How to run homebrew on your Nintendo Switch

Two days ago, I posted a link to a guide on how to run homebrew on your Switch with an included starter pack. The response was incredible, 2000+ views on the repo in 2 days. So I figured I'd rework it into a nicer format. I recieved a pull request to add macOS & Linux support, and figured I'd add Chrome OS & Android support. So, here's a link to the new and improved guide: https://t3chnolog1c.github.io/SwitchGuide/

T3CHNOLOG1C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

morrison22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide is looking great! Thank you!

I would like to add a suggestion for the part where you state the following:

"A microSD card 2GB or larger, formatted to either FAT32, or exFAT (only if your switch has the exFAT support "update")"

My suggestion is to add a link to instructions on how to safely apply the exFAT support "update" while retaining the current firmware version that the switch is on? I think a lot of people want to be able to use exFAT due to the file size restriction of FAT32, but they also do not want to update to the most recent firmware.

Last edited by morrison22,

T3CHNOLOG1C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide is looking great! Thank you!

I would like to add a suggestion for the part where you state the following:

"A microSD card 2GB or larger, formatted to either FAT32, or exFAT (only if your switch has the exFAT support "update")"

My suggestion is to add a link to instructions on how to safely apply the exFAT support "update" while retaining the current firmware version that the switch is on? I think a lot of people want to be able to use exFAT due to the file size restriction of FAT32, but they also do not want to update to the most recent firmware.
I'll add it at some point tonight.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've added NX-Shell to the starter pack, will update switch_sdl_pong and add the instructions to add exfat support tonight.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see in your instructions you mentioned an SD card with exFAT or FAT32 support, but it seems the Homebrew Menu cannot find any files or access the memory card when it's formatted in exFAT. I've seen multiple people claim that exFAT is not supported for HB Menu including my own testing. Have you verified this yourself?

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I see in your instructions you mentioned an SD card with exFAT or FAT32 support, but it seems the Homebrew Menu cannot find any files or access the memory card when it's formatted in exFAT. I've seen multiple people claim that exFAT is not supported for HB Menu including my own testing. Have you verified this yourself?
I use hb menu and my sd card is exfat

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you, this gives me renewed hope to get mine working. Did you format the card with the Switch, a computer, or did it come pre-formatted as exFAT?
Computer, at first i was not able to use exFAT sience i didn't have the driver on the switch, the sdxc update, but whit a guide i installed it and it works like a charm. do you have it installed? im using hekate to use hb menu.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Computer, at first i was not able to use exFAT sience i didn't have the driver on the switch, the sdxc update, but whit a guide i installed it and it works like a charm. do you have it installed? im using hekate to use hb menu.
I have the official exFAT update. I used Hekate. My HB Menu worked fine when I was using FAT32, but then a reformatted it to exFAT and copied my files back over, now HB menu sees nothing at all. What system version are you on? I'm on 4.1.0.

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have the official exFAT update. I used Hekate. My HB Menu worked fine when I was using FAT32, but then a reformatted it to exFAT and copied my files back over, now HB menu sees nothing at all. What system version are you on? I'm on 4.1.0.
Maybe the sd card is bad formated, did you try to format it whit the offical sd card formatter? have you tried whit a fresh new install of the hb menu?
Edit: my version is in my signature: 4.1.0 too

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the sd card is bad formated, did you try to format it whit the offical sd card formatter? have you tried whit a fresh new install of the hb menu?
Edit: my version is in my signature: 4.1.0 too
I formatted it with the Switch itself, but I can try using other tools and check it out.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried whit a fresh install of hb menu and the last version of hekate?
Yep, grabbed all the files from the tutorial in this post. I may just need to go back to FAT32. I'm not the only one with this issue though, there are some in the ReSwitched Discord that also cannot use exFAT.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried whit a fresh install of hb menu and the last version of hekate?
It was macOS. Apparently folders or files copied or created from macOS to exFAT are different somehow. I copied all the files over from Windows and it works perfectly fine. Glad I got it figured out, now I can dump all my carts.

Reactions: Red1Reaper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==