Hacking How to upgrade CFW/OS

Ziefer846

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't really touched my switch for the past several months. I've got it updated to 6.2 running ReiNX on sysnand. I'd like to update to the latest hackable firmware. Also, is there a better OS out there than ReiNX? Thanks.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Atmosphere is the best CFW, unless you desperately need XCI/USB/EmuNAND (which are only on SX OS as of now).
You can update via choidujourNX to 7.0.1. If you want to keep using ReiNX, just download their latest package and copy & paste & replace.
If you want to use atmo, you can follow one of these.
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/ (you are gonna need sigpatches with this guide).
https://guide.teamatlasnx.com/

teege

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I've been behind the scene for a while now. Is it recommended to update from 4.1 to 7.0.1? What are the benefits? I'm sure you can't play online still correct? Thanks.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I've been behind the scene for a while now. Is it recommended to update from 4.1 to 7.0.1? What are the benefits? I'm sure you can't play online still correct? Thanks.
While CFW perfectly supports 7.X, there are a few minor issues with certain homebrew applications on that firmware. One example is Tinfoil being unable to install .NSP files from the SD card on that firmware although its worth mentioning that installing via USB and network work fine even on 7.X with Tinfoil.

Also you can always play online as long as you're not banned ;)

Reactions: teege and Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play newer games, you're going to have to update eventually. See the posts above mine for details.

Reactions: teege and Draxzelex

teege

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a ban workaround? Or just luck? My niece want's to play Splatoon 2 online, so I'm trying to be the cool uncle an whatnot. Thanks!

teege

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody's sassy. Alright. There have been workarounds on other consoles before, so that is a legitimate question. But I get the drill, I've got 2 PS4's for that purpose, so I get it. I was just curious. Thanks regardless.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody's sassy. Alright. There have been workarounds on other consoles before, so that is a legitimate question. But I get the drill, I've got 2 PS4's for that purpose, so I get it. I was just curious. Thanks regardless.
My response was for both. If you do lookup Switch unban on the Internet, you will find posts and videos about people swapping one certificate from a Nintendo Switch unto another effectively unbanning the first unit. But for this to work, you would need a second console which defeats the purpose of the method in the first place. So I was covering both the legitimate response and for anything you would find afterwards.

teege

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it's likely to get banned quickly, and I'd have to buy a new CID, more or less, if that were the case. Got it. I had to buy a new CID for my PS3 when that happened. Not that I'll end up doing it with the Switch.

Ziefer846

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While CFW perfectly supports 7.X, there are a few minor issues with certain homebrew applications on that firmware. One example is Tinfoil being unable to install .NSP files from the SD card on that firmware although its worth mentioning that installing via USB and network work fine even on 7.X with Tinfoil.

Also you can always play online as long as you're not banned ;)
Yikes. Wasn't aware that sd card tinfoil install is broken on 7.x. Any workarounds other than usb and network install? Maybe a different NSP installer?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes. Wasn't aware that sd card tinfoil install is broken on 7.x. Any workarounds other than usb and network install? Maybe a different NSP installer?
The following title installers work:
  • Goldleaf V0.5 (and above when they are released hopefully)
  • DevMenu 6.X
  • Lithium
  • blawar's version of tinfoil

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi