How to load different OS from desktop icon with dual boot?

xXxSwagnemitexXx

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to have an icon on the Desktop that when double clicked will say a message (optional) then boot into a different OS? Cuz I have Windows 7 and 10 and if i'm on 10 and need to use 7 then I can just click the icon.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible. The desktop icon would have to connect to a program that configures the bootloader, whichever you have, to use something commonly called Boot Once (or whatever it's called in the bootloader) that temporarily overrides the default setting in the bootloader by telling it to boot from something else on the list. You just have to look at which bootloader you have and if it can be done with it. Just remember that this would potentially instantly reboot your PC, so be sure to save whatever you have before clicking the icon, as chances are you'd lose whatever you didn't save.

xXxSwagnemitexXx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's possible. The desktop icon would have to connect to a program that configures the bootloader, whichever you have, to use something commonly called Boot Once (or whatever it's called in the bootloader) that temporarily overrides the default setting in the bootloader by telling it to boot from something else on the list. You just have to look at which bootloader you have and if it can be done with it. Just remember that this would potentially instantly reboot your PC, so be sure to save whatever you have before clicking the icon, as chances are you'd lose whatever you didn't save.
Wow, that sounds confusing, but thanks! I have no idea what boot loader I have but it looks windows-ey.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant say ive looked into this, but if your after a one click to switch OS then i dont think that exists.

your easiest and best option would be to partition your master drive (C:) and have One operating system installed on one partition and another operating system on the other and when you boot you get the option to choose which OS you want to boot.

Or have 2 HDDs set as primary drives and different OS installed on each drive.

but to be fair anything Win7 can do, Win 10 can do

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that sounds confusing, but thanks! I have no idea what boot loader I have but it looks windows-ey.
Windows, by default, using it's own bootloader, I believe called BCD. Look up EasyBCD and iReboot, both by the same company. They aren't exactly desktop icons, but iReboot is a task tray icon.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Or what can be done is a .bat or script that'll link to the program itself but only start it after typing y if you saved everything and ready to switch.

xXxSwagnemitexXx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but to be fair anything Win7 can do, Win 10 can do
It's because different members of my familyare used to different OS's, my brother is Win10 and myself Win7.
Windows, by default, using it's own bootloader, I believe called BCD. Look up EasyBCD and iReboot, both by the same company. They aren't exactly desktop icons, but iReboot is a task tray icon.
Thanks
Or what can be done is a .bat or script that'll link to the program itself but only start it after typing y if you saved everything and ready to switch.
I wouldn't mind that
Thx for saving me some time

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because different members of my familyare used to different OS's, my brother is Win10 and myself Win7.

it seems a lot of messing for the sakes of liking one OS over another, and to be perfectly honest W10 is very similar to 7, when MS did 8 they totally fucked everything up with its lacking desktop/windows icon.

W10 by default boots like 7 would but keeps the tile blocks on your start bar which is handy because you can pin anything you like to it, or just pin to your taskbar or shortcuts on desktop.

only downfall i would say about win10 is certain parts if you need to change you have to fuck about going the long way where as before on 7 youd be taken to what you need straight away..... if youve ever had to configure or alter your network.

your probably better off settings an OS on each drive then, and password each account so no one else can gain access to your data.

xXxSwagnemitexXx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it seems a lot of messing for the sakes of liking one OS over another, and to be perfectly honest W10 is very similar to 7, when MS did 8 they totally fucked everything up with its lacking desktop/windows icon.

W10 by default boots like 7 would but keeps the tile blocks on your start bar which is handy because you can pin anything you like to it, or just pin to your taskbar or shortcuts on desktop.

only downfall i would say about win10 is certain parts if you need to change you have to fuck about going the long way where as before on 7 youd be taken to what you need straight away..... if youve ever had to configure or alter your network.

your probably better off settings an OS on each drive then, and password each account so no one else can gain access to your data.
I'll consider it, thanks for the info!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Another option worth considering is running Windows 7 as a virtual machine. It won’t be the full performance of Windows 7 running on its own due to the overhead of W10, but it would be much easier to launch from an icon on the desktop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a