Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh without a doubt. I killed that shit as soon as I saw 5.5.1 in the system settings. I was PISSED though.

The problem is the fact that at least two large threads included seemingly very informed initial posts describing that you can block updates by using the tubehax dns. So people come in looking to find out what they should do and when the reach the part about how to prevent updates, they don't see "DELETE ALL INTERNET CONNECTIONS ASAP!!!" they see "Use tubehax dns! It works!" when it clearly does not anymore. Unfortunately by the time you figure out it doesn't work, you are already updated.

I agree - there's an awful lot of misinformation being spread through these threads that offers people false reassurances. A DNS will never be fool-proof because all Nintendo need to do is force an update through an unreported URL and people find themselves updated.

Please people, don't risk it. Not until we get proper spoofing on 5.5.0

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wiiu is ONLY set to connect if my laptop is tethering for it... but without any news on 5.5.0 hacks it sits and collects dust, i want to play my disk games but i feel that is even a risk.

99.9% of people DONT know this

if another wiiU is near by with the latest update and your not but you both have streetpass on, it is possible for the updated wiiu to send you a update via streetpass! happened with 3ds but luckily on a 3ds sysnand you can ignore or remove the update.
although it would have to on and connected for a pretty long time to slipstream the update.

Last edited by xdarkmario,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wiiu is ONLY set to connect if my laptop is tethering for it... but without any news on 5.5.0 hacks it sits and collects dust, i want to play my disk games but i feel that is even a risk.

99.9% of people DONT know this

if another wiiU is near by with the latest update and your not but you both have streetpass on, it is possible for the updated wiiu to send you a update via streetpass! happened with 3ds but luckily on a 3ds sysnand you can ignore or remove the update.
although it would have to on and connected for a pretty long time to slipstream the update.

Wonder if it can do that by connecting through a 3ds?

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if it can do that by connecting through a 3ds?
Umm... what?! Be reasonable... lol

I agree - there's an awful lot of misinformation being spread through these threads that offers people false reassurances. A DNS will never be fool-proof because all Nintendo need to do is force an update through an unreported URL and people find themselves updated.

Please people, don't risk it. Not until we get proper spoofing on 5.5.0

There are no unreported URL's that it calls home from (We can see this by monitoring traffic), and Nintendo can't -force- an update through an unreported URL because the traffic doesn't work in reverse. Everyone with a WiiU would have to forward a specific port in their router, then Nintendo would have to spam EVERY IP ON THE PLANET in hopes of hitting someone with a forwarded port to their WII U in standby mode or powered on.

Last edited by SonyUSA,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... what?! Be reasonable... lol

There are no unreported URL's that it calls home from (We can see this by monitoring traffic), and Nintendo can't -force- an update through an unreported URL because the traffic doesn't work in reverse. Everyone with a WiiU would have to forward a specific port in their router, then Nintendo would have to spam EVERY IP ON THE PLANET in hopes of hitting someone with a forwarded port to their WII U in standby mode or powered on.

I never bothered to check myself, but the poster I was replying to seemed to think a WiiU had streetpass/spotpass like communication capabilities like a 3DS. So I wondered if, assuming this was the case, a WiiU could potentially use a nearby 3ds that had an internet connection to download the update. Probably not possible, just curious.

As for the people saying tubehax dns is working for them, then that is great. Mind if i ask what firmware you are on at the moment? Because there are an AWFUL lot of people who added the tubehax dns after being on 5.5.0 who still got updated to 5.5.1, which strongly suggests that a url that 5.5.0 checks for updates is not being blocked by the DNS.

All this talk of "you need to set it in your router because your router will override the wii u's dns settings" is bullshit, and if you honestly believe that you have no idea how DNS and internet traffic really work.

When a device makes a connection attempt to a url, it will ALWAYS forward the dns request to resolve the url to an ip to the DNS that is set in its config. If you set one manually, that is what it will use. If you did not set one then the DNS it will use is the gateway address it connects to, or the router/modem, which will then use its own DNS to resolve the IP.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never bothered to check myself, but the poster I was replying to seemed to think a WiiU had streetpass/spotpass like communication capabilities like a 3DS. So I wondered if, assuming this was the case, a WiiU could potentially use a nearby 3ds that had an internet connection to download the update. Probably not possible, just curious.

