• Total voters

IOEUREHW786hIH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have download a NDS game and unzip it with DS Lazy, so I have many .bin files. Now I want to unzip this files (in this files are the music and the map of the game)
Can anybody help how to unzip .bin files?

Best Regards
Tzpi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bin is an extension used by thousands of unrelated formats throughout computing, and is used as a generic extension for many programmers when they are making a file and just need a placeholder.

If you told us the game name we might be able to help further -- sometimes the files with .bin are more known formats and someone might have looked at the game before. Without that though there is little I can do other than say learn ROM hacking. I have a thread at the top, I don't know what German resources are out there right now but https://board.romhackersworld.eu/bo...te=1000&filterByStatus=&pageNo=0&languageID=1 might get you started.

IOEUREHW786hIH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
bin is an extension used by thousands of unrelated formats throughout computing, and is used as a generic extension for many programmers when they are making a file and just need a placeholder.

If you told us the game name we might be able to help further -- sometimes the files with .bin are more known formats and someone might have looked at the game before. Without that though there is little I can do other than say learn ROM hacking. I have a thread at the top, I don't know what German resources are out there right now but https://board.romhackersworld.eu/bo...te=1000&filterByStatus=&pageNo=0&languageID=1 might get you started.
It´s the game Mario Party DS (I want to edit the world and make a custom world)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think this is one of those well hacked games but I have been surprised in the past, and Mario games are one of the more prominent ones for it.

At times like these a video of the game in question tends to help.

What an abysmal let's play. Gave me what I needed though.

The world/board was a 3d model. It reminded me then somewhat of New Super Mario Brothers which came out a year earlier (and I would not be in the least bit surprised to find they recycled a bunch of code and models).

However while that game is 3d I recall editing one of the level selection models (the little pads you go to in the selection are models and really simple so I picked one to make the maths easy to follow along with) for my guide I mentioned earlier and it might not be like Mario Kart where the entire track is a 3d model. To that end it could be done with a more conventional level layout and generated at the end, or it might be a full model so who knows.

Step one for me is figure out what squares are what there. I might also look at NSMB's level editing options to see if they have something for a custom route through a world as again code reuse so you might get something similar. Once you know you can try changing it so one of the squares/loops is something else (I don't know if they are random each game) or maybe in a slightly different location. From there you can try either adding ones in or altering many at once. From there you can try tackling the models and the full layout. It is not a terribly easy hack to learn with but not impossible either.

I don't know how the game is arranged and can't check right now. If it is not thousands of files in one directory I would start by looking at names, sizes and directory names to either find what you want or eliminate what you don't (if there is a file called sound_data.sdat or something it will be the sound and not the levels).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?