Naendow

Brick-Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey :)

I am thinking about modding my OLED Switch. The whole thing seems a bit more complicated to me and I am not sure what to get.

Which one is better, Hwfly or Picofly? I know that Hwfly is pretty good, but there don't seem to be significant disadvantages with Picofly.

Thegribbs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Eh. I'd rather have some kind of group buy than support the CPP.
There really aren't many components needed to make a Picofly board work. Even in quantities >100, it should be pretty economical.

Catnip_

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Eh. I'd rather have some kind of group buy than support the CPP.
There really aren't many components needed to make a Picofly board work. Even in quantities >100, it should be pretty economical.
True, but it think it could be worth it tho. From the pictures I've seen, they managed to keep the chip updatable with the "old" usb flex cable, so you don't need to resolder the usb socket. They also changed one cable... there won't be any need to solder the resistors which are a pain. We'll see when the product comes out with the final price.

Thegribbs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
True, but it think it could be worth it tho. From the pictures I've seen, they managed to keep the chip updatable with the "old" usb flex cable, so you don't need to resolder the usb socket. They also changed one cable... there won't be any need to solder the resistors which are a pain. We'll see when the product comes out with the final price.
I was referring to a community designed/sources picofly. The resistors and USB connection point would also be on that board.
There's already a GitHub with PicoFly PCB and flex cables files, ready to send to JLCPCB or similar. I'm considering having the boards made and reflowing my own components.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I was referring to a community designed/sources picofly. The resistors and USB connection point would also be on that board.
There's already a GitHub with PicoFly PCB and flex cables files, ready to send to JLCPCB or similar. I'm considering having the boards made and reflowing my own components.
And you think that would come at a cheaper price? Sure if you're just modding your own and just want to benefit your own community but for others good luck with that.

789-Benny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Remember the flex-pcb for the free designs the copper pour on layer 2, it is currently missing. You need add it in using EasyEDA and then submit otherwise will get email from jlcpcb about it

Reactions: Thegribbs

Thegribbs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And you think that would come at a cheaper price? Sure if you're just modding your own and just want to benefit your own community but for others good luck with that.
Doing this purely for myself is probably worth it. Maybe not for the flex, but definitely the PCB.
As is stands, I need to wait for at least two weeks for recieve boards from China. Electronics distributers can get me components in three business days.

789-Benny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing this purely for myself is probably worth it. Maybe not for the flex, but definitely the PCB.
As is stands, I need to wait for at least two weeks for recieve boards from China. Electronics distributers can get me components in three business days.
Use jlcpcb they ship really fast. Ordered my own pcbs based on rp2040 and they delivered from China to Europe in less than 5 days

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inti

Sthetix is using Instinct-NX mainly as its easer for traders to install

As for the quality the flex cable for the oled are crap and the Instinct chip itself is fast but has poor quality. the pads can very easily be shorted to ground due to the cheap design

Pico zero I would say has better quality but to fit the switch it's a hassle. I would say In the future all mods will be custom rp2040 boards with the costs cheap and glitch time the same hwfly won't be needed.

Why do traders use Instinct instead of HWFly if they are both the same price?

Sthetix mentioned that the pads can be shorted to ground, how do you avoid this? Does HWFLY have this problem?

Thegribbs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why do traders use Instinct instead of HWFly if they are both the same price?

Sthetix mentioned that the pads can be shorted to ground, how do you avoid this? Does HWFLY have this problem?
I've been using the black instinct chips and never had a problem shorting to ground. I can have a look under the microscope this arvo and see if any ground copper is exposed. It may have been fixed in the later boards.

falaschi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
GN guys, i need a little help. I'm doing hwfly to the switch of My kids. But i have bridged a mini capacitor, Will be the desoldering wick enough to fix My error? I was installing the Flex but i remove it entirely trying to leave the área clean to try to fix this. Thanks in advance ando sorry for My English.

Attachments

• IMG_20231017_235225_438.jpg
    IMG_20231017_235225_438.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231017_235215_555.jpg
    IMG_20231017_235215_555.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
GN guys, i need a little help. I'm doing hwfly to the switch of My kids. But i have bridged a mini capacitor, Will be the desoldering wick enough to fix My error? I was installing the Flex but i remove it entirely trying to leave the área clean to try to fix this. Thanks in advance ando sorry for My English.

A smaller solder iron tip should be all it takes to fix this

Reactions: falaschi

itooh

Trophies
XP
Country
Sudan
So today which chip is better? Reading through forums etc. they paint the picofly as the worst and the instinct v6 as "the best". What do you think? I have to install one and I really don't know which one to choose...

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
So today which chip is better? Reading through forums etc. they paint the picofly as the worst and the instinct v6 as "the best". What do you think? I have to install one and I really don't know which one to choose...

they perform the exact same task and they both work fine. pick the cheapest.

MrRobot88

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If one is using the zelda limited editon oled ofc which is better hwfly? I mean there are many versions i think v6 is latest do i get that? Or ? Ty
Post automatically merged:

If one is using the zelda limited editon oled ofc which is better hwfly? I mean there are many versions i think v6 is latest do i get that? Or ? Ty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1