As for the people saying tubehax dns is working for them, then that is great. Mind if i ask what firmware you are on at the moment? Because there are an AWFUL lot of people who added the tubehax dns after being on 5.5.0 who still got updated to 5.5.1, which strongly suggests that a url that 5.5.0 checks for updates is not being blocked by the DNS.

All this talk of "you need to set it in your router because your router will override the wii u's dns settings" is bullshit, and if you honestly believe that you have no idea how DNS and internet traffic really work.

When a device makes a connection attempt to a url, it will ALWAYS forward the dns request to resolve the url to an ip to the DNS that is set in its config. If you set one manually, that is what it will use. If you did not set one then the DNS it will use is the gateway address it connects to, or the router/modem, which will then use its own DNS to resolve the IP.

You -could- redirect port 53 to the DNS server of your choice in your router/gateway to override the client's choice of DNS... ;3

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Specifically, the instructions for setting up the tubehax dns are correct. You only need to set it to the first one and then zero out (000.000.000.000) the second. Doing so forces the system to redirect ALL dns requests through the only listed dns it has. The problem is one of two things, either there was a new url added in 5.5.0 that was not present in 5.4.0 and that tubehax does not block yet (and there was talk of this happening around 10.1 or 10.2 for the 3ds, so no reason to assume it cant happen with the Wii U) or the system is holding a dns cache (much like Windows does) with previously resolved IP addresses for listed urls. In this case it would refer to the cache first to grab the ip, without ever contacting the DNS. If so then we need a confirmed way to clear this cache.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You -could- redirect port 53 to the DNS server of your choice in your router/gateway to override the client's choice of DNS... ;3
Yes, but that is not relevant here.

You are talking about using a feature of a router to override a hard-coded dns in a device. That is useful for when you cannot access or alter said dns, which we CAN do.

Bkool999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm on 5.5.0 U. My system attempted to download the update, but tubehax dns was able to block it. I opened up download management and there was a red "X" saying "System Update" (maybe not exact, but that's basically it)

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 5.5.0 U. My system attempted to download the update, but tubehax dns was able to block it. I opened up download management and there was a red "X" saying "System Update" (maybe not exact, but that's basically it)

Then it sounds like the issue is the presence of a dns resolver cache. Only way I can think of to fully clear that would be to delete any and all connections and then power the system down completely and unplug it to make sure the damn thing actually turns OFF and not just goes into standby.

Btw, does anyone know if the WiiU is capable of connecting to a Nintendo Zone if one happens to be in range? (like a fake one for street passes)

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are that worried about updating, yet still do not grasp networking, just unplug your wiiu from the wall, no accidental upgrading, problem solved.

Reactions: frogboy

Insidious611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re: the person who asked what firmware I'm on that tubehax DNS is working for me: 5.5.0.

HOWEVER. I never had my Wii U set up without tubehax DNS, I bought it used in December and, as I've been waiting for the IOSU exploit, had it set up with that since.

Last edited by Insidious611,

CloudLionHeart

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I am on 5.3.2E and i am hosting the exploit file on my pc and android phone with a separate router with no dsl cable pluged - meanning no internet connection present, then i connect my wiiu to it and launch the exploits. I don't think there any danger of updating that way :). I used this techinque because my low cost router didn't properly block DNS, URL and mac adresses. Maybe this a case some got updated.
+ Stand by OFF
+StreetPass OFF
+Tubehax ON

Edit: Never got online with my Wiiu to get my DNS cached.

Last edited by CloudLionHeart,

shibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wiiU wont allow me to do a software upgrade (Splatoon 2.5.0) only without updating the system first to 5.5.1... this is sad because I really love playing Splatoon but I am also waiting for the 5.5.0 exploit... We really live in a harsh world.

CloudLionHeart

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
My wiiU wont allow me to do a software upgrade (Splatoon 2.5.0) only without updating the system first to 5.5.1... this is sad because I really love playing Splatoon but I am also waiting for the 5.5.0 exploit... We really live in a harsh world.

Sacrifices must be made :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4U-CrK4Hug