Tutorial  Updated

How to use LayeredFS for Backup Loading + What Games Work/Don't

This thread is outdated
A lot of information in this thread is heavilly out of date.
If you have time, and have Staff permission, feel free to edit this thread and remove this statement once necessary.

Some information that needs to be addressed:
  • SX OS and Atmosphere now supports proper LayeredFS, instructions for using it has changed since this tutorial was made
  • Supported Firmware information is out of date
  • LFSKit needs to be updated to properly support non 5.x.x firmware
  • Compatability chart needs to be re-made
-PRAGMA

WARNING
  • DO NOT GO ONLINE WHEN DOING THIS (YOU WILL BE BANNED)

How to use LayeredFS for Backup Loading

Firmware Supported: ONLY 5.x.x
Use the PRAGMA LFS Kit below.

PRAGMA's LFS Kit

DOWNLOAD
SOURCE

• Go from NOTHING in your SD Card to playing a game backup in a few clicks!
  • Decrypt .XCI -> romfs/exefs folder with main.nmpd auto edited aswell as folder's name auto renamed to donor titleid
  • Download NOTHING except LFSKit!
ENJOY!

yyTJ8rr.gif

Picking a Donor Title and getting Donor TitleIDRunning Game Backups!

1. A donor title is the application we will run to open the backup.
      Pick a game you don't care about (Download a Demo or a free game from eShop, for example Octopath Demo)
      saves are something no one knows much about, we don't fully know where or how they are stored.
      They might overwrite the donor titles save, so seriously pick a game you DONT care about, not a game you rarely play.

2. I also recommend picking a donor title/game combo that has been tested and reported working just so you know if YOU did something wrong or not.
    3. Find the TitleID of the donor title you chose from http://nswdb.com or http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list/Games
      Region must be the same, choose the TitleID for the base-game NOT for the update title, even if your updated.

1. Once again, boot into Hekate-IPL (Step 1).
    2. Enter "Launch firmware" and select "RomFS".
    3. Your now in your system's home menu.
    4. Open the Donor Title you set the TitleID of on that folder and .npmd file earlier.
    5. The game will load up flawlessly.
      If you opened the Title lets say, Fortnite, and Fortnite booted, the titleid of the folder in sd:/atmosphere/titles/{fortnitetitleid} doesnt exist, or doesnt start with 0100.
      If it gives you an error screen, either you didnt edit the main.npmd properly, or its an incompatible title/donor combo.
    To see which games work and which dont using which donor titles, look below.
    If you notice that you used a combination of Game and Donor title that isnt in the list below, post in the thread and I will add it. (look under to see what I need to add to chart).

Troubleshooting

• Black Screen/Infinitely Loading
    Leave it for around 5 minutes then press the home button and go back into the game without closing it. Often this can do the job.
  • Freeze when Loading
    Close the game and try again, its a common occurence, you may have to try up to 4-5 times before getting it to work, sometimes you may even have to reboot between retries.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

Leozairus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the better way to see titles 100% without fail is DEV MENU... very easy and you can take pictures or whatever... install all games and make your own list

damiano2712

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I put the paperclip in, connected with the cable, clicked on "smash biskeydump" and nothing happened and now my Switch won't even turn on. What do I do?
Edit: Now it boots up but the process still doesn't work.

Last edited by damiano2712,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, we can't be 100% sure layeredfs caused the ban, I've been using it since the method was first used and I haven't been banned.
Many users have been banned for using LBL, SX OS, or both. If you have not been banned yet, that doesn't mean you are safe. If anything, Nintendo is probably going through a list, a very long one at that.

doofdilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I don't care if I get banned anyway. Only one missing out is Nintendo, they're the one that's stopping me from spending money on the eshop.

Also, anyone know how to decrypt xci files with a logo partition? Minecraft has one, so I just extracted the largest nca with xci explorer and decrypted that.

But I can't get it to boot with anything and I want to make sure I've extracted all the right files.

This all looks right.

35bc354553b619c011489f1897adfe0a.png

7a7adbec1abddbf6a79b55ff63f9d265.png

lol why acestream changing so many default program options...

Maybe i don't need the cert or tik?

The files should be in exefs except romfs.bin

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will not help you guys any but I just found out if i un-link my nintendo account from my switch i can still install game updates without a problem with out an account on there (will help out switch sx os people that don't care if there system gets banned) (as you you guys you can make a fake account though.)

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
This will not help you guys any but I just found out if i un-link my nintendo account from my switch i can still install game updates without a problem with out an account on there (will help out switch sx os people that don't care if there system gets banned) (as you you guys you can make a fake account though.)

Updates being free to download anyway I don't think Nintendo has put in place measures to prevent their access. However things might get complicated if one tries to download something (game or dlc) off their server through unofficial channels (CDN)

Reactions: leerpsp

Dudamax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im trying to extract skyrim with the xci decrypter and it dosent work, was anyone succesful extracting big games?

I keep getting error in section 0 when it tries to extract the romfs.bin

And then i get an unhandled exception "Could not find a part of the path (blah blah) exefs\main.npdm" please help

The game that still works with the decrypter is Splatoon 2 and that's because I extracted it from BBB rar file. The other games were trimmed XCI is that why I get the error? Can someone confirm this?

Last edited by Dudamax,

Mikuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Im trying to extract skyrim with the xci decrypter and it dosent work, was anyone succesful extracting big games?

I keep getting error in section 0 when it tries to extract the romfs.bin

And then i get an unhandled exception "Could not find a part of the path (blah blah) exefs\main.npdm" please help

The game that still works with the decrypter is Splatoon 2 and that's because I extracted it from BBB rar file. The other games were trimmed XCI is that why I get the error? Can someone confirm this?
Did it fine with Decrypt-XCI-v2.1 and got 14,2 gb of romfs.bin. But mostly something weird happened with other decryptors - game was 5-8 gb only and sometimes with error in section 0. Sometimes it was less then 14,2 gb even with Decrypt-XCI-v2.1. Dunno what caused that, i was using my laptop to decrypt and 0% of tries succed with Skyrim, but once i got into my PC it went well from first try. Have no idea what happened and why

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer