How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I figured, just making sure. I doubt that's the problem as well because I can't even load the iso in the first place due to it giving the SD card error
If when you say you updated GX you just went to the latest release version (v3.0 which is r1180) then it's still too old. USB loading for GameCube wasn't even possible yet when that was released. What you need is the latest beta version (r1211 which is quite stable, don't worry) which you can get here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?323p2it1218o4wg

Genyus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If when you say you updated GX you just went to the latest release version (v3.0 which is r1180) then it's still too old. USB loading for GameCube wasn't even possible yet when that was released. What you need is the latest beta version (r1211 which is quite stable, don't worry) which you can get here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?323p2it1218o4wg
I see, my bad then. I figured downloading the latest release would suffice but apparently it didn't. It works now though so cheers and thanks for your patience. :)

ryujose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I update from DIOSMIOS_2.6.wad to DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad?

Should I just delete 2.6 from my SD and replace it with 2.8, then install it normally with wad manager?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
How do I update from DIOSMIOS_2.6.wad to DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad?

Should I just delete 2.6 from my SD and replace it with 2.8, then install it normally with wad manager?
Just install it normally. No deletion needed.

Also, 2.9 was just released. You might want to go grab that one first.

Reactions: ryujose

klouud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SUPER HUGE NOOB QUESTION:

Followed the tutorial
DIOS MIOS 2.9
WiiFlow 4.1.1
Nintendo Wii Black Edition with New Super Mario Bros Wii and no GC inputs

I can load GameCube games - but I can't do anything once they get to the main title screen
Even tho I don't have GC inputs, can I still play GC games?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
SUPER HUGE NOOB QUESTION:

Followed the tutorial
DIOS MIOS 2.9
WiiFlow 4.1.1
Nintendo Wii Black Edition with New Super Mario Bros Wii and no GC inputs

I can load GameCube games - but I can't do anything once they get to the main title screen
Even tho I don't have GC inputs, can I still play GC games?
nope.

Slyghtful

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, I've been out of the homebrew scene way to long for me too have missed this gem. Since when have we been able to play gamecube games via USB without spending $100+?

mreese14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sorry ik some1 else has already asked this question but im still having trouble. whenever i try and load my game windwaker backup it says "fatal error apploader size is zero". wat do i do

ryujose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just install it normally. No deletion needed.

Also, 2.9 was just released. You might want to go grab that one first.

So i tried to intall the 2.9 wad, but syscheck says i still have v2.6.1+. Also, in the credits section of USB Loader GX, on the top left corner it says i have 2.6.1+.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So i tried to intall the 2.9 wad, but syscheck says i still have v2.6.1+. Also, in the credits section of USB Loader GX, on the top left corner it says i have 2.6.1+.
The plus sign there at the end (the "+") means "or higher" It just means that you have something NEWER than 2.6 (which you do.)

Reactions: ryujose

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried to load DIOS_MIOS 2.8 via MMM 13.4.
It says "It did not complete".

My wii is IOS248 r65535
USBloader 69d
Base: IOS?? DI: 57 mload v1.0

I'll try DIOS_MIOS 2.9.
Any other ideas ?

Update: I tried "Load another IOS" and selected 236 before attempting wad installation and that worked.
Maybe that should go in the first post for newbies like me.

Gun Slinger Boy

White Knight of the internet
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blogdudesvariousreviews.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
So, got this to install on my black vertical GameCube supported Wii. I use Power Puff Girls: Relish Rampage as the boot disc and a Staples Relay Micro 4GB USB 2.0 flash drive as storage. Loads up Resident Evil 2 and 3 fine, but only if I set video to "Default" and not "NTSC 480p" (NTSC Wii and TV BTW), otherwise I've got sound but no picture.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

What icon with Tools on it !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, did you pour your own milk?