Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope this bug that Hykem found in the MCP module turns out to be exploitable. A boot-time exploit would be truly amazing. Fingers crossed.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
What. No. This isn't an average desktop. You can't jsut DO this shit.
No. No. Thats not how it works.
says who? assuming the wiiu will boot with no blueray drive connected (which is the exact question they asked, they didnt just say , "I WILL DO THIS") then there would be nothing stopping them just removing the blueray drive and putting a USB hdd in its place.....and even if the wiiu does enforce that the drive is connected he could potentially just leave the PCB connected and remove all the rest which would also free up room for a internal HDD

pedrobarca

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think that Hykem will release a progress update before JAN 5-10. So I recommend to be patient and maybe start downloading stuff with NUSgrabber. :P

PR0r

Trophies
XP
Country
says who? assuming the wiiu will boot with no blueray drive connected (which is the exact question they asked, they didnt just say , "I WILL DO THIS") then there would be nothing stopping them just removing the blueray drive and putting a USB hdd in its place.....and even if the wiiu does enforce that the drive is connected he could potentially just leave the PCB connected and remove all the rest which would also free up room for a internal HDD

Agreed, wiring could be an issue though. I'm sure someone oneday will give this a shot ;)

Reactions: Deleted User

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Ok. So. Let me get this straight, you're saying the Wii U, with the most complicated hardware setup on any console in the last 10 years. You'd like to remove the blu ray drive... (which is probably eSata) and replace it with a hard drive (eSata are expensive mind you) and somehow modify the software to manage the HDD like a disc drive? I ASSUME that's what you are going for... but the startup checks between hardware was very specific for years. The Xboxes wouldn't run without a Disk Drive, so to say that you can just slap any old hard drive in there? I dunno. Go for it. Just don't fuck your shit up. @PR0r, Good luck! Give it a shot. No one will write the mods for you, so you'll have to write this yourself. :) Good luck m8!

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Any hard mod figured out yet? If not mind notifying me if you figure it out?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll see if I can start that if it has not yet.
Looks like the people I know are not interested in making one with me. So, your not getting one from me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok. So. Let me get this straight, you're saying the Wii U, with the most complicated hardware setup on any console in the last 10 years. You'd like to remove the blu ray drive... (which is probably eSata) and replace it with a hard drive (eSata are expensive mind you) and somehow modify the software to manage the HDD like a disc drive? I ASSUME that's what you are going for... but the startup checks between hardware was very specific for years. The Xboxes wouldn't run without a Disk Drive, so to say that you can just slap any old hard drive in there? I dunno. Go for it. Just don't fuck your shit up. @PR0r, Good luck! Give it a shot. No one will write the mods for you, so you'll have to write this yourself. :) Good luck m8!
Didn't the Wii work without a disk drive?

Reactions: OctopusRift

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since when did they state that they were going to use the BR-ROM's circuitry or connection? It's easy enough to rout a small hole in the back of the console and put a USB cable through it to one of the rear slots. Else, the cleaner approach would be to solder in an internal USB connection from the same rear ports, and simply block the hijacked rear port with a dummy. There's no need to take over the BR-ROM's connection at all.

ShinLarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG me too! hahaha

it doenst work with loadiine?
I just recently got a Wii-U for the holidays. I can play a Japanese Wii-U game with something called loadline? Please tell me more! :O Sorry I seem like such a noob at this. I have everything else hacked except the wii-u.. I literally only bought it for Xenoblade and SMT x FE .. someone let me know if there is a way I can play this game already ><

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just recently got a Wii-U for the holidays. I can play a Japanese Wii-U game with something called loadline? Please tell me more! :O Sorry I seem like such a noob at this. I have everything else hacked except the wii-u.. I literally only bought it for Xenoblade and SMT x FE .. someone let me know if there is a way I can play this game already ><
Only works if your console is on 5.3.2 FW. If you've already booted Xenoblade, it's already too late. You'll have to wait for Hykem.

OctopusRift

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Since when did they state that they were going to use the BR-ROM's circuitry or connection? It's easy enough to rout a small hole in the back of the console and put a USB cable through it to one of the rear slots. Else, the cleaner approach would be to solder in an internal USB connection from the same rear ports, and simply block the hijacked rear port with a dummy. There's no need to take over the BR-ROM's connection at all.
"thinking of replacing bd drive with 2.5" hard drive" From the first post. :/ Never said he was going to do what you said either. So... let's just let sleeping dogs lie. K? If he want's to do it, let him. I just don't think It'll go well.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"thinking of replacing bd drive with 2.5" hard drive" From the first post. :/ Never said he was going to do what you said either. So... let's just let sleeping dogs lie. K? If he want's to do it, let him. I just don't think It'll go well.
He kind of did.
I'm super interested if the wiiu will boot without bluray drive plugged in and removed. When iosu is out was thinking of replacing bd drive with 2.5" hard drive and install a powered usb hub in it's place hardwired to usb socket on motherboard :) 2tb storage :)
IIRC my Wii U would not boot without the optical drive plugged in. However, he could possibly still save space if he only connected the drive's mobo and discarding the rest of the mechanical parts (motors, laser, disc guides, etc.), thus making the Wii U think the drive is connected. With the powered hub he could re route the USB ports so that the HDD uses on and the 2 in the rear of the Wii U will keep their functionality.

My point is it is possible, just not very easy to do. The end product would be awesome, if he used some Bondo and paint to hide the drive slot. Throw in a casemod and a few LED's and you have a one-of a-kind piece of functional art. You should see what I've done to Xbox 360's.

Now to bring the topics together. I wonder if there would be a way to disable the optical drive check, so he could just remove the drive.

Last edited by hundshamer,

OctopusRift

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
He kind of did.

IIRC my Wii U would not boot without the optical drive plugged in. However, he could possibly still save space if he only connected the drive's mobo and discarding the rest of the mechanical parts (motors, laser, disc guides, etc.), thus making the Wii U think the drive is connected. With the powered hub he could re route the USB ports so that the HDD uses on and the 2 in the rear of the Wii U will keep their functionality.

My point is it is possible, just not very easy to do. The end product would be awesome, if he used some Bondo and paint to hide the drive slot. Throw in a casemod and a few LED's and you have a one-of a-kind piece of functional art. You should see what I've done to Xbox 360's.

Now to bring the topics together. I wonder if there would be a way to disable the optical drive check, so he could just remove the drive.
Ah jeez. Now I have hund against me? Jeez. Guess you're right. Blah. Aight. I'm gonna go. Misunderstood the question. :P

Reactions: hashcheck1

OpenSource

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been keeping up with developments like this, as well as the CEMU emulator, and I hope the creators of each of these things take into account the significance of getting something going that will be able to be used well into the future for archival purposes. This will be the last PowerPC based console, so it's essentially an "end of an era" - especially with Nintendo who has basically kept the same architecture with portability since 2001 release of the Gamecube. It's almost certain the NX will have limited portability, at best, using x86 architecture from 15+ years of their disc based catalog.

That being said, hopefully the creator "Hykem" takes this into account and takes time to make sure that this isn't something that can be patched immediately. Or better yet, just wait until Nintendo releases the next system update and work from there. It's essentially the Wii U's twilight days, so Nintendo won't bother with many more updates. It's more important to get something down for the future and let individuals have access to the system to run Linux, experiment with the Gamepad, and get information vital to backing up and restoring the library rather than the short-sighted few who just want exploits immediately to pirate, emulate, or back up games to a hard drive.

Hopefully Hykem takes this into consideration and takes his time on this. An open system and archiving libraries for the future is much, MUCH more important than placating the weak minded microwave society. My advice? Keep up the good work, but wait until E3 to make a decision on release, because then there will be a clear picture of how Nintendo plans to use the Wii U in the future and you'll have that time to adjust to them rather them adjusting their system updates to you.

Reactions: BurningDesire
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff