it and do a system transfer? But how can I go buy a second hand 2DS and install CFW on it without another system that already has CFW and if so; why am I able to install CFW on a second hand 2DS, but not on my new 2DSXL?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Guess I'm confused. So, in order to intsall CFW on my new 2DSXL, I need a 3DS or 2DS that already has CFW on it and do a system transfer? But how can I go buy a second hand 2DS and install CFW on it without another system that already has CFW and if so; why am I able to install CFW on a second hand 2DS, but not on my new 2DSXL?
On 11.3 or less you don't need a second system.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you for the quick response, guess I'll have to go find an older one on 11.3 or lower.
Every brand new system (that's not a 2DS XL) will be on 11.3 or less, and any second hand system make sure to ask them to check for you. Shouldn't be too hard to find one. Good luck :-)

Reactions: TOMJOHN

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick response, guess I'll have to go find an older one on 11.3 or lower.
As Quantumcat said, it isn't the hardest task in the world. What I did was look for used 2DS's on eBay and asked the sellers what firmware it was on. The one I snagged, when I asked what version it was on and stated my intentions, the seller had said they put CFW on it in the past but hasn't kept up with the scene, so I purchased that one (so it would be in the hands of someone who knew it has CFW) , updated A9LH to B9S and updated Luma. There were also quite a few stock <11.4 systems as well.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Could someone with a 2DSXL please take a photo of micro sd card that came with it please. Back side of the micro sd especially if possible, Id most appreciate it

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Thank you a bunch mate!
Why did they go back to Lexar I wonder...
Because the 2DS is meant to be a budget version of the 3DS. Nintendo is trying to not spend too much $$$ so they get at least a little profit.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,
Reactions: fatsquirrel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy