I bricked Wii - Need advice!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by user0002, Dec 22, 2009.

Dec 22, 2009

I bricked Wii - Need advice! by user0002 at 6:43 PM (3,363 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. user0002
    OP

Member user0002 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    I'm posting this here since I think people may notice it here better when it's in its own topic. I was trying to softmod my wii and I did I backup of the NAND and now i have the nand.bin and keys.bin files, but then I apparently bricked the wii during the softmodding process.

Here's what happened: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=2476723

When I start wii it puts that black options screen first. I put the hackmii installer v0.6's boot.elf file to the root of the SD card and after that I'm able to install that file from the black options screen menu by choosing 'Load/Install File'. I can choose to install Homebrew Channel, DVDx, and bootmii but only as IOS, not as boot2. I have the nand.bin and keys.bin files at the root of the SD card too.

I'm able to get the bootmii working from the SD card and get to the grey screen with four square blocks where you need to navigate by using the wii's power and reset buttons. And I can even start the bootmii recovery as shown in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZPl-ZtSaU

and it says RestoreMii will first run in simulation mode but where my situation differs from the video is that the Bootmii recovery says: "RestoreMii, NAND ID ecdc1095 Checking boot2....
    BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it. If you're SURE you want to do this, press A+B+X+Y. Otherwise, press any key to exit".

So is there any guide as how to restore the NAND and get my wii working again? Has anyone been in this situation where the Bootmii recovery says bootmii not found? I'm stuck at this point because it didn't found it and if I continue this and it goes wrong then the wii is probably completely beyond repair(?). Also, I don't have a GameCube controller so how do I even press that a+b+x+y with wii?

2. user0002
    OP

Finland
    Also I've been reading earlier topics and posts and I found this here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=2137520

If you have BootMii alone as an IOS and you brick your system menu, there is no way to get to HBC to load BootMii. In this scenario your NAND backup would be useless.

If you have BootMii installed as an IOS AND PreLoader installed, you can always boot to PreLoader, then launch HBC, then get to BootMii. In this scenario you can restore your NAND fine.

Moral of the story: If you have to install BootMii as IOS PreLoader is Required. Or you will never be able to get to BootMii in the event of a brick.

-------------

I do have the preloader v0.29 on my wii, it says that in the right corner of the black options screen, like this:

Systemmenu
    Homebrew Channel
    Installed File

Load/Install File
    Systemmenu Hacks
    Settings

And in the downleft corner reads "IOS v50 Systemmenu v386" and in the down right corner reads "preloader v0.29"

But how do I get the NAND back to my wii?

3. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Are you on 4.2?

Also in your other post you made in another topic you said preloader settings look like the following.

autoboot: disabled
    Return to: preloader
    Shutdown to: off
    Stop disc: off
    Show beta updates: off
    Light slot on error: off
    Ignore standby setting: off
    System Menu IOS: 50

Change the settings to look like the following.

autoboot: system menu
    Return to: system menu
    Shutdown to: off
    Stop disc: off
    Show beta updates: off
    Light slot on error: off
    Ignore standby setting: off
    System Menu IOS: 70

EDIT: System Menu IOS: is different depending on what firmware you are on. 4.2=IOS70 4.0 or 4.1 = IOS60

4. textads

Newcomer textads Newbie

United States
    I am getting that message as well. Is it "safe" to continue?

5. timishu

Member timishu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Since you have PreLoader, I'm pretty sure you're ok. I think I may be able to help you, but I need to know a few things first:

1. Just making sure, with your current situation, can you run the Homebrew Channel?
    2. Do you have a cIOS Installed?
    3. What system menu were you on before you began the softmodding process?
    4. Did you setup PreLoader to load BootMii as IOS first, or not?

6. user0002
    OP

Finland

Okay so I was following this softmodding guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890
    That's where first posted after my Homebrew Channel showed upside down after I did the patching IOS36 part, I did that part like it says but I took the .wad files from the link provided in the description part of the youtube link that is provided in the Patching IOS36 part of the softmodding guide, and I did the patching process using the SD card and not internet. And after I did the patching the HBC showed upside down. However, I continued to the next part of the guide 'Installing Preloader and new cIOS. I put the files on the SD card as it says in the guide, and I started the Preloader from the Homebrew Channel. And it installed it but after that it only shows that black options screen menu I mentioned earlier. So I didn't get to the cIOS part yet since I couldn't.

1. Yes I'm able to start the Homebrew Channel now that I put the hackmii installer v.06's boot.elf to the root of my SD card. I chose "Load/Install files" from that black options screen. I then clicked the 'Installed File' and it starts the bootmii where it says you can install Homebrew, DVDx and Bootmii (but can only install it as IOS). That's how I got the homebrew channel working first. And I can get to the BootMii's recovery screen too.

2. The system got like this when I installed the preloader from Homebrew Channel so I didn't get to install the cIOS file that I had on my SD card.

3 The System Menu was 3.4E.

4. I'm not sure what you mean here but before I backed up the NAND I could only install bootmii as IOS and now after the system went bad after loading preloader that I was able to start hackmii installer's v.06 from the SD card it could still install it only as IOS, not boot2.

And btw is it safe to continue the recovery process after bootmii recovery says what it says, I asked this earlier too. And do I need a GameCube controller?

7. user0002
    OP

Finland

The System Menu was 3.4E.

8. timishu

Member timishu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here's what I think would be your best shot at fixing your Wii. It involves reinstalling the System Menu and also installing a new version of IOS60. This will remove your current PreLoader, but you can still install it assuming you Trucha Bug IOS60 when you install it.

1. Install cIOS249. This will allow you to use fake signing programs, which you'll need to install a new System Menu.
    http://filetrip.net/f5958-cIOS--installer-38r14.html

2. Use Dop-IOS Mod. This can install system files for your Wii through your SD card or the internet. Start by downloading IOS60, apply the fakesigning bug when it asks if you want it. Afterward, use it again to install system menu 4.0E.
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS/Dop-IOS_MOD

Before you do this, I would make sure that you are already autobooting to the system menu, AND returning to the system menu with PreLoader since you will be removing PreLoader. You can reinstall after adding system menu 4.0E.

9. user0002
    OP

Finland
    Also if I remove from wii the SD card where I have the , then I can't use homebrew channel, so wii removes it every time I turn it off in this current state, which means I have to keep the SD card in and when I start I have to load/install the hackmii installer v.06's boot.elf again to get the homebrew channel working and the bootmii recovery too. Also I have to choose the Installed File from the black options screen and install the homebrew channel, dvdx and bootmii every time I start the system.

I took some screenshots along the way, quality is not too good:

Screenshot from Homebrew Channel:

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/homebrewscreen.gif/

As you can see it says in the upper right corner: 1.06 IOS35 v12.16

Launching BootMii:

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/bootmiiscreen.gif/

it says:
    Mounting SD card..
    Creating directory '/bootmii'...
    Writing '/bootmii/armboot.bin'...
    Writing '/bootmii/ppsboot.elf'...
    Writing config file...
    Skipped already exists.

Done

Install BootMii/IOS now?

Yes.
    No take me back

-- So I wrote that there too because of the poor quality of the image --

Next bootmii install next screen:

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/bootmiiscreen2.gif/

Uninstalling BootMii/IOS
    Removing title 0x000.. (I can't make out of the photo what it is)
    Deleting 1 ticket
    Installing BootMii/IOS

Success.

Continue.

----

Last is a screenshot of the BootMii's infoscreen:

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/bootmiiinfo.gif/

It says System Menu is 3.4E boot1? boot2v4

So there's some info too.

10. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    dude what the hell are you doing???

it sounds like you need to reinstall preloader. normally when you install it it will corrupt the system menu, then you boot back into it go into hbc and reinstall preloader.

all you are doing is installing and uninstalling bootmii, the hackmii INSTALLER will not give you access to programs its simply made to install software.

since i don't have bootmii i can't really help here, but you really need to read thoroughly before you attempt something like this, you are out of control.

look for a program or how to load bootmii as an ios and do so, then install your nand backup, you NEED a gamecube controller for this to work, as you said you have to press a+x+b+y, which can only be done with gamecube controller.

11. user0002
    OP

Finland

What do you mean what am I doing? I was softmodding like it says in the stickied guide but it went to the black screen (the one below) after installing preloader. What you say about preloader.. You say it corrupts the system menu but does it go to a black screen where it reads this:

Systemmenu
    Homebrew Channel
    Installed File

Load/Install File
    Systemmenu Hacks
    Settings

Because that's what happened to me and I couldn't get access anything until I put the SD card with Hackmii's installer on the root of it and only after selecting load/install the file it let's me do anything like opening the HBC and accessing the BootMii recovery. But what should I do now?

Is it this what you're talking about the preloader:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick#Using_Preloader

What about this:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick#Using_BootMii

When I start the HBC it reads in the upper right corner: 1.06 IOS35 v12.16
    And when I go to BootMii and info it says: System Menu is 3.4E boot1? boot2v4

What is my situation anyway because I don't know. Can I get the system menu back or do need to get the GameCube controller to run the BootMii recovery process?
    Has the BootMii recovery worked for others since it isn't boot2 but installed as IOS, since the BootMii recovery says 'checking boot2... BootMii not found. Dangerous to continue. If you want to continue press a+b+y+z"

But have others got their NAND back by doing that recovery process here with BootMii installed as IOS?

EDIT: I think you misunderstood something because I can launch bootmii from HBC, but I always have to load/install that Hackmii's v0.6 boot.elf again if Wii has been shut down because otherwise it says HBC is not installed. So the information disappears when I shut down Wii. But I can install the HBC and launch the BootMii, but I'm wondering about the BootMii recovery process...

12. icebrg5

United States
    Did you ever change the autoboot and return to settings in preloader?

Make sure they both say system menu.

13. user0002
    OP

Finland
    I haven't done that yet. It was already so late last night I went to bed. But before I change those settings to system menu, I do have two questions about the settings. When I patched the IOS36 as it says in the Fully softmod your wii guide, the IOS number was 36 and now after the preloader problem the homebrew channel shows it is IOS35, how come this happened?

Also when you earlier talked about the settings you said I should also change the 'system menu IOS' to something else from 70, depending on what firmware I have. Well, the BootMii info screen says 3.4E and HBC says IOS35. What number should I change system menu IOS to now?

14. user0002
    OP

Finland

I tried that but it doesn't go to system menu. It just shows a garbled screen that reads system files are corrupted refer to manual for troubleshooting.

15. user0002
    OP

Finland
    I got the system menu back when I changed the autoboot and preloader settings to system menu like you adviced icpmattj, but I had to set the 'system menu IOS' to 36. That is weird because the Homebrew Channel says it is 35 and not 36. I first tried setting the 'system menu IOS' to 35 and then it didn't work.

EDIT:

Also I was wondering if it is safe to continue modding further following the guide. Is it a problem that my system menu is 3.4 and not higher like 4.0 or 4.1? What is the safe way to update the system menu? I don't have internet connection for the wii. Also, if I update the system menu to a higher will it undo the earlier parts of softmodding I've done. I did patch the IOS36 as in the guide.

16. icebrg5

United States
    I would follow xzxeros guide to update to 4.2

This will update all your ios files and your system menu to the latest available.

It will however delete preloader,but that can always be reinstalled after you are on 4.2

You have to be very careful following his guide though because if you install the files in the wrong order then it will brick your wii.So make sure you read it carefully.

About the IOS setting in preloader.It should work with setting the ios to whatever the system menu requires.

3.4=ios50
    4.0=ios60
    4.1=ios60
    4.2=ios70

If it doesn't work with setting preloader to the system menu iso then something is wrong with the preloader install or you patched the ios used by the system menu after installing preloader.Patching the system menu ios file after preloader is installed will result in the "system menu is corrupt" message to appear.

Reinstalling preloader will usually fix the message.

If it was my wii and it had these issue i would just update it to 4.2 that way you are fully updated on all your iso files.