Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the way this thread is going I wonder if people would believe me if I made some IRC logs and said Hykem joined gatewait? Checking Hykem's posts tells a totally different story than the tangent explored in this thread.

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Annonomous releases are so easy now days.
Like commander Odven once said "If Hypem doesn't release it, the Chinese will."
I think some people may be too proud to anonymously release something. This is probably complete speculation, but I assume when you're done hacking a console and you get to release it, it's probably like a glorification for some people.

KoolKidsKlub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, its quite simple. Ever since Sony took geohot to task with jailbreaking ps3... All devs including failoverflow are shtting bricks... So that's why you have devs who can break into these systems and reverse engineer them to bits.... But they all come out with the standard "I am against piracy" line just to keep the solicitors at bay.
You know that geohot also did what he could to keep piracy at bay like Hykem is doing if it's as SonyUSA said, right? While I don't think that is why the CURRENT devs don't release piracy-enabling homebrew/exploits, I do think that is why guys who exploit for the sole reason of piracy don't come up anymore or as often, or at least part of it. The people like Hykem and MN1 have an interest in digital/hardware security. Even outside of consoles/video games, there exists "hackers" who only exploit to learn/because it interest them. They don't have malicious intentions.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure Sony attepted to sue f0f too but I think that was dropped. They were the ones who gave geohot the basis of the exploit they used IIRC.
EDIT2: but yeah, I have a genuine interest in reverse engineering and sometimes bust out ollydbg and IDA to "crack"/explore software for fun. No actual interest in pirating the said software. I'm just curious about how it works haha

Can someone please explain the concept behind "I'm going to release an exploit that gives users access to the "entire" console and definitely can't ever enable piracy so Nintendo won't care at all" How is an exploit that opens the system going to prevent piracy? There's literally no point in placing measures to "prevent" piracy into such code when Nintendo doesn't want their console exploited period. They will patch it as soon as they can.
Exploiting for piracy is viewed much worse when money/a court case is involved.

Last edited by KoolKidsKlub,

Dark_AleX

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dark-alex.org
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Because they don't want legal trouble is my assumption. I think I remember a guy from the PS3 days of Hacking... geohot or something like that, got sued hard by Sony IIRC.

Maybe he thinks it'll save his bum from something similar.

That's why I lied about my country the whole time. Geohot was a legend, by the way.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
People need to understand 'saying' is one thing and 'doing' is another. Just because hykem or any dev says they are preventing this or trying to avoid that doesn't mean sh1t in reality. Understanding that is fundamental if you want to see through all the "obfuscation" and BS.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Captain Crunch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
People need to understand 'saying' is one thing and 'doing' is another. Just because hykem or any dev says they are preventing this or trying to avoid that doesn't mean sh1t in reality. Understanding that is fundamental if you want to see through all the "obfuscation" and BS.
We're mostly making boundless assumptions because we have nothing better to do.

DarkJediRey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was my understanding that Geohot was sued by sony, but was likely gonna win in litagation. he took a settlement agreement out of court that now prevents him from releasing any exploit for any sony product. but all the money that was donated toward his defense was given to the
Electronic Freedom Federation. Legend in my book

katrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there something I can use that's better than the tubehax DNS? I have it set up on my 3DS and Wii U. But regardless, my Wii U still got updated to 5.5.1 and today I got the update nag on my 3DS. The nag was on emunand so I just got rid of the nag, no harm done. But it's just driving me nuts wondering why the DNS isn't blocking updates like it should.. It worked for me in the past. Any ideas?
Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to search for a solution since I don't like posting much but I didn't find anything that worked.

Captain Crunch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there something I can use that's better than the tubehax DNS? I have it set up on my 3DS and Wii U. But regardless, my Wii U still got updated to 5.5.1 and today I got the update nag on my 3DS. The nag was on emunand so I just got rid of the nag, no harm done. But it's just driving me nuts wondering why the DNS isn't blocking updates like it should.. It worked for me in the past. Any ideas?
Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to search for a solution since I don't like posting much but I didn't find anything that worked.
You should be able to update to the latest 3ds firmware in emunand by now (check depending on what cfw you have). Also you can use opendns, which lets you set custom addresses to block. I'd recommend it as the second DNS though . especially if you have dynamic ip addresses on your router.

katrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to update to the latest 3ds firmware in emunand by now (check depending on what cfw you have). Also you can use opendns, which lets you set custom addresses to block. I'd recommend it as the second DNS though . especially if you have dynamic ip addresses on your router.
I have rxtools so I could totally update but I might hold out for a while. Well, I suppose my router has dynamic IPs then. Is there a list of addresses to block somewhere? I'll search around and try to set it up

monito uchiha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's normal?
I'm playing super Mario Maker online level's in my 5.5.0 console with tubehax set up.

Ps.(Don't judge me :P for the noob question)

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I decided to update so I can play Xenoblade Chronicles X online (which just got an update). The more I think about it, the more I realize the WiiU doesn't have anything worthwhile to pirate anyway. Every games that are worth pirating, I already have and there is nothing Nintendo are working on that is worth it.

Not that it matters, Hykem's exploit work on 5.5.1

Last edited by Giga_Gaia,

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I decided to update so I can play Xenoblade Chronicles X online (which just got an update). The more I think about it, the more I realize the WiiU doesn't have anything worthwhile to pirate anyway. Every games that are worth pirating, I already have and there is nothing Nintendo are working on that is worth it.
snes games are worth pirating though. :P I honestly think, once the ISOU exploit is out, I'll spend more time playing injected VC games than actual retail games (including the 10+ ones I legally own).

Reactions: Exavold

Bkool999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if, since the vwii keys are now out, if it's possible to get the gamepad working as a classic/pro controller? (A Wii one, not Wii U)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo