How well did I make this game?

How well did I do?

• Not bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could use a little improvement.

• Need's much improvement before it is ready.

• That's no game, it's rubbish!

• Total voters

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, tempers!

I remade a game that I had made as a kid using GML Visual. Kill Ship is a simple target-clicking game that was basically my "hello world". And I mean the original was simple as in no polish, MS paint, Sonic music, 640x480 simple. This remake, however, is far more polished and has non-copyright open music and actual visual effects in 1080p! The backgrounds (and sound) are mostly open source, but the other assets are original. It is a freeware game and is not for sale.

The game is loosely based on a character and locations from my cartoon, ¤Atarian Conquest.

How well did I do?

You can report bugs here, but at this point, unless it breaks the game, they are more like glitches and thus part of the game. It is pretty stable as far as I am aware.

Download Link: AKHP.exe (standalone executable)

Source code: AKHP.gmx.rar (WinRAR archive)

Link to old original game at Yoyo Games: AKSP

Here is a short but sweet manual:
KILL SHIP HD
(AKHP)

Developed by ¤AtarsoFt

©2008-2024 Duke City Media

Plot
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eairta's drones were spotted approaching the Solar System. Destroy
the drones before they near Earth and take the fight back to Eartia's
planet, Atar!

How to play
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on the ship to damage it and earn points. Watch out for spikes!

Tips:

Double Hit: When the drone is heading straight into a wall, position
cursor and click on it before it hits the wall, and again right after the
drone bounces off for a quick double hit!

Jammed!: When a drone passes between a block and a wall, it
may bounce rapidly between them, becoming 'stuck' for a second.
Use this precious second to deal a deceive blow!

DO NOT use a laptop's trackpad! Use a physical mouse or touchscreen!

To-Do:
  • Move from GM1 Visual to GM2 GML. Basically, like porting to another architecture.
  • Add a score counter
  • Add an "exit game" option.
  • Maybe saves, but the whole game is like 10 minutes long stoned.

There is a physics easter egg in the game somewhere. See if you can find it!

Trivia:
  • The planets that appear in the opening sequence are called "Planet Atar" and its satellite "World Sfendi"
  • The antagonist, Empress Eartia, the teenaged alien empress of the Atarian Empire, got her name because she was born in refuge in Farâfra, Egypt, Earth. It means "dirt girl". She does not yet know where she was actually born.
  • In Atarian Conquest, Eartia is the main protagonist, in contrast with the game.
  • Since you are chasing Eartia's drones back to Atar, Martian Vista was supposed to be the first stage but was moved late in development because it was deemed more difficult than the first two stages by the testers, where you are flying through a purple nebula.
  • My dev tag, ¤AtarsoFt, was obviously named after Planet Atar.
  • "Atar" also means "dirt" in the Curbanian language, just like "earth". Any resemblance to the name of a certain other game developer is purely coincidental. I know this will come up!
  • The final boss is Eartia aboard a Brinny-class CLAWShip, probably ACS Staglev.
  • This same CLAWShip also makes an appearance at the beginning of the game, wherein it flies past the AtarsoFt logo.
  • The alien seen at the end of the game is neither Eartia nor the player but is a rebel that you freed from Eartia's empire.
  • The alien is an Atarian, a species called a savanna scypher, Murcausian photoscypher, or plains scypher (Photoscyphicus murcural).
  • Whereas the original Kill Ship game was locked at 30 frames per second, the HD remake runs at 60 fps.

Last edited by kehkou,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So far it's a nice game, a interesting idea. I only seems a little unfair the ship changing direction at the mouse pointer approach, but well is part of the fun.

The graphics are beautiful and the overall appearance is nice.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far it's a nice game, a interesting idea. I only seems a little unfair the ship changing direction at the mouse pointer approach, but well is part of the fun.

The graphics are beautiful and the overall appearance is nice.
Thanks! The ship actually changes to a random direction (sometimes the same direction) once per second. Glad to know that that is enough to fake AI though lol
no, there's project files that game maker can save that contain all of a game's assets and source code, and there's actually compiling the game, unity and unreal do this as well but they don't make it a single file
Correct! The code is in a single file, but the assets are external. It does compile exe files, like unity, but can also compile apk/xapk or files for current-gen consoles...uhh..like unity.

Last edited by kehkou,
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.