Hacking How to mod a Korean drive in a Pal Wii

pintdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The drive in my pal wii needs replacing (cogs teeth missing causing disk not to eject). Ive seen replacement drives on Dealextreme but im guessing there Korean drives (hong Kong/China). If i buy and use a Korean drive will the system menu then be Korean etc or will it still be pal. Also can you use any version drive in any wii.

If the menu does become Korean do i have to softmod again (the wii is presently softmodded with starfall and HBC installed)
and if someone could post the steps i need to do or point me in the right direction.

I suppose i am asking in a way is the system menu on/part of the drive or somewhere else.

All help greatly appreciated.

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think there's any difference between drives by region - unless they did something different with the Korean drives because of the different key, I don't know. I do know that drives from all other regions are definitely region free.

It's kinda irrelevant since I'm pretty sure the DX drives aren't Korean ones. They're probably pulled from NTSC-J consoles.

The System Menu is on the flash memory on the main board, not anywhere on the drive.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The drives don't have any say in decision making on whether something is in region or whether the information should be sent to the wii. The only thing the DVD player can decide is what speed to read a disc (eiter 6x for a WOD or 3x for a DVD)

The drives merely pass on the information to the wii, then the wii decides if it accepts or rejects a disc... so yes drives are completely region free.

pintdave

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the help im nearly set for buying one just they sell 2 d2b and d2c so is it ok to use any version in any wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?