I bricked my 3ds!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by FakuMotaFaka, Apr 7, 2016.

1. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

FakuMotaFaka GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    So a stupid move I know..
    I was trying to get arm9loaderhax the shortcut way by runing the SafeArm9LoaderHax. I used my old 2ds otp.bin file although I read to not do that but I said what the hay.. It's hardbricked now.. Someone help me fix it. I did a sysnand backup. Should I have done a nand backup?

Last edited by FakuMotaFaka, Apr 7, 2016

2. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    LOL!! Question the sysnand back up to confirm is what I can restore back right? Not just a nand.bin.. Confuse about those 2...

3. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    so.. aa... excuse my noobness and thank you for your help.. So the sysnand.bin and nand.bin is the same? XD

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I guess they are.. Thanks bros. I know someone that can solder.. :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And this is my first time I've bricked my 3ds in all these years

TheVinAnator likes this.
  4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Yes I believe they are its just that the tutorial told you to name them differently correct it's just that you'll want to work with the very first backup so if it was either band.bin or Sysnand.bin but I'm guessing it's nand

5. democracy

democracy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    I'm confused about what you did that resulted in a brick?

Games&Stuff likes this.
  6. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    He sped up the process by not getting his own otp and instead using a previous one he got from another system (2ds)

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  7. Salamencizer

Salamencizer Handsome Computer Nerd

Oct 3, 2015
    India
    Below
    Your 3DS is not a fuckin amoeba that another Amoeba's Nucleus will work in it. The guides are written as to minimise the risk of you getting a brick. Please follow them properly, word to word, from now on.
    If your 3DS was a New 3DS, it would not have been bricked, because SafeA9LHInstaller Checks the OTP hashes before installing.

Tomato Hentai and 9fiftyfive like this.
  8. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    There's a reason the guide walks you through how to extract OTP - it's a SYSTEM SPECIFIC set of keys. If you could simply use a generic set of keys, the guide would have linked it, I'm sure. Chalk this up as an expensive lesson learned, and next time don't try and take shortcuts...usually the community writes guides for these sorts of processes in the most efficient way possible given the current sets of tools available to them.

Last edited by dubbz82, Apr 7, 2016
    ZoneBlaze and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  9. Zech
    This message by Zech has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 8, 2016, Reason: Nice meemay.
    Apr 7, 2016
  10. SkyChotik

SkyChotik Well-known Member

Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    Lmfao, used a 2ds otp.bin.
    Those are device specific.
    Even if it was console specific it wouldn't have worked!

11. Purge

Purge GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    United States
    ...Really? "Hm this says not to use any OTP.bin that was dumped from a different 3DS...let's do the exact opposite of that!"

This is honestly the dumbest way to brick I've seen so far. Plailect explicitly states in the guide that you will brick GUARANTEED if you do this. And you did it anyway.

12. Uziskull

Uziskull Picture may not be real

Nov 15, 2015
    Portugal
    Somewhere, probably
    So, you read about A9LH instalation, saw that you couldn't use another console's otp file, and decided to use it anyway. Ah, the Internet never ceases to amaze me.

pbanj likes this.
  13. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Wait, you used an OTP.bin from a different console?

Even common sense should have told you not to, you'd think if downgrading was avoidable the guides wouldn't tell you to do so.

Sorry but you kinda deserve it, but I hope you manage to fix it. I'm curious though, you screwed up in Arm9 level, does that means you have a blue screen brick? Is that fixable with a hardmod?

pbanj, DeslotlCL and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  14. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Stop with the bashing already. OP already admitted his mistake. Glad there were some legit replies before the storm began.

Actually, more than glad I am impressed! Normally the bashing would have started from the first reply :P

The first replies were helpful and subsequent replies maintained the same tone. Then someone brought in some negativity and it continued.

Please stay positive, it induces more "positivity" :)

Last edited by bowser, Apr 7, 2016
  15. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    Exactly right. OMG what the hell is wrong with you guys. You make it sound like it's the end of the world. Come on I have a nand backup here after all right. I know a few people that would fix the probs for me for some $$.
    Admittedly actually the biggest mistake was to skip everything and trying to get the a9lh that means skipping downgrading to 2.1 LMFAO.
    And think positivity :D

16. FakuMotaFaka
    OP

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    I've done it one time with my 2ds.. Took hell of a long time but everything went smoothly.

17. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Nice !

Pip'

18. kje123

kje123 this title is false

Aug 9, 2015
    United States
    Seattle
    FakuMotaFaka and invaderyoyo like this.
  19. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yeah, doing the hard mod is actually pretty simple. I bricked 2 N3DSXL's. I sent the first one to get fixed. I got impatient and decided to go ahead and try it myself on the second one and it was a complete success. I wish I had tried first...

20. kje123

kje123 this title is false

Aug 9, 2015
    United States
    Seattle
    The riskiest part of hardmodding is soldering the data0/clk/cmd points on the mobo. And even then, if you use flux and don't lift the pads it's pretty simple.

21. ImAStalker
    This message by ImAStalker has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 8, 2016, Reason: Garbage.
    Apr 7, 2016
  22. kje123
    This message by kje123 has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 8, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Apr 7, 2016
  23. Just Passing By
    This message by Just Passing By has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Apr 8, 2016, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Apr 7, 2016
  24. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Someone was going to do it eventually.

pbanj likes this.