Gaming I am in love with Windows 8 dev build?

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
downloaded it but i got no drivers now so ill stick with 7,wont even lemme install my own drivers 4 sum reason

JiN1337

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's decent. There's some negative things about Metro, and some good things, it's still too soon to tell. I myself however, prefer Linux Mint 11.

In any case, for those of you test driving Windows 8 Dev, but you don't like the new Metro start menu..follow these steps to get your Windows 7 GUI back (this includes explorer.exe's ribbons being changed back to Windows 7's default style)

While there’s already plenty to like about Windows 8, you might not be enjoying the new start menu. Like many of you, I’m a big fan of the Windows Vista and Windows 7 start menu — and the search box is a feature I lean on heavily in my daily computing. It’s gone in Windows 8, or at least it has for now in the developer build, but getting it back isn’t all that hard.

If you want to change the Windows 8 start menu back to the Windows 7 version, here’s what you need to do:

Code:
Launch the registry editor (win+r > regedit >enter)
ÂÂÂÂDrill down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
ÂÂÂÂDouble-click on RPEnabled
ÂÂÂÂChange the value from 1 toÂÂ(zero)
ÂÂÂÂTap enter or click OK

The change will take place immediately — just tap the Windows key on your keyboard twice to try it out (the first press will slide the Metro start screen back into view).
Once you make the change, the trademark Windows 8 start screen will no longer appear after you log in. Instead, you’ll be greeted by an interface that looks almost exactly like your existing Windows 7 desktop — the only real difference being the squared-off window borders on your applications. Whether the menu makes it as an option in the final Windows 8 release is unknown, but I’m sure Microsoft will be getting plenty of feedback about its removal.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:
I dont even personally want to go near it.

One, I am not in the mood to waste bandwidth (4.3 GB!? Honestly!?)
Two, I hate the new Metro-style.
Three, I kinda hate Windows...naw thats a lie...I disdain Windows entirely.

So, yeah, I'll be skipping this one. I guess if it works for you that's great, but I personally spite the look of it entirely.

You can download the one that does not include developer tools which is a bit smaller at 3.8GB though.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried to install it in my Oracle VM virtual box. I get an error everytime in the beginning of the installation (windows is expanding files) or somewhere else. One time, I could finish the installation, but then it freezed at the preperations and said I need to reinstall it. Anyone got this to run on this vm/another vm and can tell me how ?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Not a fan. This dev build is clearly focused on touch enabled devices. The fact that you have to use the mouse to slide up the screen to get to the login menu or that you have to tap the Windows key to go back from any app...ugh. I'm hoping that they provide a PC experience later on, but yea not a fan of the dev build.
I also dislike the touchscreen feel to this build. The login screen I believe you can click up on the arrow instead of sliding with your mouse. The metro/start screen I could get used to but it is such a big change. MS should of at least let middle click open the original start menu or to have metro icon somewhere else. The ribbon theme appearing in everything to me is annoying and clutters up everything.

hunter291 said:
I tried to install it in my Oracle VM virtual box. I get an error everytime in the beginning of the installation (windows is expanding files) or somewhere else. One time, I could finish the installation, but then it freezed at the preperations and said I need to reinstall it. Anyone got this to run on this vm/another vm and can tell me how ?

It works fine for me on the latest version. Choose Windows 7 as your operating system before you install.

JiN1337 said:
Launch the registry editor (win+r > regedit >enter)
ÂÂÂÂDrill down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
ÂÂÂÂDouble-click on RPEnabled
ÂÂÂÂChange the value from 1 toÂÂ(zero)
ÂÂÂÂTap enter or click OK

Not sure if it changed the login screen with this but if it doesn't change the local machine key too, if you want of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@