PS1/2 How to play PS2 DVD9 backuped games?

webyugioh

OP
Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
Hello again all,
I wish to know how to play DVD9 (Duel-Layered) games, specifically God of War 2.

If a ps2 with a modbo v4 supports DVD+R DL disks, then I guess I could just burn it to one of those.
But the only type of disk I know works are DVD-Rs, and I don't want to waste a DVD+R DL.

But what i really want to do is find some way to break them up into 2 DVD5s.
But I don't know if that is possible.

Thanks for the help,
webyugioh

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ummmmmmmmmm use DUAL LAYER DVD DISKS!

simple as that
smile.gif

rip using IMG BURN read in ISO mode .... and then burn in ISO mode at 2x using good media something like RITEK G05 dye based media or other ..cheap and cheerful usually are just that CHEAP!

note if you look around theres a DVD 5 version floating around with the video files reduced in resolution to make it fit a normal DVD 5/4.7GB DISK
wink.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since you said you have a modchip that can read dual layer disc. Use the Toxic Dual Layer Patcher to patch the DVD9 image and burn onto a dual layer disc.

If you have an older model ps2, you can try using a hard drive and HDLoader, which allows you to play DVD9 games.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Since you said you have a modchip that can read dual layer disc. Use the Toxic Dual Layer Patcher to patch the DVD9 image and burn onto a dual layer disc.

If you have an older model ps2, you can try using a hard drive and HDLoader, which allows you to play DVD9 games.
HD Loader doesnt allow you to play DVD9 games
the game will just crash once you try to boot it

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Jiggah said:

HD Loader doesnt allow you to play DVD9 games
the game will just crash once you try to boot it

Well I can confirm that it does boot dvd9 on the newest version v0.8c. It well at least BOOT Xenosaga 1, which comes in at almost 6 gigs just fine, not sure if it'll play all the way through, but the compatibility lists shows that it'll play fine.

Don't get HDAdvance, which is based off a really really old version of HDLoader, confused with the free HDLoader.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you sure it wasnt a hacked DVD5 iso?

because I tried with all different DVD9, (GoW I&II, MGS2S, GT4) and none worked after copying using HDL v0.8c

webyugioh

OP
Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
Thank you all for all the help.
I have a slim ps2 so the HD loader won't work.
Also, what is that Toxic Dual Layer Patcher, do i have to use it on the DVD9 image?
I've already done as most have said,
and ripped original with dvd descriptor.
I just wanted to make sure that my modchip would support DVD+R DL Disk, or if i would have to get a DVD-R DL (thought i've never heard of them).

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup, 6 gigs means it's a dvd9. You might have prepatched Toxic versions of the games, which might break the dvd9 detection. I can't remember correctly, but if you're ripping the games using the ps2 then it might create an error since it won't be able to detect the second layer. You're suppose to rip using something like imgburn that autodetects the second layer, or using a program like apache 3 to be able to extract both layer and then combine them into a single layer before transferring over to the ps2.

I think the program HD_Dumb can automatically extract the dvd9 and transfer it over to the ps2.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
webyugioh said:
Thank you all for all the help.
I have a slim ps2 so the HD loader won't work.
Also, what is that Toxic Dual Layer Patcher, do i have to use it on the DVD9 image?
I've already done as most have said,
and ripped original with dvd descriptor.
I just wanted to make sure that my modchip would support DVD+R DL Disk, or if i would have to get a DVD-R DL (thought i've never heard of them).

I was reading about your modchip. It said that you shouldn't need to patch it with Toxic since the chip will autopatch for you, make sure you enable dvd9 support on the chip. What you might need to do when you burn the game though is to set the booktype to dvd-rom when burning for better compatibility. The Toxic patcher is basically what the chip is suppose to do, but you're doing it manually, it's just a precaution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1