Hacking I Bricked my R4iGold Flashcart with YSMenu

Alvy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hello y'all. I'm kinda sad today, I bricked my good R4iGold.cc (2014) by trying to run YSMenu from RetrofanGame.
I had an old R4 before with YSMenu and it was great till my card got lost :( now I had this r4igold (2014) and tried to install YSmenu, I followed every step, formatted my SD card, everything, but after pressing "A" on the YSMenu.nds software all it did was show up a white screen on the bottom and nothing else, I waited like 10 minutes, but nothing. Then I pressed home button on my 3DS to "reboot the R4" but my surprise was... THERE WAS NO R4 icon (Spongebob Atlantis Squarepantis) anymore :sad:.

I tried EVERYTHING I know, even tried to recover the dump I made with ntrboot but the card seems nowhere to be found on the 3DS even when it's there inserted, ugh... If anybody knows what can I do, please let me know.

Please don't tell me to buy a new one because where I live it's really expensive to get one. This is making me so sad and mad at the same time. :cry:

Alvy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
no icon often means contact issue and not a brick.
It never happened before to me with this card. I mean, the card was still inside the 3DS and there was no icon after I went back to Home :( and the saddest part is that not even ntrboot can detect it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It never happened before to me with this card. I mean, the card was still inside the 3DS and there was no icon after I went back to Home :( and the saddest part is that not even ntrboot can detect it.
That cart was not officially supported by NTRBoot and the only method to install NTRBoot on it isn't reversible.
Have you tried removing the cart and cleaning the contacts on the cart with a little rubbing alcohol on q-tip?
YSMenu shouldn't result in a brick, it shouldn't be writing to the firmware.

Alvy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
That cart was not officially supported by NTRBoot and the only method to install NTRBoot on it isn't reversible.
Have you tried removing the cart and cleaning the contacts on the cart with a little rubbing alcohol on q-tip?
YSMenu shouldn't result in a brick, it shouldn't be writing to the firmware.
Already rubbed it with alcohol and q-tip but no luck. :(
I was asking myself that too, why would it mess with the firmware?. It's so frustrating.
And well, my card was recognized by ntrboot_flasher and the only thing I did days ago was a flash dump, nothing else. It created a 2mb .bin file btw.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Already rubbed it with alcohol and q-tip but no luck. :(
I was asking myself that too, why would it mess with the firmware?. It's so frustrating.
And well, my card was recognized by ntrboot_flasher and the only thing I did days ago was a flash dump, nothing else. It created a 2mb .bin file btw.
I am rather confused because the flasher doesn't officially support that cart and shouldn't work with it. Where did you get all of these files?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Alvy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I can't stress enough that if you don't know what you are doing nor know how to fix something, you shouldn't be messing with testing software. That aside, where did you get your YSmenu files?
Well, I did this because I thought this would backup my R4 firmware just in case it got damaged by updating it, I could restore it. I did updated it to the latest version successfully and nothing wrong happened till I stupidly tried the YSMenu.nds file from here https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The latest firmware of the R4.
I honestly can't think of anything else that could have gone wrong. R4 clones are a rather fickle bunch when it comes down to troubleshooting.

Reactions: Alvy

Alvy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I honestly can't think of anything else that could have gone wrong. R4 clones are a rather fickle bunch when it comes down to troubleshooting.

I was thinking the only way to get it back is flashing the winbond eeprom. But I don't have a CH341a programmer.

EDIT: Thank you @Lilith Valentine for being here when I'm almost having a nervous breakdown lol :(

Last edited by Alvy,

leg0

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've just bricked mine doing the same, after trying to run YSMenu.nds from RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update v7.06.7z the spongebob icon is not showing anymore. Already tried to reformat using Panasonic formatter, but still getting the message "There is nothing inserted in the Game Card slot".
Be careful!

My card is R4i3D 2016

Googling "ysmenu brick r4" brought some other results with the same issue

Attachments

• Google results.txt
    422 bytes · Views: 84
  • r4i3d.jpg
    r4i3d.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by leg0,
  • Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

boots_n_cats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've just bricked mine doing the same, after trying to run YSMenu.nds from RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update v7.06.7z the spongebob icon is not showing anymore. Already tried to reformat using Panasonic formatter, but still getting the message "There is nothing inserted in the Game Card slot".
Be careful!

My card is R4i3D 2016

Googling "ysmenu brick r4" brought some other results with the same issue
This is what drives me crazy about the people who are like "LOL just put ysmenu on it" when someone is asking what kernel they need. Half the time YSMenu isn't going to work for their cart and sometimes it can permabrick the cart in the process.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've just bricked mine doing the same, after trying to run YSMenu.nds from RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update v7.06.7z the spongebob icon is not showing anymore
Why did you use YSMenu if your r4 is not listed among the supported flashcarts? The danger is clearly expressed at the beginning of the RetroFanGame thread! If your r4's icon no longer appears on the DS menu (which you should see even without microSD inserted), then there's nothing left to do, sadly.

capriccio.gif

Reactions: impeeza

leg0

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why did you use YSMenu if your r4 is not listed among the supported flashcarts? The danger is clearly expressed at the beginning of the RetroFanGame thread! If your r4's icon no longer appears on the DS menu (which you should see even without microSD inserted), then there's nothing left to do, sadly.

View attachment 279549
There is one, under "spoiler: dat folder", with the same website
w w w r4i3d com LABELLED R4i3D NEW

• Wow
Reactions: Nikokaro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well