How To Replace NAND Chip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by KakTheInfected, Oct 8, 2009.

Oct 8, 2009
  1. KakTheInfected
    OP

Newcomer KakTheInfected Member

United States
    Hey guys, not sure if this is possible but how can I swap out the NAND chip (or whatever you would call it) in the Wii? The one in my Wii seemed pretty buggy since the day I bought it (the system took very long to load some channels on occasion or would fail to load them at all until after several restarts) and a few months ago it started getting much, much worse so I decided to install BootMii and make a backup of my NAND. I successfully made a backup but after BootMii was installed and I restarted the system, it wouldn't boot anymore. The disk drive doesn't make any noise/won't accept discs and the sensor bar doesn't even get power (tested it by connecting Wiimote to PC).

Anyway, Wii Fit Plus comes out and I finally want to use my Wii again but obviously can't. I think the only thing wrong with the Wii is the NAND chip itself and was wondering if it's possible to flash a new chip with my NAND backup and replace it with the old one in the Wii? It's pretty obvious my Wii has been modded so I'd rather try this before sending it to Nintendo.

Thanks in advance.

2. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Sorry, but if you ask "how to" you should never solder the NAND. [​IMG]

The NAND chip is a TSOP48 and you need a very good solder skill to replace the NAND.
    [​IMG]
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=173226&st=90
    ^^ There you can find all you need to flash a NAND with an infectus.

Btw, i think your NAND chip is not the problem.

Please also answer this:
    Bootmii was installed as boot2 or IOS?
    Does Wii startup bootmii?
    If yes you can try to convert another dump with betwiin.
    Otherwise you must use a NAND programmer, to do this check the link above.

...?

3. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    If its still in warranty update to 4.2x and send it back. Simples!

4. KakTheInfected
    OP

United States
    I'm fairly decent at soldering these days, I just never bothered to look into where the NAND is actually located in the Wii or what chip would be needed to replace it. Besides, I'm going to have to end up paying about full price to replace this Wii anyway if I can't fix it, so it's worth giving it a shot even if I mess up.

BootMii is installed to boot2 but nothing boots when the Wii starts, SD card or not. In other words, it's completely inaccessible. For this reason, I'm pretty sure the NAND is dead since BootMii was installed successfully and does not work and because the system was having very bad problems loading channels (Wii Fit Channel, Internet Channel etc) right before it died.

5. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Have u tried savemiifrii?

6. KakTheInfected
    OP

United States
    Yup, no go [​IMG]

7. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Ring N up and say 4.2 update fried it. If the NAND has gone they wont attempt to replace it and I doubt they will try and revive replace it, so homebrew wont be traceable. You will probably get a re-con or new unit. It's too much hassle for them any other way. What do you have to lose?

8. KakTheInfected
    OP

United States
    I've had my Wii opened up so many times that it's very obvious it's been modded. Telling them 4.2 fried it wouldn't go over very well [​IMG]

9. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Trust me, my mate changed his case and then changed it back. It had a modhcip installed and removed and it had more homebrew than a redneck. They replaced his with a new one after HE fucked it up!

The question is worth asking, whats the worst that could happen? 4.2 has been frying Wii's and they've been replacing them no questions asked. Its all a matter of them proving it DIDN'T fry your system. Having your wii opened at that point is irrelevant

10. KakTheInfected
    OP

United States
    Honestly, it's SO obviously been tampered with that I don't think they would replace it for free, regardless of whether or not 4.2 would have actually killed it or not. I haven't kept track of all the screws so I'm missing quite a few and the chip on the DVD drive has a couple of marks on it from me soldering wires to it. In any case, I just feel like it would be a lot of wasted time if I were to send it in.

11. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    not necessarily if its in warranty send it in, or at least call them and talk to someone, say you have a child who likes to use screwdrivers, they may be able to help...off topic, but does anyone know how long a warranty is good for? i'm assuming a year and i'll probably find the answer before someone gives it to me...
    but yeah at least contact nintendo to find out, its worth a shot