HP TouchPad + Mouse Buttons Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Lucifer666, Dec 8, 2011.

Dec 8, 2011
  1. Lucifer666
    OP

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    I suffer of a severe case of OCD in which everything that enters my bedroom must be sterilised.

So I usually clean all my electronics with detergent. Just plain detergent and wait for it to completely dry before turning the electronic on.
    My brother gave me his used laptop and I was cleaning it, but the grease wouldn't come off. He suggested that a certain brand of detergent would be an excellent grease-cutter.

What he didn't tell me is that it turns into powder when it dries. Call me an idiot (but hey I didn't know), but now my laptop's keyboard is stuffed with white powder, and probably a lot of other parts are stuffed too. The touchpad and its buttons no longer work at all.

What I've done is popped off the rubber mouse buttons under the touch pad, only to reveal a massive amount of white powder which I've managed to dispose of completely. Now they're clicky like they used to be, only they still don't work.

The touchpad actually does work, but in a strange way. Moving the mouse around works perfectly fine (meaning it CAN sense touch), but tapping something to left-click it does not work. I thought it could've been a driver problem as well, so I reinstalled them all... still didn't work.

I thought maybe it could have been a virus, but I took my words back when even my laptop's BIOS didn't have the mouse working properly.

I am currently using an external optical mouse. Other than sending the laptop for repair (which I'll do quite soon), any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by Lucifer666, Jul 3, 2016
  2. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    That's what happens when your a clean freak.

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Don't be insensitive.

To OP: Try getting a can of compressed air and using it to remove any excess dust from around the touchpad and/or buttons. Make sure also that all connections are connected properly.

Also have a look around here, you might be able to find something useful: http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/HP_Laptop