Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have I made a mistake? Probably. Will a certain JRPG make buying a Vita worthwhile? Almost certain.

So yeah, I bought a Vita so I thought I may as well express my thoughts on the device. I would post this in blogs but now one fucking reads blogs so I'm leaving it here.

Firstly I'll talk about the console itself. It is very nice and lovely. The OLED screen is fantastic, it's so big and colours just look so so pretty on it. It makes playing games on it such a joy to look at. The analog sticks I found to be pretty good for the most part. It felt rather loose and it did take some time getting used to using it but once I did games were fine to play. The face buttons are decent as well, they could be bigger and it isn't that much of an issue for me. The D pad is wonderful. Best D pad I've used in ages, it just feels great, I can imagine playing 2D games on it would be absolutely brilliant. The touch screen works and is good typing shit in. The touchpad is essentially irrelevant unless you want to use it for R2 and L2 buttons.

I like the online functionality of it. It was pretty painless and linking it to my PSN account is very nice. I like how when a friend signs in, the top right of the screen just mentions it ensuring you see it but it doesn't inconvenience you. The PSN store is ok, certainly better than the PS3 store, I do wish things would load that more quicker. Though the user interface in competent enough. Though I do wish the store would just state how big games/files are, this just grates me to no end for fucking obvious reasons.

There's some miscellaneous things I want to mention, I LOVE customisation my wallpaper. As trivial as it sounds, I love this kind of shit. It just makes my Vita more 'personal' that its mine. Whereas my 3DS it just feels sterile and dull looking it and just wishing I can theme it up. Content Manager is fucking irritating, just setting it up is a chore and Sony really shouldn't have to to do this shit to their customers. It makes what should be a simple process into a process that takes longer than it should. Memory cards are a bitch and everyone knows why so I won't go into detail.

Regarding gaems, I can't talk much about Vita gaems because the Vita has no gaems. Or I just happened no to have played many gaems on it. The only retail game I own it Persona 4 Golden and yes it is fucking excellent and well worth buying despite the fact I bought the PS2 version on release four years. The game is joy but with all the extra content it worth it. I'm only ten hours in so I'm looking forward to seeing all the new shit added. Plus it doesn't fucking freeze on me for 3-5 minutes when I utilise an essential game mechanics.

And there's the gaems from PS+ which is a fucking excellent service which has incentivized me to buy a Vita. I've played Uncharted Golden Abyss, it's clearly the weakest on the Uncharted gaems rather still a good action-adventure gaem in its own right. The gyro aiming is very good and I like it very much. Using the touchpad when sniping is a pretty good idea and generally works really well. And then all the other touch shit brings the game down. Wiping shit is pointless, cutting shit is pointless, fighting with swipes is fucking terrible. I did what I do with other Uncharted gaems and put it on hard for the first playthrough and I'm at the point where I have that boss battle with Dante where you engage in fisticuffs. The issue is, you have to use the fucking touch scree. You make swipes to attack and dodge. I am completely unable to do this and takes several minutes only allowing you two chances to fuck up with no checkpoints. And did I mention at no point previously in the game are in a prolonged fight of such swiping nature? This fucking irritated me to no end and I really don't think this part of of the game was particularly well designed. Buttons>>>touch screen swiping.

Other shit I played was Sine Mora which is really good. I like my shoot em ups (and arcade gaems in general) and this is one I want to spend time on despite being shit at it. Thomas Was Alone is a indie puzzle-platformer which I really liked. The storytelling is pretty interesting in how in characteristics some shapes. I like it lots. I've also got Jet Set Radio, Gravity Rush and VLR waiting for me. So I'm looking forward to fucking around with the. Regarding gaems I want to buy, Soul Sacrifice looks interesting, Lumines cuz I love Lumines. Guacamelee looks fucking excellent and I need a Metroidvania that isn't Castlevania or Cave Story. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 as well cuz of the Vita's Dpad as well as Rayman Legends and lastly Murasama Rebirth because of it's new translation and of course dat dpad.

In the short term, I'm relatively satisfied with my purchase. Obviously it needs more gaems but I've got quite a few to mess around with. Having a PS3 and PS+ does make the deal sweeter for me. At At least Persona 4 will give at least fifty hours alone so I think I'll be ok. Double when I eventually replay it...

tl;dr: I bought a Vita and only use it to play weeaboo gaems.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-JFoV.gif

Welcome to the cub.

emigre

Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where'd you buy it from? Did you get a good deal?

I got it second hand. I bought off a friend of my brother in law. I got the Wifi version in an official box with all the cables, manuals, AR cards. It came with a case and a memory card. I paid £135 altogether including P&P. I'm pretty satisfied with how much I paid.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita is actually worth getting. I got mine at launch with only Uncharted and that's all I really had to play for two months until Disgaea 3 came out. Of course, being able to play PSP games on it was a pretty big godsend. I think the Vita definitely improved a lot late last year - it got Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation followed by Playstation Plus and Persona 4 Golden (I imported that). Since then it seems to have gained some momentum. I think now is probably the best time to buy one if you haven't already.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Welcome to the handheld master race!
Get Soul Sacrifice its awesome!

Oh and about the AR cards, I sold mine on ebay for £10 as theres an android app with all the Vita cards that works the same.

Reactions: Deleted User

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Got mine 2nd hand as well. Good deal with memory card and some meh games. Pity it was missing the AR cards. Good to know that good ol' Android has an app for that. Never actually thought of it.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Look forward to Rayman Origins (not legends, legends hasn't been announced for it... yet) The game is damn fine on a portable system, and the vita version is just a perfect port with some added content. An since you have plus try out gravity rush, if it tickles your fancy. Pretty fun game right there.

D

Deleted_171835

Look forward to Rayman Origins (not legends, legends hasn't been announced for it... yet) The game is damn fine on a portable system, and the vita version is just a perfect port with some added content. An since you have plus try out gravity rush, if it tickles your fancy. Pretty fun game right there.
Legends is coming (insider says so, multiple rumours, retailer listings).

...and ignore brightneko, gravity rush is repetitive, dull and a waste of time.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Legends is coming (insider says so, multiple rumours, retailer listings).

...and ignore brightneko, gravity rush is repetitive, dull and a waste of time.

Oh my seriously? Can I have a link for this gossip, cause if it is I need to save for a copy. An just opinion hon, it is free on PS+ so it doesn't really hurt to try.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll admit that I pretty much only got a Vita to play P4G... I felt pretty apprehensive about buying a console to mostly play just one game (though, I'm expecting to get more games down the line, eventually) but I got it for ~200 USD second-hand with both P4G and some Black Ops game that's fun enough if you just want to waste time so I'm pretty satisfied overall. Seeing that I've clocked ~100 hours into P4G (and still haven't finished it yet) makes me feel like my purchase was a good investment, but it horrifies me at the same time.

And, I'll admit, I enjoyed getting the trophies in Welcome Park. ;;>_>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat