I bricked my unmodded wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by BrandonKlopp, Jan 2, 2012.

Jan 2, 2012

I bricked my unmodded wii by BrandonKlopp at 8:23 PM (2,573 Views / 1 Likes) 15 replies

1. BrandonKlopp
    OP

Newcomer BrandonKlopp Newbie

So the other day I decided to go to the internet channel to get a massive AR card on my 50' TV screen to view on my 3DS. I click the internet channel and I get a black screen. I press the power button, nothing happens. I Hold the power button, nothing happens. So I have to pull the plug to get the thing to restart. I decide to delete the internet channel and reinstall it, thinking this will fix any problems. I delete the channel....the wii sits there for 10 minutes trying to delete it......nothing happens. I press the power button, nothing happens. I Hold the power button, nothing happens. Again I have to pull the plug KNOWING I'll fuck SOMETHING up while it's trying delete a channel, but I was left with no other option.

I power the thing back on and I see that the internet channel was gone from the menu. Good I thought, so I go to redownload the internet channel and I get an error code (that I probably should've wrote down) after attempting a download. I don't remember the last time I had the wii on...but now every time I turn it on I get a black screen and I can turn it off by holding in the power button for a few seconds. The wii remote will sync up with the console and the p1 led lights up...but other than that I think my wii is bricked.

Please note that I have never modded my wii in any shape or form. It's as stock as I got it day one November 2006.

I already called nintendo and I can get i fixed for $90 but I decided to come here before shipping it out to see if there is another (cheaper) way.

Any suggestions?

1 person likes this.
  2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i think the 2006 part means you have a few options.
    first thing i would try is the recovery menu + smash stack PAL.
    if you cant get to the recovery menu, then i would say to get ahold of somebody that has a nand programmer. they can install bootmii @ boot2, and fix it right up.

3. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Smash Stack PAL?

@BrandonKlopp: I found this:
    Since you don't have BootMii preinstalled, or a SaveMii Dongle, I'm afraid that there may be no way to fix your Wii.

1 person likes this.
  4. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I find it shocking nintendo won't fix this free of charge even though it's out of warranty. It's clearly something that's went wrong with their software.

5. ground

Member ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    try what giantpune is saying,

download the exploit (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack#Unofficial_PAL.2FKOR_Version)
    and start it whit savemiifrii (http://www.qj.net/qjnet/wii/savemiifrii-unbrick-a-wii-using-only-a-gamecube-controller.html)

6. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    nm

1 person likes this.
  7. meohsix

Newcomer meohsix Advanced Member

United States
    Hi lowmax, hope you fix your wii

8. BrandonKlopp
    OP

Newcomer BrandonKlopp Newbie

That's what I was thinking. The lady I talked to didn't have a clue what was wrong and asked me to check like 3 times if my wii was hooked up to my tv right. It seems they charge a flat rate for ANY console repair. The fact is that it's out of warranty so even if it is a problem with their software...they can still charge me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. WHY would the internet channel just stop working all the sudden??

1 person likes this.
  9. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    NAND chip maybe read/write limitation wore out the chip, and Wii's System Menu had no tolerance on such bad channel.

The only thing to avoid this is to remove the channel manually (i dont know how since you dont have any hacks installed on your wii) and see if it boots again. Also, its a good time to start using NEEK2O now.

10. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sorry for the crappy experience with this Wii. But note, the Wii can be found on sale for $90 now and again. If you don't have a need to play gamecube games the new blue Wii list for $120 and I've seen it on sales a few times for $90-$100. Good luck.

11. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    This. I'd just buy a used Wii rather than paying Nintendo to repair yours. Just make sure to softmod it this time that way if anything happens you have some sort of protection. I'm pretty sure you can get preowned Wii's at Lamestop for around $75 to $90.

I know a guy who sent his Wii in to Nintendo for repair and they #$%&ed up his SD card slot and also broke the cover for it off. #$%&ing Nintendo.

12. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I would PM DeadlyFoez if I were you. AFAIK he will repair your Wii free of charge. My guess is that your NAND is corrupted.

13. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Where the hell did you get that idea from???? I don't do shit for free. I had to spend over $600 for all the equipment that I use to repair wii's, damn straight I'm going to make some money off of my work.

I charge $40 for my labor fee, which is extremely reasonable.

14. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    For free? Nah, that can't be a job for free, you need special equipment.
    Yeah that's pretty much the only thing you can do, something with the nand sounds seriously corrupted.
    btw sorry but I lol'd so hard about the title I needed to say something :P

15. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Oh wow, I feel like an idiot now. I always thought you did free repairs :P

16. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Agreed. Where did you hear that Foez was a good person who just wanted to help people? Lol, j/k. :rofl2: