Homebrew [How-to] Load a fw.img for Any File Dumping + WiiUBru status update

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just to get this hash confusion out, if you compiled fw.img before this commit, your md5 will most likely be different to the current ones. If you compiled it after, then your md5 will be
91aec1450002169e68c86ed1dc75cdbd from my branch and 55ddc0d6f3df3e11b54fedee719f6cf7 from dimoks branch.

Reactions: thaikhoa

ghostpotato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to get this hash confusion out, if you compiled fw.img before this commit, your md5 will most likely be different to the current ones. If you compiled it after, then your md5 will be
91aec1450002169e68c86ed1dc75cdbd from my branch and 55ddc0d6f3df3e11b54fedee719f6cf7 from dimoks branch.
i recompiled using the latest commit and got 91aec1450002169e68c86ed1dc75cdbd. Thanks for clarifying! :) Also, I had a quick question. Dumping the NAND can't brick my Wii U, right? (I assume so because I don't think it writes anything to NAND.)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After I dump my NAND, will I still need a 64GB SD card to run redNAND?
Yes, redNAND lives on the SD card. Hence the name redNAND, which is short for "Redirect NAND". It redirects NAND read/writes to a special partition on the SD which acts as the system NAND instead. This gives us the ability to prevent bricking the system NAND (which could only be fixed by hardmod) by instead using the SD as NAND, which if bricked would only require redumping and recreating redNAND, leaving the sysNAND (aka system NAND) mostly untouched.

ghostpotato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, redNAND lives on the SD card. Hence the name redNAND, which is short for "Redirect NAND". It redirects NAND read/writes to a special partition on the SD which acts as the system NAND instead. This gives us the ability to prevent bricking the system NAND (which could only be fixed by hardmod) by instead using the SD as NAND, which if bricked would only require redumping and recreating redNAND, leaving the sysNAND (aka system NAND) mostly untouched.
OK. Thanks! (I'm an idiot. I should have known this from the 3DS scene welp :P) Also, what do you mean, "mostly untouched?" Just curious.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry for the pestering, but I have another question. I booted CFWBooter and it seemed to load redNAND (loaded the home menu but showed some stuff on the GamePad first). Does that mean the NAND dump was successful? Using dimok's sdio_nand_extractor throws this error: NAND dump signature is not matching

Last edited by ghostpotato,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. Thanks! (I'm an idiot. I should have known this from the 3DS scene welp :P) Also, what do you mean, "mostly untouched?" Just curious.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry for the pestering, but I have another question. I booted CFWBooter and it seemed to load redNAND (loaded the home menu but showed some stuff on the GamePad first). Does that mean the NAND dump was successful? Using dimok's sdio_nand_extractor throws this error: NAND dump signature is not matching
If you leave NANDs linked it seems some things tend to leak between the NANDs. That and you will still use sysNAND for some things, so it won't be entirely untouched until we get a coldboothax, at which point we will either be using redNAND at boot, or we will have something like A9LH for 3ds where we have software sysNAND brick protection (booting homebrew with NAND read/write access before loading firmware.

Also can you explain everything that shows up?
To me it sounds like you probably are booting the wupserver version of fw.img, which only loads sysNAND with a special server on the Wii U that allows you to dump system files and modify a few files to do things like wuphax (vWii hacking from Wii U mode).
If you want to dump NAND and use redNAND you need to compile the fw.img from this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/stable-nand-dumper-rednand.446819/

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stable or not RedNand is still dangerous. Even with unlinked Nands that sysconfig tool (or any other) could still change values in your SEEPROM and brick your console. Read a lot and avoid doing anything not in the guides.

Last edited by Pachee,
Reactions: TheCyberQuake

balteck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It is possible to mount the content of Optical disk on WiiU and dump a game disc in encrypted form?

I see in wupclient.py that there is a function called mount_odd_content() other then def mount_odd_tickets() used to dump ticket from inserted disk.

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to mount the content of Optical disk on WiiU and dump a game disc in encrypted form?

I see in wupclient.py that there is a function called mount_odd_content() other then def mount_odd_tickets() used to dump ticket from inserted disk.
Try it. I doubt you'll brick if you are on RedNAND.

balteck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I cannot try because I've not compiled the fw.img neither builded redNand.
I didn't check GBA Temp for a while and I discovered only today about brazilian method and wupserver.

But if it is possible, I can compile it. For now I'm trying to understand what happened while I was out of business...

For my 6-years son, the best is to install games directly on USB with RealNAND, so he can play without starting any hacks.
For me, it is interesting how to overcome some limitation of DDD (for example I was unable to dump COD BO2 because it dumped partial RPL Files) and install it on console, putting the BluRay in safe place

Fabbbrrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Have same Problem. stays a bit red and tells mount something and then goes whitescreen

Guru Meditation Error (prefetch abort)
r0= some hex numbers
r1=...
r15=...

Console Crashes
Hey there, have you solved this?

Anybody else getting this error? Couldn't find anything related to this in the guides.

Help appreciated!

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone, got a little problem trying to compiling armips to make my fw.img, saying "Makefile:37: *** missing separator. Stop." when i try to "make".
Not really familiar with all of that, managed to cmake, then trying to make it give me this, would like some little help :)

D

Deleted User

Hello everyone, got a little problem trying to compiling armips to make my fw.img, saying "Makefile:37: *** missing separator. Stop." when i try to "make".
Not really familiar with all of that, managed to cmake, then trying to make it give me this, would like some little help :)
Well, that's obviously a bug in the Makefile that CMake created, unless you edited it afterwards. Not sure what that error means, but you shouldn't have to fix it yourself, because it shouldn't be there.

Check if you're using up-to-date versions of Make (Cygwin/MinGW, Xcode Command Line Tools or from your package manager, depending on your platform) and CMake.

Though if you can;t be screwed updating your stuff just now, then just look up "makefile missing separator" and you should be able to find an answer.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, that's obviously a bug in the Makefile that CMake created, unless you edited it afterwards. Not sure what that error means, but you shouldn't have to fix it yourself, because it shouldn't be there.

Check if you're using up-to-date versions of Make (Cygwin/MinGW, Xcode Command Line Tools or from your package manager, depending on your platform) and CMake.

Though if you can;t be screwed updating your stuff just now, then just look up "makefile missing separator" and you should be able to find an answer.
Searched a LOT to fix that, but was out of options, so i searched for a armips 0.8 alying around for reinand or Luma3DS :( sad ! I and still had a problem because my armips was a debug one and i needed a release one x), still got it afterward, fw.img operational and contenthax working perfectly :).

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

hey, I'm just curious, why isn't possible yet for lower sd cards , i got a wiiu with 32gb, and im just curious why it can't be equal or higher. is anyone going to enable for that to happen. I have 32 gb sd, and not a 64... but best of luck

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, I'm just curious, why isn't possible yet for lower sd cards , i got a wiiu with 32gb, and im just curious why it can't be equal or higher. is anyone going to enable for that to happen. I have 32 gb sd, and not a 64... but best of luck
When we say that an SD card is 32 GBs we are rounding to get that number. There's imperfections and dead sectors. Salt members (I think I remember) were talking about "¿shrinking?" the MLC (not sure what terms that means tho).

brkun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible to install the DS VC exploit (Brain Training) to have access to homebrew launcher offline with fw.img and cfw booter?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly