How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Is there a substitute for DiscEx That works on Mac?
The simplest way in ANY operating system is to just rename the file to "game.iso", put it in a folder, and put that folder inside the /games folder on your Wii. The only benefit you won't get that you would if you ran it through DiscEX is that DiscEX might be able to make the game.iso file a little bit smaller than it originally was.

AndresDaniel

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Heeey guys I've been reading this stuff all week long since my brother told me i could play gc in his wii, so.
I followed all the steps right, but sometimes the controller stops working, like.. Sometimes it doesn't work. like.
When i start playing mario kart dd, at the beggining it doesn't work.
then. back to a childhood game, ScoobyDoo 100 frights shit i couldn't do when I was younger, it gets stuck in the first picture in which it says the developing credits.
And I can't get any further. I'm so pissed off and I can't play.
I wonder if it happens to other games since I'm downloading a couple of them.
Can someone help me out?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Heeey guys I've been reading this stuff all week long since my brother told me i could play gc in his wii, so.
I followed all the steps right, but sometimes the controller stops working, like.. Sometimes it doesn't work. like.
When i start playing mario kart dd, at the beggining it doesn't work.
then. back to a childhood game, ScoobyDoo 100 frights shit i couldn't do when I was younger, it gets stuck in the first picture in which it says the developing credits.
And I can't get any further. I'm so pissed off and I can't play.
I wonder if it happens to other games since I'm downloading a couple of them.
Can someone help me out?
That happens when you have never played a gamecube game from the disk channel in the system menu at least once. people with the problem have also reported that only luigi's mansion would work for them so you'll have to play one the normal way. if you do that with a normal retail disk (even if you have to borrow it) you can do it with Dios Mios as long as there's some USB drive connected. If you're wii is old enough to be able to read DVD-R disks you can install a cMIOS (get one from ModMii) which will replace DiosMios but once you've played your first game that way DiosMios(lite) should work with a control any game.

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
I am here to report that I just installed DIOS MIOS(Lite) v2.6 using the guide on the OP and it works flawlessly. Only tried Luigi's Mansion & Pokemon Colosseum. No issues.

Edit: Actually after tinkering around.. I can't get Pokemon Colosseum(NTSC-U) to work after "The Pokemon Company" logo, just gives me a black screen afterwards. Any idea/suggestions?

KatieOoT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Every game works great except when trying to load Sims 2 it freezes when loading game-play. Anybody know how to fix this? I checked the compatibility list and it should be working. I've tried to run it through GX and WiiFlow and I get the same problem every time. I ran it on Dolphin on my computer, though, and it worked great.

Help? (:

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Every game works great except when trying to load Sims 2 it freezes when loading game-play. Anybody know how to fix this? I checked the compatibility list and it should be working. I've tried to run it through GX and WiiFlow and I get the same problem every time. I ran it on Dolphin on my computer, though, and it worked great.

Help? (:
Is it a full sized ISO, in GCReEx format or did you run it through DiscEX?
What settings do you have turned on?

I'd recommend as a test to turn all the settings off and just name the full sized original ISO image to "game.iso" and put it in a folder and put that inside the "games" folder on your Wii and see if that works. That's usually the most compatible way.

KatieOoT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I'd recommend as a test to turn all the settings off and just name the full sized original ISO image to "game.iso" and put it in a folder and put that inside the "games" folder on your Wii and see if that works. That's usually the most compatible way.

I ran it through DiscEX.
Does it matter what the folder is called? (The folder I put 'game.iso' in.)

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country

I am going to try this with Pokemon Colosseum and Paper Mario 1KYear Door(it freezes whenever I switch to "Party" tab in menu)

Dump

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so far it's still freezing, but I didn't try the settings thing. On USB Loader GX there's a few different settings things? :P

not sure if u need it for dios mios but i know u need game ids for wii games
all of my gamecube games have their ids on the folder i renamed all mine so its set up like this
x:/games/Super Smash Bros. Melee [GALE01]/game.iso

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country

I know the reply within this quote was not directed to me but.
I did it three ways:
1. Ran DiscEX w/ the .iso (black screen after "The Pokemon Company"
2. Same as 1 but went to the game settings and turned OFF all possible settings. No dice.
3. Just simply dragged the RAW .iso to the games folder and no dice either.

I am running out of ideas here.... And I know the game works. I have runned it by Dolphin. gets past the black screen of death. Don't know what I shall do. Maybe my 16GB flashdrive can't handle it? Would DML work if I loaded the game from my 32GB SDHC class10 card?

Edit: Nope.. it told me to run it off a USB Device lol... Now I really am out of ideas.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, as far as running if off of a SD card it shouldn't change anything but if you wanted to do that you would need to change from DiosMios to DiosMiosLite.

Anyway, I'm kinda running out of ideas here, too. I don't actually have this game myself either but I, too, see it as working on the compatibility lists and remember back when they made the fix to make it work in the first place.

To make ABSOLUTELY sure it's not a bad rip, I'd say to compare the hashes with redump.org. Dolphin just kinda glazes over the code to get an idea of what it's doing and so can ignore/skip over some errors that won't be missed on a real machine. You could also TRY the GCReEx format and see if it helps anything I don't think it applies to these particular games but there are some games it works better for.

Also, a good way to make sure ALL the settings are off is to run it through DM(L) Booter.

Good luck.

KatieOoT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, as far as running if off of a SD card it shouldn't change anything but if you wanted to do that you would need to change from DiosMios to DiosMiosLite.

Anyway, I'm kinda running out of ideas here, too. I don't actually have this game myself either but I, too, see it as working on the compatibility lists and remember back when they made the fix to make it work in the first place.

To make ABSOLUTELY sure it's not a bad rip, I'd say to compare the hashes with redump.org. Dolphin just kinda glazes over the code to get an idea of what it's doing and so can ignore/skip over some errors that won't be missed on a real machine. You could also TRY the GCReEx format and see if it helps anything I don't think it applies to these particular games but there are some games it works better for.

Also, a good way to make sure ALL the settings are off is to run it through DM(L) Booter.

Good luck.

The GCReEX format and the DM(L) Booter thing didn't work either. I think this is just a bad rip so I'm trying to get another (: Hoping that will work!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...