How User Friendly Is DSTWO?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Simsoy, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Simsoy
    OP

Simsoy Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    I'm thinking I'm going to have to upgrade my cheap flashcard once Pokemon X & Y comes out, so I was wondering on if I should buy a DSTwo once I do. So I wanted to ask a few questions.

How easy is it to update? Is it one file, extract and be done with it? Do I have to install any upgrades before I update my firmware, or do I just manually do both at the same time?

How well does the GBA and TempGBA emu work? What about other emulators that I might want to use?

Where is the best place to order one? I can't seem to find a shop button on their site.

Sorry for being a total newbie on this!

2. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

For one, you won't be able to play X and Y on the 3DS.

Second, it's really easy to update. You place the update.DAT file into the root of the SD, and then grab a console and run the update. Most times, if you buy a DSTwo right now it comes working out the box.

The GBA and TempGBA emulators work really. Only a small handful of games like Golden Sun have issues. The best place to order would be up to you. Pick a reseller that you are interested in, do a bit of research, and purchase. For resellers there's no one size fits all reseller. It depends on the circumstances that the end user is placed in.

3. Simsoy
    OP

Simsoy Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States

I wouldn't be able to play X & Y? Haha, I mean't that I'd be having that as an actual cartridge, I don't expect this to be a 3DS flashcard. I have a 3DS, so that's what I'd be playing X & Y on.

4. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Haha, I seem to have read it the other way. :P I just wanted to make sure, as sometimes, newcomers DO make those assumptions. -_-

Nebuleon likes this.
  5. user64

user64 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    Canada
    DSTWO is totally user friendly!* The plugin menu is easy to figure out, and the lightning fast firmware updates are drag and drop to install.

For emulators, tempGBA is very good. It runs many games at full speed, look at http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/TempGBA_Compatibility for a general gist of how well it works. Golden Sun works fairly well, by the way. Doom and such still lag it up, just play DSdoom, though.

CATSFC is a little slow, but the compatibility and accuracy is very good. If you want to play things like SMW romhacks or Chrono Trigger (I suppose you could play the ds remake), then you're good. However, games that require an additional chip (ex. superFX) will run rather slowly. Super Mario RPG isn't unplayable... but the speed could be a little better. I suggest if a game has a GBA remake you play it on tempGBA, instead.

I haven't tried DS2x86, the DOS emulator, but I've heard good things about it. Compatibility list: http://dsx86compatibility.pbworks.com/w/page/26738915/Compatibility List

If you manage to intall linux, there's a PS emulator that can be used. It runs from 6-30 fps, depending on the game.

Other emulators can be used with any old flashcart (i.e. gameyob, nesDS), so you probably already know how they work.

*Unless you try to install linux

Nebuleon likes this.