How to tin a Wire?

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help on how to tin a wire. Before I thought you put the solder on the iron, put down the solder, pick up the wire, and then scrap the solder on the wire. I hear now that you're supposed to apply the soldering iron and solder to the wire at the same time. My question is: How do I hold the wire up? I only have two hands...

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Its been a while since I soldered but I presume you hold both the wire and the solder in one hand and the soldering iron in the other.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting technique he has there , put a blob on , let it go cold and manky then whack it with the iron till it's gone
blink.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. You really do have to touch them all together at once. That "smoke" is the flux, which makes the solder flow nicely onto the wire. However, in that video, the flux has all burnt away by the time it touches the wire, leaving a lumpy mess. If a wire is properly tinned, it will be as smooth as it was before.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
If your solder is on a reel, unreel a bit, sit the reel on your work surface so the solder is sticking out. Touch the wire on the solder with your weaker hand, then touch the iron on both with your dominant hand.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Elisa_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Get some tweasers, (whatever you call em,) grab the wire, then put some solder on your iron, and tin the nail (or whatever you use) and put the wire on after that.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanas said:
What's shown in the video is the correct way to do it.
He first shows you how not to do it, he then shows the correct way.
Sorta, what's shown is not great. The video alone gives you no idea how to do it.
The spoken instructions are quite good though. Follow the words and you'll be ok. The last bit of the video would have been OK if there wasn't so much solder on everything.

Don't follow this video though, it's just wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_bn9xkqbo

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nin10doFan said:
So I need something to hold up my wires? Looks like I'm just doing quicksolder...
yeah you need them tip out in the air somehow. If they are short leads then maybe just a weight on the edge of a bench to hold them down with the tip hanging free.
If you plan to do any amount of soldering it really pays to have the "helping hands" tool. I have one with a magnifying lens on it.

This youtube video is a better demo (though not close up) of what to do. Just ignore the joining bit and watch his technique.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nin10doFan said:
Cool. So once I have it tinned, and say I have a Wasabi chip, would I just put the wire then on one of the points? Or do I still have apply my iron to it?
Just noticed this.. Are you planing on installing a Wasabi?
If you have so little soldering experience as to not know how to tin a wire (first thing I learnt in soldering) then it would be just about impossible to install a wasabi in my opinion. The wasabi leads need to be soldered directly to some pretty tiny IC legs on the Wii, this is a little tricky for most experienced solderers. It would be very easy to stuff up without experience doing similar work. Not just practice, but experience of doing the same sort of work over and over.

Don't want to put you off but I'm sure if you look around you'll find many soldering disaster stories. My advice would be to find someone who can do it for you and if possible check other work they've done before you let them near it.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
I use my teeth for most things ... stripping wires, holding things, whatever ... done it for decades
smile.gif
Maybe you have but your own teeth for holding short leads that are to be tinned with a scalding hot pointy iron, for someone without either proper knowledge or experience in soldering... I'd use your teeth to practice with maybe if I was in that situation, but not my teeth.
No offence to you, just thinking of my pretty face
unsure.gif

**edit**
Actually that just sounds crazy, how would you see the end of the wire? And what about the lead fumes straight up the snoz!
blink.gif

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hehe I've held high-voltage cable with my teeth, whilst my hands where busy ...

... as for my pretty face, well, I used to box, and I've survived a major fire, so I ain't sweatin' over mah looks lol

EDIT : Plus, I never said which item I was holding in my mouth ... you just assumed it was the wire ...
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.