Hardware how to remove nail polish stain from nintendo switch?

boring1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
recently, i bought a protective case for my switch. i was wearing nail polish, but while i was attaching it to the joycon, some of it got on the paint of the switch.

any idea on how to remove it? i want to know how to remove it without damaging the color

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Step 1.
Do not use nail polish remover
The acetone that might well be in it (not all will have acetone in but many will, and even if they don't I can't be sure it won't react) does tend to react badly with one of the plastics in the Switch case. We have had a few incidents over the years of this one.

Beyond that I would have to see what happened. I suspect it is going to be a tedious mechanical solution but you might get lucky.

Taelor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I accidentally dropped my nail polish remover a little nail remover stain got on my switch what do I do

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I accidentally dropped my nail polish remover a little nail remover stain got on my switch what do I do
You got pics of the damage?

You might be able to scratch it off a little with some fine grit sand paper and reveal new color underneath? Anything subtractive will leave scratch lines so test somewhere small and inconspicuous.

Maybe get some of the magic markers used for repairing scuffed furniture? They come in a lot of colors. Again, test somewhere discrete. Anything additive is going to stick out like a sore thumb though.

Could also buy new shells for whatever it got on?

Could also use this as an excuse to buy a new cover?

I’m thinking you might just accept it as a life scar and learn to live with it. It adds character? Yeah…that’s the ticket. Character!

Taelor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What colour is that nail polish? From the picture attached it looks like when you wiped it off it damaged the logo.

If it is actually nail polish and not the logo smudging then you can try and dilute your acetone-based nail polish remover to make it work slower and give you time to wipe it away before it does damage. Just use a q-tip with the diluted solution and carefully try to remove it. Make sure you immediately wipe it off as if it stays on too long it can do more damage than help.

Otherwise, it might be easier to cover it up with some vinyl or something.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like this

That ain’t gonna buff out!

it’s kinda got a GhostRider flames thing going on…

The good part is the back shell is the easiest and cheapest one to replace. Less than 10 screws to undo, pull the plastic off the back, and reverse the order and put everything back.

The non-fix-it recommendation would be to order a cool case for about $10 off Amazon. Most of them are slip on.

or like I said…deal with the scars. Chicks dig scars.

EDIT:
$12 for a direct replacement.
$10 for a cover.

Last edited by binkinator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill