Homebrew how to play backup 3ds roms

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
my New 2DSXL came with Mario kart 7 preinstalled. onto a micro sd card. so if theres a way to get the games in that format and put int into a bigger Micro sd card. then perhaps that could work without modding?
Since you did not define “that format” this is up to my imagination*. That gives me some possibilities. Hihihi!

Can one install games to (micro-)SD without buying them and the eShop and without running custom code? Obviously not. That would be a really stupid feature (from Nintendo’s perspective). To install games that come in CIA files (CTR Importable Archive – CTR-001 = first 3DS model) you need to run highly privileged code.

The content of SD:/Nintendo3DS/<ID0>/<ID1> is encrypted with a system-unique key. You cannot add anything (meaningful) without having that key.² Having that key still does not allow to register new software (which is done on the internal NAND).

Okay. Next problem:
Signature checks. An unmodified 3DS system checks if a title is digitally signed with a key – big surprise – only Nintendo has. This can be done in two ways:
  • Signed for a specific console (paid eShop games)
  • Signed for all consoles (system titles and preinstalled games like your Mario Kart 7
An unmodified 3DS will only run software with good signature. Dumping your own cartridges, games installed on another 3DS or downloading illegal copies does not give the games a valid signature – with one exception: The preinstalled games.

What is possible without (permanent) modding – only loading custom firmware to RAM once: Installing all these titles that were preinstalled on a 2/3DS system. How? (Short description; no step-by-step guide)
  • ntrboot (with Luma as boot.firm on the micro-SD)
  • Rosalina inject the Homebrew Launcher into Download Play and start HB Launcher.
  • Start FBI and install universal legit CIAs.
  • Reboot. The 3DS has no CFW and the installed titles work.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
my New 2DSXL came with Mario kart 7 preinstalled. onto a micro sd card. so if theres a way to get the games in that format and put int into a bigger Micro sd card. then perhaps that could work without modding?
if all you want to do is to not lose your preinstalled MK7 and upgrade to a larger SD card, all you need to do is to copy all the files to the new SD card.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
if all you want to do is to not lose your preinstalled MK7 and upgrade to a larger SD card, all you need to do is to copy all the files to the new SD card.
This, and make sure to NOT put the new SD card in the console before transferring the files, or else the console will create a new Nintendo 3DS folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...