I don't think either dios mios or devolution will work on Wii U.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Bryon15, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Member Bryon15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I mean once it gets hacked of course. Here's why.

Dios mios switches the Wii to gamecube mode to work. Wii U won't have a gamecube mode. It also requires a gamecube controller. Which of course the Wii U won't have. So that's out.

Now with devolution. The chances of it working on Wii U is better since it works through the ios in Wii mode. Which the Wii U will have. It will also have classic controller support which is good since that will eliminate the need to use gamecube controllers. But there's just one big problem. Devolution has to verify actual gamecube discs to work! And since the Wii U disc drive isn't compatible with gamecube discs, there will be no way to verify them.

So the only way I see Wii U playing gamecube games is for someone to create an emulator for it from scratch. Which could take a long time. What do you guys think about this?

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Nintendo probably will release some games in the Virtual Console for Wii U
    If the Wii u gets hacked, dios mios or devo will be obsolete, as shop content could also be hacked especially seeing the Wii u is HDD compatible from the start.
    I think this will be the best bet to ever enjoy gamecube games on Wii u ( if possible at all that is )

3. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    I thought about the Devolution problem before, when people were discussing how it could work on newer Wiis. Devolution could use some kind of authorisation web service, with a login, storing your authorised discs under a specific account. Kind of like how PSN allows you to authorise several devices to play PSX downloads or whatever. In order to play on a different device, you would deactivate your Wii and activate your Wii U.

There are obviously quite a few issues with this, like funding such a service and making sure the staff running it are doing so fairly. But it could be expanded upon to incorporate other gaming services and perhaps earn its keep through advertising.

4. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Nobody can really say for sure since we're talking at least a year to two years in the future here (at least). We don't even have the device yet let alone know what its capable of but if rumors are anything to go on Gamecube games will be downloadable.

5. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    I dont see why you would expect any of these hacks to work in the first place. Thats like expecting a hack for a n64 to work on the GCN.

1 person likes this.
  6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Of course it won't work. As it stands, you can't play gamecubes games on those crippled wii's. That by itself should be enough to make you go "hmmmm....". But on a completely different console?

No. I think that having a homebrew channel on the wiiU that somewhat allows for wii homebrew (similar to how gamecube homebrew "kinda works" on wii's) will be the best to aim for. And that'll probably be too optimistic. It'll probably mean starting the whole hacking thing all over again (the wii wasn't always as easy to hack as it is today).

1 person likes this.
  7. gundalf

Member gundalf GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    If the WiiU CPU bases on Wiis PPC 750 CL, then the Gamecube Mode might be still there left and could be triggered with some crazy hardware setup.
    But yeah, you might likely see in the next 2-3 years 50$ Android Sticks that are powerful enough for GC/Wii Emulation.

1 person likes this.
  8. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    WHAT!! o.O
    I must have missed that memo. Got a linky?

1 person likes this.
  9. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I remember reading this its not so much native, just that will allow any usb drive to be plugged in but its not yet known what you can do with it other than save eshop purchases, save games etc

There ya go deadlyfoes
    http://www.technolog...nal-hard-drive/

1 person likes this.
  10. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Thanks. BTW, it's DeadlyFoez... with a 'z'. ;) :P

1 person likes this.
  11. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Well, if Wii-mode gets hacked and Wii U mode doesn't, we'd have to hope that some of our current methods would work.

If they really were so lazy as to just take the exact same architecture as the Wii proc and just run it through a smaller fabrication process, increase the clock speed, and stick three of them together (I know it's not that easy, but still) there very well could be a GC mode stuck in there somewhere. Even without it, I've seen a video of someone calling the MIOS directly without going through the BC and it still works. It just goes 1.5x faster because it's still running at a Wii clock speed and the audio is a little glitchy for the same reason.
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/322683-devolution-speculation-thread/page__view__findpost__p__4195561
    On the same line of thought, those GameCube VC games that have been promised could very well take advantage of such a GC mode ... it's probably more likely, though, that they'd just be recompiled remakes like all the remakes they did for the Wii (metroid prime 1, 2, 3, pikmin 1, 2, mario tennis, all the resident evil and donkey kong games, etc)

If Wii U mode gets hacked I still don't see that it having native HDD support would help much. No one really knows how it will use it but if it's anything like the way the Wii uses SD cards (HDD = really big SD) as far as I know we haven't been able to sign the files correctly to have homebrew install a WAD directly to the /private folder on the SD card. If Ninty does a similarly good job with that, we'd still have to transfer stuff back to the internal memory before doing anything with it.
    Even that way, though, it would be cool if someone figured out how to just inject a GC game into a VC game WAD the way they do with ROM's with the Wii VC games. All you'd have to do is just install the huge WAD file and run it.

Devolution would be the simplest base to go off of running from Wii mode as long as the disk authentication can be accomplished. I'd assume it can (I'm hopeful at least) since there has already been a similar thread to this one questioning GC compatibility on the Wii U where [member='tueidj'] cited devolution as a means by which the Wii U would likely be compatible. Also, he only said it once and somewhat indirectly but he also did make a comment in another thread that makes me think a USB DVD reader might be usable to verify the disk.
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/322683-devolution-speculation-thread/page__view__findpost__p__4187144

12. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    Will it work? LMAO :P

13. Maxternal

Costa Rica
    The N64 used a completely different type of processor than the GC (aside from them both being 64-bit). The GC, Wii, and Wii U, in theory, (as well as the PS3 and 360 to some extent) all use the same family of processor.

I'd say it's a little more like trying to run homebrew for the DS on a 3DS. It's two generations ahead but it does have some sort of backwards compatibility already incorporated.

MAYBE an even better example would be asking for GBA homebrew on a DSi. DSi is backwards compatible with DS and DS was backwards compatible with GBA (and everything before it). In that case, though, there was some hardware taken out in the transition that removed that compatibility.

The question in this case, then, is whether there's enough of a hardware change or not to make direct GC compatibility just not doable or if there's a way to work around it.

14. Bryon15
    OP

United States
    Nintendo shows the inside of the Wii U.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/take_a_look_at_the_inside_of_the_wii_u

15. Maxternal

Costa Rica
    Okay ... yes ... so ... umm ...
    ... officially confirmed that there's no place inside there to solder on any gamecube ports :P

16. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't really have any hacking experience, but don't DIOS MIOS and Devolution both only work because there was essentially a GameCube built into every Wii? If that's the case, I wouldn't call them solely Wii homebrew or a Gamecube emulators. They're kind of in their own category, entirely.

I'm always a bit of a skeptic when it comes to this stuff, so I would definitely say we can't definitively say much of anything without a more thorough understanding of exactly how the WiiU's Wii Mode works. We need to understand just how much of a Wii it is. (This all must sound incredibly silly, like cheesy movie lines)

17. crono141

Member crono141 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not exactly. The wii's cpu and gpu are essentially overclocked versions of the gc cpu and gpu with extra instructions. So to achieve bc, all the system has to do is slow itself down for the gc software, or in devolutions case, tell the software how fast the clock actually is.

Another way to think about the hardware similarity is to compare it to your pc's cpu. PC's have been using essentially the same kind of cpu (x86) since forever, but each iteration adds new speed and functionality while retaining compatibility with older software. I believe that since Gamecube that nintendo has chosen to go this route.

18. Bryon15
    OP

United States
    What if someone ported over dolphin emulator? Kind of like how someone ported the pc version of snesx9gx to work on Wii.

19. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    The difference is that Dolphin is heavily optimised for x86 processors, so a port would take a lot of hard work and dedication from people who know what they're doing with the PowerPC architecture, it would probably be quicker for someone like that to write their own implementation of Devolution. This is why we don't have a dolphin port for the PS3.

20. mclow

Newcomer mclow Advanced Member

Germany
    anybody testet diosmios on the wiiu?

im not a hacker or smth but if the wiiU has a virtuall WII inside... shouldnt it do the same things the wii did?
    i think the only problem is the controller because there is nor more port for a gamecube controller.....

and i really think they can find a workaround about this!

at the moment im only replacing my wii with the wiiu if Gamecube games are running....
    if not im not intresset in the wiiU till they get wiiU backups running...

sorry for my english... i hope u guys understand me XD