Shubshub

The Shubinator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Im Looking into Making a Pokemon Rom hack of Pokemon White
and Im wondering How I can get started Map Hacking Pokemon White?

Am I Able to use a Hex Editor of some Kind? Because that might make it easier just hex editing Bytes to be different Objects and stuff
Or can I Like Export Map files as images and edit them Or something

The Hack Im Looking to Make is Called Pokemon WhiteSapphire
I Know how to edit the titlescreen (Sort of)

And Im now Looking into editing the maps?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there are no tools available to maphack any of the DS games.
hexediting also seems to be very much out of the question.

you can go and try to get in contact with Drayano, i think he once looked into those kind of hacks, however, i dont think this ever went beyond placing items on the map. and even that resulted in uncontrollable bugs

also just saying, editing by hexediting, if you plan to make a whole new world, you might as well start to write your game from scratch. it would probably easier to learn how to make your own game and tools than to edit those pokemon games

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
of course it would be possible, but its not easy. and by not easy, i mean barely possible at all.

there is a point, i'd guess that hexediting the whole world with all of its 1000000x1000000 tiles (and then some for all the indoormaps and such) would not be impossible, but just very much tedious and take probably two lifetimes for any single person. theres literally billions upon billions of hex changes to be done. and nothing guarantees you, that the first two or three changes wouldnt result in a broken game that for no good reason at all, simply doesnt load anymore

but then, you'd have to go ahead and edit npcs. and events. every trainer is an event in itself, as is every single door that leads you to another map, every transition between routes and city, every breakable boulder and every cuttable tree. its at that point, where two lifetimes become 100 lifetimes, as i believe theres hardly any if at all information on how to hexedit that stuff.

as i said, in the end, it may be easier to actually learn how to code and build your own homebrew game instead of trying this.

Shadowlurker

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are dead set at playing such a game on DS you could go the route Pokemon Phoenix Rising is going, Which is designing the game for the PC then attempting to port it to DS.. Although Development in that has currently hit a stand still, but they are confident it will happen eventually. So basically go and design it using RMXP first and when they have perfected the way of porting it you can do the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr