Hardware I brought a fat PS3 with YLOD for $5

ThaKarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I brought a fat PS3 from a yard sale about 2-months ago. I finally got around to testing it today and it wont boot. It tries REALLY hard, the fan starts to spin and then it completely shuts down with a yellow LED, followed by a flashing red LED.

I took a hair dryer and literally heated up the PS3 from the back vent for 20 minutes and let it cool for a further 20 minutes. I was completely surprised that this brought it back to life. I was able to update it, format the HDD and login to PSN. I even managed to test a few games.

However sadly after it had been switched off for about 2 hours, I tried to turn it on again and we were back at square one.

I've tried Googling it but I get a lot of mixed results and possibilities of what could be causing it.. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what the issue could be, based on what I've described above.

Would it be possible to fix? I'm quite capable of repairing and soldering etc.. But obviously I can't re-ball a chip, so if thats the ultimate issue then I guess it's end-game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again