Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

rouge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried updating to 6.20, but got an error saying that I'm already on version 9.90 (which didn't make sense), so I googled it and found the answer.
wasn't much of a problem, all I had to do is change some writings is a txt file.
then I applied the hack and everything worked just fine (including PSN).
Thanks a lot for your help :]

Psyren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I ran the first section of the guide and have been trying to install 6.60 Temp but every time I try to load the PSP and install the new firmware it says that it's corrupted data. Is this just telling me that I can't run 6.60 and will have to install 6.20 Perm instead? (I'm currently back on 5.00 OFW as per the guide installation)

Any help you can provide will be great, thank you in advance!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like you have the Update in the wrong place.

X:\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\eboot.pbp

where everything bar X: and eboot.pbp are folder names (PSP is a folder name not the root).

Psyren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, it seems that the update went fine, one or two corrupted data boxes will appear after I do the reboot with the temp firmware but that seems alright. The issue that I've been running into is that I can read .cso or the eboot files for psx games just fine (as opposed to what I thought was going on earlier) but now iso files don't show up on my PSP. (I put those files as requested in the ISO folder on my PSP). Since I've upgraded to 6.60 Temp, will I need to move those files over to the PSP/GAME/ folder to get them to show up or should I leave them in the ISO root folder instead?

As always, thank you for any assistance you can provide to my situation!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Just don't use 6.60. Neuron's firmwares are always a touch too experimental for my taste....try PRO firmware for a more rounded and complete experience.

Abdn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello.

I am new to the PSP scene and just wanna clearify some things before i go modding my PSP.
I have been reading alot but i cant really get a grip on the scene.
There seems to be a nomerous different mods out there. And i know it all depends on what PSP model you have.

Mine is a PSP 2004 that was delivered with OFW 3.5 ( or something like that ) but i had to upgrade to 6.0 to be able to play the game i bought.

But there should not be a problem to mod this model right?
But then i can find alot of different soloutions out there:

6.2 permanent

6.60 temp

6.60 temp PRO?

6.39 PRO

and so on.

So i wonder what hack you recommend.
It needs to be "children-friendly" as my son is the one who is going to play it. I dont wanna have to mod the games i may find on internet
tongue.gif
And i want all games to work. Thats why i have suspisions against 6.20, does all games work on it? Even the new ones.

The guide here is great, but it is up to date?

Hoping to get some great advices. Cheers!

Ps. Sorry about my bad english, its my second language ( baerly ),

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
Abdn said:
Mine is a PSP 2004 that was delivered with OFW 3.5 ( or something like that ) but i had to upgrade to 6.0 to be able to play the game i bought.

But there should not be a problem to mod this model right?I'm not sure how to tell if your 2000 is the fully hack-able one (I don't have a 2000, I think you can use PSPident) but as of this time every model and kernel of the PSP can be hacked. The main difference will fully hack-able ones is you can flash "temporary" firmware to them permanently. I'm sure there's some information out there regarding these details.

Abdn said:

6.2 permanent

6.60 temp

6.60 temp PRO?

6.39 PRO

and so on.

It needs to be "children-friendly" as my son is the one who is going to play it. I dont wanna have to mod the games i may find on internet
tongue.gif
And i want all games to work. Thats why i have suspisions against 6.20, does all games work on it? Even the new ones.For ease of use, PRO is fine and stable. And then it depends on how good the children can follow instructions. If your 2000 is fully hack-able, you could just go for 6.60 "temp" and flash it permanently. If you opt for your CFW to be temporary, the kid(s) will only have to run the FastRecovery application every time the PSP is booted from a true power off, and not sleep mode, to see the ISOs in the ISO folder. On a side note, your CFW remains if you just use sleep on the PSP.

You could, also, just go the simple route and downgrade (or upgrade if your version is below) to 6.20, and install 6.20 PRO, and its permanent bootloader. That way the extra step of running FastRecovery is taken away. All recent games run on it without the need for patching. Probably 99% I'm not really sure, but so far no game refused to work for me, I'm also on 6.20 PRO.

QUOTE(Abdn @ Sep 13 2011, 02:40 PM)
Rydian's guide on how to hack your PSP is up to date, he updated it when PRO released B9 and their 6.60 compatible CFW.

Abdn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zygie said:
Abdn said:

But there should not be a problem to mod this model right?I'm not sure how to tell if your 2000 is the fully hack-able one (I don't have a 2000, I think you can use PSPident) but as of this time every model and kernel of the PSP can be hacked. The main difference will fully hack-able ones is you can flash "temporary" firmware to them permanently. I'm sure there's some information out there regarding these details.

Abdn said:

6.2 permanent

6.60 temp

6.60 temp PRO?

6.39 PRO

and so on.

tongue.gif
And i want all games to work. Thats why i have suspisions against 6.20, does all games work on it? Even the new ones.For ease of use, PRO is fine and stable. And then it depends on how good the children can follow instructions. If your 2000 is fully hack-able, you could just go for 6.60 "temp" and flash it permanently. If you opt for your CFW to be temporary, the kid(s) will only have to run the FastRecovery application every time the PSP is booted from a true power off, and not sleep mode, to see the ISOs in the ISO folder. On a side note, your CFW remains if you just use sleep on the PSP.

You could, also, just go the simple route and downgrade (or upgrade if your version is below) to 6.20, and install 6.20 PRO, and its permanent bootloader. That way the extra step of running FastRecovery is taken away. All recent games run on it without the need for patching. Probably 99% I'm not really sure, but so far no game refused to work for me, I'm also on 6.20 PRO.

QUOTE(Abdn @ Sep 13 2011, 02:40 PM)
Rydian's guide on how to hack your PSP is up to date, he updated it when PRO released B9 and their 6.60 compatible CFW.

Thanks for a quick answer. I will look into what model my PSP is ( fully hackable or not ) when i get my memory stick. Guess i cant do anything until i got it.

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
In any case, I'd recommend 6.20 PRO as a permanent solution that's children friendly, easy to install, no fuss with cIPL flashers and etc.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On 5.something Prome-4

Should I upgrade to 6.20 or just stay where I am? Not seeing any new games I'm crazy about, unless God Eater Burst requires 6.20.

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have no problems with your current cfw, then it's really up to you. I've never used a pre-6.20 cfw so I have no idea about patching and all that stuff. If it doesn't really bother you, you don't have to upgrade. You could read up on the details of the later cfws using xist's tutorial if you're really curious.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? But sometimes something new and shiny is nice too.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I suggest the new 6.x firmwares because you get new features, such as native PSN access, a memory stick speedup option, and the new 6.x features like the comic book reader. If you don't care about any of the new stuff there's no real reason to update though... but 5.x will have a little trouble with new games that use new types of DRM.

Since yours came with a firmware less than 6.20, you can use the 6.20 PRO permanent version, which will work on your model (regardless of the 2000 motherboard since this uses a newer patching method than the 5.x hacks used). I suggest it being permanent since it'll boot into hacked mode by default (hold Select while starting to go to original firmware), which is easier for kids.

Abdn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
I suggest the new 6.x firmwares because you get new features, such as native PSN access, a memory stick speedup option, and the new 6.x features like the comic book reader. If you don't care about any of the new stuff there's no real reason to update though... but 5.x will have a little trouble with new games that use new types of DRM.

Since yours came with a firmware less than 6.20, you can use the 6.20 PRO permanent version, which will work on your model (regardless of the 2000 motherboard since this uses a newer patching method than the 5.x hacks used). I suggest it being permanent since it'll boot into hacked mode by default (hold Select while starting to go to original firmware), which is easier for kids.

Yeah. I have read alot and I am going to go for 6.20 permanent.

Still one question though. Will USA versions work or do i need to stay on the EUR versions? When i modded my Wii back in the days there was a risk when playing games that was made for USA region.

Edit*

Thanks alot for your help !
biggrin.gif
Cheers

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Region is irrelevant except possibly for multiplayer servers and legit DLC.

madeirabhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
sorry if i am being thick. i want to soft mod my colleague's two daughters psp 3004 s. both are on 6.31. i have no idea what they started on. i ran module checker and that says 4g. the faq says anything below 5g can be permanently modded but is that just talking about the motherboard, is it possible that they are this motherboard but came with a later version than 6.20?

also i see people on the first page saying about using 6.35 instead of 6.2 but i can't see any mention of this in the guide.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If it's a 04G then it came with 6.20 or earlier and the permanent patch should work (it has a test mode anyways).

6.20, 6.35, 6.39, and 6.60 are all firmware versions that PRO works with.

The thing is 6.20 is the one that's permanent on all models it works on, whereas none of the others are, and in that case you might as well go for the one with the highest base firmware, which is why the guide ignores 6.35 and 6.39 to focus on 6.60 (there's not that much of a difference anyways).

jaysc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did something stupid i downgraded from 5.50 to 5.00 and now i can't update to 6.2 due to an error (DRNFFFFFF7), so i'm stuck on 5.00 ofw. Any ideas on what i can do? Or would i need a pandora's battery.
My PSP is a 1000.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E