Hacking How to put Savedatafiler on homescreen?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The program works like this:

When you "dump" or decrypt a save of a game, it puts it in this folder (and creates it if necessary):

SD(root):/filer/UserSaveData/

Here, everytime you dump a save, a new folder is created and its name is the date it was dumped.

For example: 20140911110300. It shows the year, month, day, hour, minute and apparently the last two digits are the number of save decrypted by the program, so the next save you dump will end with 01.

Inside this folder, there will be 3 files and yet another folder. You must NOT modify anything here, since as I can understand, these files contain the information about the encryption of the save, this is why we can manipulate .3ds and .3dz saves without problem (and also reencrypt them to a rom of a different region).

Inside this other folder (which name is based on the unique ID of the game), you will find a file OR files, depending of the game, which will contain the information of the save data of said game. In the case of Pokemon, it is only a file called "main", while for Animal Crossing, 4 different files are created (exhibition.dat, friend1.dat, garden.dat, mail1.dat), every file containing different information of the same save data.

Now, to simply change the encryption of the save, to convert it from .3ds to .3dz or from one region to another. You just let it create a new save with the desired format, dump the new save and change the contents inside of the folder named after the unique ID of the game, leaving the other files intact (since there is the information of the encryption). Import the save and listo, the conversion must be successful doing this.

On the other hand, to edit a save is more complicated since you must not only find the part you want to modify, you also have to fix some checksums. If you don't, the save will show as corrupted :/

Reactions: descac and cearp

Alessandro98

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I succeeded in converting savedatafiler to .cia using the .bat file, but how do I convert PlayCoinSetter? Can I use the regular process from Queno138?

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would really like to see a detailed guide on how to use this app. I tried doing as Kyogre described to convert my Bravely Default save to become online-enabled, but it did not work at all.

Also, is there any way to use this with a retail cart? If I boot into GW mode, the retail cart is not detected. If I boot into Classic Mode, SaveDataFiler doesn't load at all.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I would really like to see a detailed guide on how to use this app. I tried doing as Kyogre described to convert my Bravely Default save to become online-enabled, but it did not work at all.

Also, is there any way to use this with a retail cart? If I boot into GW mode, the retail cart is not detected. If I boot into Classic Mode, SaveDataFiler doesn't load at all.
i *think* you could actually use SDF with a retail cart if you go through the bother of setting up the 4.x CFW and running sd from there.....which *should* allow you to extract the saves from your retail carts, then if you convert your game to cia or card2 you could import the dumped save back into your rom.....this would mean you can use your cart saves that are 128kb on a rom unlike the gateway save dumper

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
you talk about 3ds and 3dz, so this DOES work with gateway saves? (i mean, not only card 2 games?
even though animal crossing is card 2...
if not, any ideas how we could get this to work with card 1 saves?

GW would have to update their launcher for it. As described before by gamesquest1, the reason CARD2 games work with SDF is because their saves are "loaded" along with the rom; on the other hand, CARD1 saves are only loaded when the game is booted, so GW needs to tweak their firmware to force this same function for CARD1 games. Anyways, they will offer an alternative for SDF in their next launcher according to what they have been saying (hopefully, an even more friendly solution.)

Reactions: cearp

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried as workaround to impregnate a card 2 game with my save including header and rest details to extract it, failed ;)

Well one thing is still open that i didn't try, decrypt game and rebuild it anew as card 2 cci forced via rsf, might fail, but it's a try worth.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW would have to update their launcher for it. As described before by gamesquest1, the reason CARD2 games work with SDF is because their saves are "loaded" along with the rom; on the other hand, CARD1 saves are only loaded when the game is booted, so GW needs to tweak their firmware to force this same function for CARD1 games. Anyways, they will offer an alternative for SDF in their next launcher according to what they have been saying (hopefully, an even more friendly solution.)
Considering the way that they spun the CFW features as something they just happened to finish when PalantineCFW started to gain momentum, my money is leaning more towards the save tweak you described instead of a full-blown SDF alternative. It seems like the easier course of action, as most people have already figured out how to repack and install the SDKTools. The only way that I could see them coming out with their own app is if they were somehow able to whitelist it for use in Classic Mode.

Jonytestxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I followed the tutorial from first page and save data. Cia works fine but I tried with play coin setter it install but after 3ds screen appear and error with black screen and push me to turn off the console any idea?

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was going to work on switching my Fantasy Life save from .3DS compatibility to .3DZ by exporting it and replacing the files etc. etc. I exported with save filer, changed the rom to .3dz and added a header. I loaded the game up so I could make a new save to export when to my suprise, it let me load my save data from when it was a .3DS. Totally didn't expect that haha.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I was going to work on switching my Fantasy Life save from .3DS compatibility to .3DZ by exporting it and replacing the files etc. etc. I exported with save filer, changed the rom to .3dz and added a header. I loaded the game up so I could make a new save to export when to my suprise, it let me load my save data from when it was a .3DS. Totally didn't expect that haha.

That sound very nice. What about the opposite? Change .3DZ save to .3DS save.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have been doing the following for a while to change .3ds save to .3dz save without succes

Setup:
SD card: Savedatafiler.3ds (changed .csu to .3ds)
MicroSD card: Animal Crossing New Leaf.3ds, Animal Crossing New Leaf.3dz

Start Gateway mode, press select to choose Savedatafiler.3ds.
Open Savedatafiler and trying to find the Animal Crossing New Leaf saves to dump.
Nothing found, i did export the saves 0000864(Animal Crossing New Leaf) from the tab extdata to the SD card.
But these are just additional saves for the spotpass, not the actual save of the game.

I have this on the lower screeen:

User
CTR Card -- broken --
00518 -- broken --
and more things broken

Can someone point out what i am doing wrong?

darky2003

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Belgium
when i try the last ste:
makerom -f cia -rsf savedatafiler.rsf -target t -o savedatafiler.cia -icon exefs\icon.bin -banner exefs\banner.bin -code exefs\code.bin -exheader exheader.bin

i get message that the exe is not compatible with my windows version (win7 -32bit)
Could someone plzzz pm me the modified file?

clienthax

Trophies
XP
Country
when i try the last ste:
makerom -f cia -rsf savedatafiler.rsf -target t -o savedatafiler.cia -icon exefs\icon.bin -banner exefs\banner.bin -code exefs\code.bin -exheader exheader.bin

i get message that the exe is not compatible with my windows version (win7 -32bit)
Could someone plzzz pm me the modified file?
http://uppit.com/v2gfj8c5l9my/makerom.zip
and for the love of god update to 64 bit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @SylverReZ, RC Pro AM was made by Rare, and that explains why I liked it. Just learned the other day about a game I loved that was made by Rare and I was surprised lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was actually in the scouts for 1 week, til they assigned me homework, n I was like f this, and quit, I was like 10 yrs old. And no I didn't join the girl Scouts.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders