Hacking [How To] Transfer system data from original 3DS to Gateway 3DS

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I lost all my save data from my eshop pokemon y. Any idea why? I backed up my original 3ds files before transferring

The save files are stored on the SD card (As you already know)
And they are tied to the system data. So if you backed up the entire "Nintendo 3DS" folder from your SD card before starting, everything should be safe.
Once you've done the transfer, you just have to put the "Nintendo 3DS" folder back on the SD card of the 3DS you transferred to.
I had all my save files for my eshop games after the process.

Tikkito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The save files are stored on the SD card (As you already know)
And they are tied to the system data. So if you backed up the entire "Nintendo 3DS" folder from your SD card before starting, everything should be safe.
Once you've done the transfer, you just have to put the "Nintendo 3DS" folder back on the SD card of the 3DS you transferred to.
I had all my save files for my eshop games after the process.

I did that and still my eshop pokemon y is asking for a new game. Do you think it is because of the new save encryption not being compatible with gateway?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did that and still my eshop pokemon y is asking for a new game. Do you think it is because of the new save encryption not being compatible with gateway?

Oh now I know why. I just read recently, that the game has firmware 6.0.0 stored on it. If the save was created on a 3DS with firmware 6.0+, you will not be able to use that save on Gateway since this is a 4.5 3DS (Even if Emunand is 8.1).
Pokemon is one of the only games I've heard of with 6.0 FW.

You can't even use Pokemon Y in Classic mode, to play from the cartridge.
Good thing the 3DS now enables you to transfer as much times as you want. Just have to wait 7 days between each transfer, so if you want to transfer back, you can.

Tikkito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh now I know why. I just read recently, that the game has firmware 6.0.0 stored on it. If the save was created on a 3DS with firmware 6.0+, you will not be able to use that save on Gateway since this is a 4.5 3DS (Even if Emunand is 8.1).
Pokemon is one of the only games I've heard of with 6.0 FW.

You can't even use Pokemon Y in Classic mode, to play from the cartridge.
Good thing the 3DS now enables you to transfer as much times as you want. Just have to wait 7 days between each transfer, so if you want to transfer back, you can.

If I transfer back it will delete everything on my gateway 3ds right? So what should I back up on that to not lose anything like save data etc.?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I transfer back it will delete everything on my gateway 3ds right? So what should I back up on that to not lose anything like save data etc.?

I believe it will only delete the emunand and make it like a new 3DS again.
Considering that your copy of Pokemon Y is physical, you can still use it on your other 6.0+ 3DS fine. But if you were using pokebank, then I'd see the need to transfer.
The things you need to backup, to be safe, is everything on your SD card. But for Gateway specific files, you need the .sav files, and launcher.dat.
I'm not sure if this process deletes everything on the SD card or not, it might go untouched. so I'd suggest backing up everything to your computer to be safe.
Let me know how it goes.

jayetyler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried doing this and my gateway console is telling me

"The region information set on this system has been changed. Please connect to Nintendo eshop and try again. If Nintendo eshop is not available in your region, you will not be able to perform a a transfer."

i guess i should go into eshop and change regions? i'm not sure how that would matter...

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried doing this and my gateway console is telling me

"The region information set on this system has been changed. Please connect to Nintendo eshop and try again. If Nintendo eshop is not available in your region, you will not be able to perform a a transfer."

i guess i should go into eshop and change regions? i'm not sure how that would matter...

That is beyond me. It's as if you're using an imported 3DS from another country. The process is straight forward, this shouldn't happen on a console from your region. You may not be able to access Eshop from a different region, but you can try going to eshop to change the region if possible. Just be sure to only access eshop on emunand. It's forbidden to enter it from sysnand or classic mode.

jayetyler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is beyond me. It's as if you're using an imported 3DS from another country. The process is straight forward, this shouldn't happen on a console from your region. You may not be able to access Eshop from a different region, but you can try going to eshop to change the region if possible. Just be sure to only access eshop on emunand. It's forbidden to enter it from sysnand or classic mode.

i went into eshop and changed it : P the console was a used north american one and i think the owner just picked the first country that came up when they dl'ed stuff from the eshop

and the transfer worked great! thanks for the tutorial!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i went into eshop and changed it : P the console was a used north american one and i think the owner just picked the first country that came up when they dl'ed stuff from the eshop

and the transfer worked great! thanks for the tutorial!

Welp, I was totally wrong then xD
I'm glad you fixed the problem, I had no idea you can change the region on eshop like that.
Enjoy your new Gateway/main 3DS in one! Just know that to use your cartridge games, you'd need to boot into classic mode (Involves having the Gateway card in before-hand, and holding L to boot into the Gateway menu). It's a bit of work, if you decide not to backup your own games and put it on your gateway card instead. Though some saves don't work (The 124 KB save files for example)
Sorry for the rambling, if you run into a problem from this transfer, if there's any side effects, let me know.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to comment that I recently performed a system transfer from a 9.20U OFW to a 9.20U GW unit and the procedure still works fine. One note is I have both MT and GW and tried to do the transfer first with MT 2.2 launcher and it went into system transfer and then hung before allowing me to choose type (3ds or dsi) used GW 2.6 launcher and it worked fine.

Also I am wondering.......has anyone tried to do a GW to OFW transfer after installing .cia files to the GW unit? Is it possible to transfer installed games to a non-hacked unit? I may get around to trying this but just sold my OFW 3DS so only have two CFW units now. That would be awesome if it worked.

Inserio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a question somewhat related to what was mentioned above. I currently have a 3DS XL with 9.4U firmware and am considering buying a New 3DS LL (yes, that's correct, a Japan edition) to get and use a Gateway card.

When I went into my settings to try to change the region, I don't have the option to change it to Japan, nor do I even have the option to change it to Japanese language. If I do try to do it this way, according to the information above, will I be unable to system transfer? Am I stuck trying to find a US version of the New 3DS XL?

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

im one of the "newbies" I have a 3ds xl running 9.2 and i will be getting the new 3ds xl next month when it comes out. My issue is i want to be able to use the gateway card on the new 3ds (hopefully the firmware that will come with it, will be compatible) but want to transfer all my eshop games and embassodor games, streetpass puzzles and mii settings to the new 3ds. Can you guys help me out with what is the best way to accomplish this? according to the nintendo website, during the system transfer, it will force both 3ds systems (the n3ds and the 3ds xl) to update firmware to the latest ( dont want this obvioulsy, want to be able to use gateway 3ds) i have not purchased the gateway yet(soldout) so it will be a new experince for me as well when i receive it.

so.. in short, i will have 1 3ds xl running 9.2, the new 3ds --firmware unconfirmed--, and 1 gateway 3ds card,

any help on how to transfer all my data to the new 3ds without loosing any thing would be greatly appreciate it.

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need to set up EmuNAND on your original 3DS, update the EmuNAND to 9.4 (or whatever's current at the time), then do the same on the N3DS, then do a EmuNAND to EmuNAND system transfer as I detailed here. Obviously as the Gateway exploit is not out yet for the N3DS I can't confirm that the same steps will work and I won't be able to since my N3DS is not the same region as my XL. So at your own risk.

Reactions: MattKimura

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need to set up EmuNAND on your original 3DS, update the EmuNAND to 9.4 (or whatever's current at the time), then do the same on the N3DS, then do a EmuNAND to EmuNAND system transfer as I detailed here. Obviously as the Gateway exploit is not out yet for the N3DS I can't confirm that the same steps will work and I won't be able to since my N3DS is not the same region as my XL. So at your own risk.

hi, thanks for your reply. what i would like to accomplish is to have all my data transfer from my old 3ds to my new 3ds sysnan and not emunand but yet keep the firmware on my new 3ds at a level that i can still use the gateway card on the new 3ds.

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, thanks for your reply. what i would like to accomplish is to have all my data transfer from my old 3ds to my new 3ds sysnan and not emunand but yet keep the firmware on my new 3ds at a level that i can still use the gateway card on the new 3ds.

Sorry, that's not possible. To do a system transfer both systems need to be the same region and at the latest firmware. The only time this would be possible is if the latest firmware were ever Gateway compatible, then you could transfer to SysNAND and keep the GW exploit. Right now to transfer to SysNAND you have to update past Gateway's compatible firmwares. So your options are to either transfer into EmuNAND or lose Gateway compatibility.

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, that's not possible. To do a system transfer both systems need to be the same region and at the latest firmware. The only time this would be possible is if the latest firmware were ever Gateway compatible, then you could transfer to SysNAND and keep the GW exploit. Right now to transfer to SysNAND you have to update past Gateway's compatible firmwares. So your options are to either transfer into EmuNAND or lose Gateway compatibility.

ok, thanks, do you think its possible for me to back up my sysnan to the gateway in case i change my mind and want to revert back to the previus firmware on my older or newer 3ds? when and if i back up the my sysnand with the gatway, will it back up everything including eshop games and save data?

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you back up your SysNAND and then upgrade to 9.4 or eventually higher on a system, you will have no way to restore that backup.

If you back up any NAND and then do a system transfer, restoring that NAND (emu or sys) will make your eshop games on the SD card "legal" again, but your NNID will no longer be linked to that console, so as soon as you enter the eShop after restoring that backup it will realize you shouldn't have those and revoke the license.

And lastly, a NAND backup (emu or sys) can only be restored to the same console it was made from.

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you back up your SysNAND and then upgrade to 9.4 or eventually higher on a system, you will have no way to restore that backup.

If you back up any NAND and then do a system transfer, restoring that NAND (emu or sys) will make your eshop games on the SD card "legal" again, but your NNID will no longer be linked to that console, so as soon as you enter the eShop after restoring that backup it will realize you shouldn't have those and revoke the license.

And lastly, a NAND backup (emu or sys) can only be restored to the same console it was made from.

Ok thanks.. One last thing..do you actually have to have a Internet connection when launching the exploit from the browser.. Example.. I'm on a plane and want to launch the gateway.. There is no internet on my flight.. Will I be able to launch the browser exploit ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks