Hacking HTPC + USB + Wii - Need some help

jheredia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have one big (1.5tb) hard drive. I'm currently using it connected to a HTPC, connected to a TV for movies/shows/music

I plan on partitioning it for the wii (probably FAT and use Configurable USB Loader). Is there a way I can have the same hard drive used for both the wii and the HTPC (without switching the wire every time)? Is there a way to for the wii to read games through the PC to the USB drive? Any other solution?

I know there is mplayer CE and geexbox, but they are obviously very early in development - no coverart, difficult browsing and controls. Any ideas guys? I'm willing to change around my setup if I need to.

Thanks!!

jheredia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right thats the plan. but how do i use the same external hard drive with the wii and pc, without having to switch the wire constantly?

jheredia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i obviously googled first. I came here since this is probably a common setup for a good amount of people and would be most able to help.

anyone?

jheredia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as an add-on to the all of the above questions: Is it possible to load games through a PC - maybe with a USB-USB wire?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
jheredia said:
as an add-on to the all of the above questions: Is it possible to load games through a PC - maybe with a USB-USB wire?
Jeez, ever heard of:
QUOTE said:
If you belive it or not, this little Button here holds all your answers you asked for. Click on it, enter some Keywords of your question(s), and let the magic happen. And the best of it: It's free, and won't make you look like a dumbass!
? This was answered several times already. USB-to-USB Wires are useless, do eventually even damage to the Device, and will NEVER work with the Wii via SoftMod.

If you want something like this, spend some money on FlatMii, or forget it.

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
jheredia said:
It's not possible.
There is no such thing as a usb-usb wire
smile.gif

There are usb-ethernet-usb wires which basically turns the usb to a network connection.
And there are a few actual usb-a - usb-a wires which can fry both connected usb ports and components.
more info:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248/1

You can try a usb-switch.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use 2 spare USB cables and a switch for 4 wires (because there are 4 wires in a USB cable). Solder them together so that you connect the pc with the drive on one setting and the Wii with the drive on the other setting. It's very simple if you soldered before and just costs maybe 3€.
Works great, I'm using it for my hdd connected to Xbox360 and Wii but with a switch with one setting more to power the drive down (as Wii and Xbox360 power the drive even when they are turned of).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?