Hurricane Harvey Causes Massive Floods in Houston

The latest hurricane in the south, Hurricane Harvey, has caused substantial flooding in Houston, Texas, with three currently dead and thousands who've lost there homes. So far, over 50 inches of rain has been reported, with more rain fall expected in the area.

Our own beloved reporter, @Chary, was unfortunately caught up in this disaster. We have heard from her, and she is physically fine, but she has unfortunately lost her house and possessions. We will have more information on this as we hear it.

All our thoughts and prayers of the Temp staff are with Chary and those other people caught in the disaster.

:arrow: Source

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wanna cry, guys. It makes me really happy to see such support, of everyone here. I'm gonna get some cup ramen that they made on the school stove, and hopefully sleep. Tomorrow will be rough, but I'm trying to be hopeful.
how can they just kick you out? ANYONE out?? thats fucking insane!

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope @Chary has insurance. :(
I rent, so the house is on the homeowner. My rental agreement however, was grandfathered. There is absolutely nowhere to live in a decent part of Houston for what I was paying. My car was insured, though, and seeing as it's like, nearly up to the hood, it makes me glad I shelled out that crazy amount a month just for this. Insurance for all my material possessions, though? Nope. :/

how can they just kick you out? ANYONE out?? thats fucking insane!
I was kinda baffled too, but it is a school, and oddly enough the school wasn't allowed (by that same lovely mayor) to be a shelter. It's only a temporary stay because the principal brought the keys. Though...I don't think anyone will be returning back to school for a whiiiiile.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I rent, so the house is on the homeowner. My rental agreement however, was grandfathered. There is absolutely nowhere to live in a decent part of Houston for what I was paying. My car was insured, though, and seeing as it's like, nearly up to the hood, it makes me glad I shelled out that crazy amount a month just for this. Insurance for all my material possessions, though? Nope. :/

I was kinda baffled too, but it is a school, and oddly enough the school wasn't allowed (by that same lovely mayor) to be a shelter. It's only a temporary stay because the principal brought the keys. Though...I don't think anyone will be returning back to school for a whiiiiile.
you had no insurrance?
ouch

My grandfather told to people who says "I dont have the money for insurance" "I dont have the money to not have insurrance"

D

Deleted User

You think to yourself, and you wonder, Houston is America's fourth largest city. Houston is a force in this country's economy. We have millions of people, importing exporting, we are the oil capital.

And it was all destroyed in one day. It's all gone. The town I grew up in? Devastated. The town where I went to middle school? 10 feet underwater. My university? Who even knows, last I heard it was having water get in the front door.

This should never have happened. Our mayor thought it would be good to disregard all advice, and not issue the evacuation notice. We were told to hoard water bottles and canned foods and ride it out. I've lived through Trop. Storm Allison, Hurricane Ike, the two big floods of 2015. None of them really affected Houston too badly.

I nearly died today. I don't really feel okay saying that. But I'm already typing, so what does it matter? My house was flooded with nearly 5ft of water, enough to get chest high, for me to have to swim and sit on a high table and pray things were gonna be okay. I called 911, the coast guard, my friends were looking into any avenue to get me to safety. No one came. I could have died in that house and the police wouldn't have cared. A guy in a boat came by, a neighbor from a few streets down. He'd lost his house, everything destroyed. But he took his boat out, and began rescuing people. I owe my life to this guy, I don't even know who he is.

I piled everything as high as it could go. I dunno what happened to the contents of my house. But all my furniture, my TV, a lot of my things are underwater now. Maybe my laptop is okay? It's all a crapshoot. Things from my childhood, things I love, everything is probably to be the next treasure of Atlantis.

I'm typing this from a rescue shelter. We have one night to sleep here, and then if you have a pet, you're gonna be kicked out. All roads are closed, there's no leaving. Can't get to a hotel, can't get to a friends house. Nothing. The city is totaled.

Why? The government certainly must have the funds to prevent such things. But instead, we had bayous that were 50% full, even before we had any rain. It seems so grossly incompetent.

Tomorrow, I'll be swimming through the remains of my house, to see what survived. The rain is packing in harder. Men and woman are sobbing at the losses they've suffered. I haven't slept in ages. I'm waiting on a cot from the church.

It sucks. Flat out. I'm devastated. Game collections I spent years on are likely gone. Comics and DVDs, figurines and toys, all gone. Before the boat came, I was trying to stack a Super Nintendo on top of a table on top of a chair. I don't even wanna know what happened to my gaming pc. Or my birth certificate.

But I'm alive. And that's what matters, right? I might have to move, or leave Texas entirely. I don't know yet, but for now, my family, my dog, and I am all alive. And I'm grateful to that. Thank you to all the well wishers, it means a lot. I'd feel a little embarrassed if I had the energy to do so, haha.
God this post hits so close to home. I don't know if it's right to cry over this internet post but i'm probably going to end up doing it anyways. I genuinely am sorry for you. I hope you get over this. All the GBATemp patreon money should go to you for the next few months. I'll keep you in my heart and prayers. Good luck Krista.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Staff are already discussing this, please don't follow this suggestion. Creating more work for the staff helps no one.
thats an answer, thanks for answering, now ill delete the post

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, I saw a news report earlier on TV and was thinking about chary earlier today and wondering if she was ok. Sucks that you lost everything, but ultimately I'm glad your safe. My heart and I'm sure many other tempers' own goes out to you.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about what happened in Houston and to chary, and to think I saw her previous status post and believed the hurricane was not going to be that dangerous. It sucks hearing about your possessions and important stuff being lost in the flood but at least you got found and no one got hurt.

D

Deleted User

@Chary wow. That really is awful. I have family in Friendswood, Texas, and they got hit really hard too. My aunt, Kelly Braden, had to evacuate her home with her 3 dogs, two children, and herself. She didn't have insurance and is just devastated. Not to mention the foundation on her house is shot so she won't even be returning to a house.

I'm glad to hear your OK. I don't know what I would've done if I heard you died. Probably not returned in all honesty.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What happened to people with houses with 2 stories? was their stuff fine upstairs?

In a lot of areas, probably yes. Though based on my google mapping around there are a pretty significant number of single story houses in really bad areas.
Even if the stuff is okay, the houses are basically condemned at that point. Which is a huge blow to a lot of residents.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum